Trader Joe's meta-discussion

Unfortunately I agree with you. The choice for me often comes down to who is the least hostile to their employees, and even that is a matter of how well they hide their hostility.

3 Likes

Given the coming AI/robot/automation job-pocalypse (that’s due to arrive any day now and has been for the last 100 years) I look forward to the day that all companies are staffed entirely by artificial workers and ‘employee’ will be a quaint concept as we all get gourmet meals from our replicator units and walk through automatic doors in silver jumpsuits with big shoulder pads.

2 Likes

…and then they become self-aware and start wiping us out. I’ve seen that movie, and most of the sequels!

Coincidentally, Mrs. ricepad and I settled down to watch the first sequel on August 29, 1997. We didn’t know it was The Day when we decided to watch it.

So frightening, I think about this constantly.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

It’s here.

It looks like TJ’s has joined the SpaceX lawsuit, or possibly filed one of their own, to declare the NLRB unconstitutional. I’m torn now.

ations-board-is-unconstitutional-and-other-labor-news/

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

Food for thought, ha ha.

1 Like

Yeah, some companies that seek to project a socially-responsible, law-abiding image can be neither. Even beloved REI.

Compare with Patagonia…

1 Like

I tried the frozen Garlicy Pasta. Salty. Again I didn’t read the label in the store.

Best thing about is it’s fast, won’t be a repeat buy by me.

8 Likes

Ugh

1 Like

I thought this was widely known.

1 Like

Not surprising - Aldi in Germany (which is more or less the parent company of TJ) has a quite questionable reputation of screwing off other companies through their “house labels” - not really surprising that TJ is most likely using similar approaches. One of the many reasons why we don’t buy anything at Aldi or TJ

2 Likes

Reminds me a lot of this coverage: https://www.grubstreet.com/2022/01/roasted-garlic-achaar-trader-joes-brooklyn-delhi.html

(I think I shared it before)

1 Like

"“Ethnic foods are specialized items; there’s so much history and culture and tradition that you can’t do simple knockoffs like you do with everyday items like ketchup or mayo,” he said. “You need brands like ours to educate you.”

Yeah, that’s why people shop at TJs. To be educated about the history and culture and tradition of the products they sell. /s

2 Likes

I think they meant that the company who is making the knockoff needs to be educated about the product. While I have some sympathy for small food brands competing with the giants. Once you decide to sell out to them, fail to protect your recipes and then get the bad end of the deal. Well, welcome to Capitalism.

3 Likes

As someone who created a number of consulting offerings over the course of their career only to have them eventually “appropriated” by other companies, not sure how I feel about tj’s practices in this regard. To my eye it’s unfortunate but the way of the world.

Best,

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

Goodness, I wasn’t expecting this level of jaded, small ethnic / minority entrepreneurs are idiots, TJs is just mainstream capitalist type whaddya expect responses here.

3 Likes