Trader Joe's 2024: YEA/NAY/MEH

Re-enlisting for Leap Year. Please remember to capitalize the grade you’re bestowing, and if you know it, the item name as labeled by TJ’s.

11 Likes

YEA to the Mafalda Corta from the new pasta series. Glad I bought a few packs of this while it was in stock, and hoping they rotate the shape back in at some point.

3 Likes

YEA: Shortbread sandwich cookies with raspberry filling. The filling has just the right amount of tartness so it’s not overly sweet. Will definitely buy again, if it’s still around (which is a whole other story…)

3 Likes

Just picked up a couple of new items, and I was wondering if anyone else had tried them yet:

• Lucky Dog sake - got this on a whim, because it looked intriguing.
  • Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste - I saw someone rave about this on Twitter, so I mentioned it to my wife (who bakes) and she said let’s try it. It sounds like it could be amazing in homemade ice cream.
3 Likes

YAY to the roasted Oregon hazelnuts. It’s hard to get good quality hazelnuts where 2/3 aren’t rancid or taste off. Obviously I haven’t finished the entire bag :smile:, but they worked quite beautifully in a salad for which I bought them.

6 Likes

Looking for the scallion pancakes, which were not in stock, found these instead. Has anyone tried them?
(sorry if I missed a YEA/NAY/MEH already).
Looking forward to trying them.

2 Likes

These are Chinese / Taiwanese scallion pancakes – I assume you were looking for the Korean ones / pajeon.

They’re good, uncooked as opposed to the Korean ones or the Indian Malabar parottas. They all go in and out of stock by turn.

4 Likes

I’ve used the vanilla bourbon paste. It’s very nice but I wouldn’t say I noticed a difference in the flavor of what I made. Unfortunately can’t remember what it was, so much holiday baking.

1 Like

These were uncooked, so not sure I would eat them raw? I know the scallion pancakes they typically carry, and that I was looking for, are cooked. I have not seen these before in the store I frequent.
It was pretty good, although I would not add oil to my (non-stick) pan next time.

2 Likes

The importance of a comma :sweat_smile:

Reminded me of

10 Likes

YAY for the Tête de Moin rosettes.

YAY for the organic whole chicken - consistently good quality & flavorful.

1 Like

Nay for the double chocolate croissants. The chocolate in the dough (the double part) makes the dough bitter and unflaky. 0 for 4 in my household.

I’m with you - MEH

I like those, too, but I like the ones with jam AND creme, carried by Walgreens and CVS, even better. We used to get them under the house label at Safeway, and it looks like a variety is made in Canada and sold on Amazon.

https://images.app.goo.gl/xGUunRbuFgfY5Qpp9

3 Likes

Mmmm jam biscuits.

I sometimes get the garlic naan, have decided they are too thick. I used a good serrated knife to slice into thin pieces, into toaster oven, then a smear of cultured Brittany butter.

nay to the “French” apple tatin tartlet. Two in a pack and frozen. Tried them together, One nuked and one heated in the oven. Flavor was the same, a badly sweetened apple-sauce taste on mushy apples. The nuked one the pastry was , as expected, an unnoticeable mush, the baked one, the pastry where crisp was like the crunchy part of an eggo waffle crossed with a biscuit/cracker.

2 Likes

I have a new invention: Sometimes I buy the garlic naan bread but I think it’s way too thick.

Now that easy but I take my serrated Victoronix paring knife, cut one into quarters, then slice each quarter into two slices. Toast in toaster oven.

Swipe on the cultured butter from Brittany.

Nice crunch.

5 Likes
4 Likes

(post deleted by author)