Trader Joe's 2024: YEA/NAY/MEH

YAY to the Kimbap, except that I think it’s sold out everywhere. I should have bought two (famous last words). However, my local Korean store has recently advertised what looks like the same product, but in three flavors–bulgogi and spicy bulgogi in addition to veggie. The brand is Sunlit if you want to look for it.

I microwaved it (took it out of the wrapper before reading the instructions, but then I put it back in, so learn from my error) and I did give them a quick fry to crisp them up because I had a pan out from a Taiwanese scallion pancake (perennial YAY). Otherwise not necessary.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the kimbap again after the first time :joy:

Went to TJs after a while today, and whaddya know, they had both kinds of scallion pancakes in stock (Korean and Taiwanese). Both are continuing YEAs.

I may have YEA’d this before — Furikake. I was skeptical given it’s missing a lot of the ingredients of the other ones, but it’s delicious in its simplicity.

I also picked up the new Aglio Olio spice mix before they run out of it.

YEA for sumo oranges at 2.49 each (vs 3.99 at WF)…

YEA for the Middle eastern kababs which seem to be here to stay (fingers crossed).

No Spanish tortilla in sight, nor Kimbap.

2 Likes

Our local TJs told us they can’t order Kimbap until
early February. OTOH a cashier at another (larger) TJs in a nearby city said they’d just had some in last week.

I saw these…tell me more?

Venture carefully — they spoil you for other oranges

4 Likes

Wow! Thanks. Will try (with requisite trepidation).

Fascinating: “After harvesting, dekopon are usually left for a period of 20–40 days so that the levels of citric acid in the fruit decrease, while the sugar levels increase to make a more appealing taste to market. Only fruits with sugar level above 13°Bx and citric acid below 1.0% can be sold with the name dekopon.[7]”

Kinda like aging potatoes for French fries. Or sort of the opposite of fermentation into alcohol.

2 Likes

As someone who lives in Japan and in a area that is widely known for citrus, please allow me to butt in here. Indeed, “sumo orange” is the marketing name for “dekopon” or “ shiranuhi or shiranui”. They are delicious to be sure, but even here in Japan there’s quite the premium on them price wise. However, to me, it’s extremely hard (but not impossible) to tell the difference in taste and even less so in appearance between a “sumo orange” and the citrus fruit(s) known by either “tangelo”/“minneola” or the marketed name of “Honeybell”. “Sumo oranges” are almost always bigger, however. But “tangelo”/“minneola”/“Honeybells” are usually MUCH more reasonably priced.

If you love citrus fruit but have never had a “tangelo”/“minneola”/“Honeybell”, I wholeheartedly recommend you try one!

6 Likes

“Sweetly tart” sounds up my alley.

1 Like

I grew up with Indian oranges that look (and taste) like a smaller version of Sumos, but have seeds.

The flavor is very distinct from American oranges (navel being the dominant variety).

I agree tangelos are close, but the sweetness and flavor of a good sumo is pretty distinctive.

3 Likes

To me, there’s a very faint taste of “spiciness” (like cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg”, NOT “chili pepper” spiciness!) to them as well. That might sound odd, but it works.

1 Like

Now to sample some of both!

3 Likes

For the first time I tried the fresh tortellini with spinach, NAY for me. I topped with a bit of butter and freshly grated Parmesan, could not taste any spinach. It was edible but not a repeat buy; I’ll go back to the lemon-ricotta ravioli when it’s available again.

1 Like

Pfft to sumos, honeybells, etc. It’s getting to be Sky Valley Heirloom Navel season. They are the “Mackinaw Peach” of oranges (Seinfeld reference).

1 Like

Wegmans has had sumos for years, so I’m kinda baffled @ChristinaM’s never encountered them anywhere. I get a few as a treat, but the ones at our local TJ’s haven’t looked that great. Same with the poms :woman_shrugging:t3:

@ChristinaM lives in Asheville, NC. The nearest Wegman’s is over 200 miles away. And Wegman’s is in only 8 states.

1 Like

Right. But sumo oranges have been available in several of my local supermarkets, and not just recently. I mean… we don’t grow them in the northeast, at least AFAIK :wink:

Let’s just be happy that she now has access to them as well.

The furikake is Nori Komi, which is indeed pretty basic, but it’s great in Chex mix: https://www.justonecookbook.com/furikake-chex-mix/

1 Like

That’s not what I said though - rather, that I’ve not tried them yet.