Tips when you're old and hungry

I’m old and hungry. No options for delivery and takeout. I did manage a walk around grocery shop several days ago but aside from freezing some of the meat products I open the refrigerator and look at the veggies and say “I don’t want to eat you raw and and I’m not up to cooking you”.

SOS
Help.

4 Likes

Are you asking for help for tonight? Do you have a piece of cheese! Do you have any canned goods like tuna? I keep tuna and nuts. For me, nuts are a great choice for times like this.

7 Likes

This is when a nosh of nuts and cheese and crackers, as @shrinkrap suggested, augmented with grapes or sliced apples, works for me.

Or a tuna melt sandwich and potato chips.

4 Likes

If you can get it together to boil water and do a little slicing and mashing, you can have deviled eggs, shrimp cocktail and a caprese salad. Bake a potato and really go to town.

Or just make sure there’s ramen and frozen mac&cheese in the house.

6 Likes

Thanks to all of you - I found a viable English muffin in the fridge. Toasted it - slathered it with Teddy chunky peanut butter and put the end of some strawberry jam on it. Haven’t been feeling well and either has my husband. He’s better at cooking for himself than I am. We’ll be ok.

20 Likes

I feel you.

9 Likes

A microwaved potato (Irish or sweet) is effortless, warm and filling. Just butter, or +cheese, or with a splat of odd leftovers. BTW, when you or husband DO cook, think of creating some leftovers which will be a godsend on these (increasingly frequent) “don’t want to cook” nights.

13 Likes

When I’m hungry and lazy I’ll take a slice of nice crusty bread, toast it, top it with a fat slice of young gouda or havarti, nuke it till it’s melted, sprinkle some paprika on top, maybe thinly sliced onion, sprinkle of oregano.

This was my SGP = single girl pizza many nights in my 20s.

7 Likes
3 Likes

5 minutes in the microwave with some water and this fine dinner could be yours!!

You could always drain off the water and add butter – flavor packet optional.
When Sunshine goes out to dinner with her girlfriends and I don’t have to cook, I get to eat my old college favorite.

10 Likes

Oops… didn’t see your post about ramen. Can I second the ramen suggestion??

I also have this pasta boat thingy, its great if I need a quick meal and don’t want to dirty up a pot, strainer & plate… Pasta, water, salt – microwave a few minutes - then drain - then add some pesto & a little olive oil and eat right out of the thing.

6 Likes

+1 On what others suggested stocking for times like these – I keep crackers & cookies, nuts, canned fish (tuna, sardines), and a bunch of stuff in the freezer (bread, smoked salmon, cold cuts, cheese backup in case fridge stuff gets moldy) in addition to a few frozen convenience meals / snacks.

When there is no energy for toast (never mind an egg), I will snack my way through the pantry stuff. A bit more energy and I’ll freezer dive.

Hope you and mr. retrospek both feel a bit better soon, and that something in the pantry, fridge, or freezer calls out to you.

9 Likes

I always have several cans of chicken noodle soup in the pantry.

4 Likes

I have to re-stock that red and white can…I don’t even dilute it with water when I feel like sh!t.

6 Likes

I don’t either, a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onion elevates it.

2 Likes

I just crush up saltines and turn it into a salt laden casserole

5 Likes

Some kind of cheese melted on whatever bread is around - sliced, bagel, English muffin, crackers. This has been my favorite comfort food my whole life - young and older. I also like matzoh ball soup, and chicken noodle soup (usually Progresso). A couple of glasses of white wine never hurt.

5 Likes

Baked potatoes, or even simple boiled new potatoes, are simple and filling.

3 Likes

I hope you can all feel better soon. It’s okay not to want to cook everyday, all the time.

4 Likes