Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

Pears are ripe when the stem area is getting soft.

4 Likes

I believe it’s just the salted.

1 Like

we are a nay on kringle, initially liked it but find it too sweet now. the dark chocolate stars were a yay as was Camembert packaged in a circular box with some sort of cloth or paper underneath.

we like some of the ravioli but find some of it far too sweet, but I keep forgetting which is which!

The raclette is back :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: (that’s a YAY).

3 Likes

When you are hungry. :upside_down_face:

Braised pork shoulder with fig and apricot sauce: between a Yay and Meh.

I let it sit in it bag for 30+ minutes before putting it in a shallow baking dish.

1. Needed more than 30 minutes to fully heat up.

2. Sauce was shallow, so I augmented with a bit of white wine and maybe a half Tbsp of fig paste, which melted into the sauce.

Not bad, but I think it needed more oomph. Would I buy it again? Probably not. But it’ll be good for a couple more meals…maybe thinly sliced for a panino.

4 Likes

I hate savory foods that are sweet, too. Could it be the ricotta corn ravs? I didn’t find them off-putting since corn is inherently sweet, but haven’t bought those since… well, since corn was in season :slight_smile:

Was it very sweet? Fig and apricot both sounds like overkill for a pork dish to me.

2 Likes

II find butternut squash ravioli (any, not TJ’s specifically) cloying. I like winter squash, but not in that context.

1 Like

I don’t care for most winter squash bc of their inherent sweetness.

Surprisingly not, at least for my taste buds. There was more fig flavor (even before I added the fig paste) than anything. I got no apricot flavor at all.

It could stand to be amped up with a bit of heat, IMO.

2 Likes

I’m late to the party in trying the frozen unbaked croissants. When we decided to simplify the holidays exceedingly this year and outsource some of our Christmas day food, I thought we’d try these in lieu of homemade pastry, so we baked up a box each of the almond and chocolate versions. While they won’t compete with our better local bakeries (we have some really good croissants in the SF Bay Area), they served nicely where we’d prefer something freshly baked and warm over day-old and refreshed.

There is a box of the plain minis in my freezer for another use, and I managed to still score puff pastry on Christmas Eve.

6 Likes

I think the asparagus risotto is stuck midway between Meh and Yea. The rice is all wrong, and the dish ends up too wet, but it’s tasty and quick.

YAY for the new bag of seedless lemons

Easier than the big bags of lemons from Costco.

1 Like

Nay for us, not much flavor & wrappers too thick. Maybe we just got a bad batch…

Mayhaps. I’ve seen other negative reviews on them. The wrappers in our case were delicate & we liked the flavor overall. I haven’t purchased them since, however, as I currently have a surplus of any variety of dim sum/dumplings in the freezer :slight_smile:

Don’t forget the ‘Tim tan slam’ with a nice hot cup of tea.

I’ve tried it with these. They work very well.

YAY for the Cinnamon Bun Inspired Joe-Joe’s. They’re a bit sweet, but they do taste like a cinnamon bun, and props for the sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on the outside.

YAY for the Gluten Free Organic Rolled Oats with Ancient Grains & Seeds. It cooks up much faster than regular oatmeal–I wonder if the oats are the “instant” kind. My wife gives a MEH to the morning mug muffin recipe on the package, though.

1 Like

Affirmative

2024 thread is here: