What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Not seasonal or advertised but so easy and tasty. Thaw some chicken broth. Season with New Mexico chile powder and cumin. Thaw and slice the extra chicken thighs grilled for Taco Tuesday. Cut and crisp tortilla strips. Place tortilla strips and cubed avocado in bowl and add seasoned broth. Top with crumbled queso fresco and cilantro. Add a hearty

squeeze of lime.

27 Likes

Chicken tortilla soup. A meal in itself. It doesn’t get any better than that. One of my favorites.

7 Likes

Jealous

2 Likes

Maple ginger salmon with leeks, tomato pie without the crust, white scallop squash with pecorino and crumbs, garden bits and bobs. Purchased angel food cake with roasted plums for dessert.

25 Likes

Mrs. P made her famous savory and sweet grilled boneless quail breast salad with grilled figs, roasted delicata squash and mini peppers, watermelon, green and red basil, sauteed red onions, arugula, candied pecans, and a bunch of other ingredients, with a balsamic reduction. We topped it off with fresh shaved pecorino romano cheese. We started with homemade guacamole. It went great with an excellent Zinfandel.

24 Likes

I’ve had a somewhat trying week, so tonight’s dinner was a half bagel from the freezer with Sungolds from the porch, sliced red onion and cream cheese. I kind of wish I’d taken a picture, 'cause the Sungolds were the exact same color as the plate. But…somewhat trying week.

18 Likes

I was in a pinch today, and DH ended up cooking the planned dinner: green bean fried rice.

This recipe was selected to use up some garden green beans - he doubled the amount. Some peas which were floating around were added, as well, along with an extra egg. This was very good, and either one of us would make it again.

28 Likes

Gambas al ajillo, tortilla de coliflor with aioli, pan con tomate, fried Padrons and green olives stuffed with capers, wrapped in anchovies and piquillo peppers. A gin & tonic and sangria.
We had thunder and lightening last night, a few minutes of actual rain. Today was overcast, cool and damp. I hope it had some effect on the fires in the area.

27 Likes

Tuna salad on rye with frozen fries and salad

27 Likes

I made another batch of the ramen slaw that was so tasty earlier in the week. Pressure cooked artichokes. Because TGIF, I cracked open a Grocery Outlet impulse buy Yolo County Malbec.

27 Likes

We shared a Panera’s Greek style lemon chicken soup and a toasted Angel pita bread from WF.
Hit the spot!

14 Likes

We had a chicken saagwala last night with naan bread, salted tomato and watermelon for dessert. Delicious and light. I’ll be sad when the watermelons will go out of season.

23 Likes

Biryani redux tonight.

I reheated the frozen leftovers from the other night along with another order. Baasi (stale) biryani tastes pretty excellent, but different than fresh.

Mom had veg momos (we had momos last night).

19 Likes

Last night was a chicken gyro kit from Aldi (Bremmer). I swapped out the white pita for ww. We prefer the regular gyros, but these were OK. We added harissa, chopped tomatoes, and baba ghannouj.

22 Likes

Looks warming and cooling at the same time!

Calrose rice with pork tenderloin, chorizo, bacon, green peppers, spinach, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, lemon juice

17 Likes

Terrible pic of tasty dinner: farmers market arugula, frisée and tomato with soft marinated sheep and goat cheese, drizzled with the marinating oil (as was the toasted ciabatta, post-pic). So good!!

24 Likes

#3 combo from Dave’s Hot Chicken, and man was it hot :hot_face:

17 Likes

I had tofu scrambled with smoked paprika and a slice of marble rye toast, plus a decaf coffee. Random but I am trying to trim calories.

16 Likes

Ugh. Had a perfectly good dinner all set to go, and sort of wrecked it by zoning out on the oven timer (I honestly don’t remember hearing it go off!), so it was in the 375° oven WAY longer than it should have been.

Pre-roasted chopped asparagus and red bell peppers, caramelized onion, chopped sauteed applewood-smoked bacon, shredded gruyere cheese, and dried thyme mixed with whupped eggs and heavy cream.

Blind-baked the Pillsbury crust, poured the egg mixture in, and it was supposed to bake at 375° for 45 minutes. I think it was 55 minutes or a bit more. Let it rest for 15 minutes.

Slightly dry on the edges, and too “settled” for my taste, but will work for work lunches, now that we have a semblance of a kitchen with both toaster and microwave ovens.

There was wine.

26 Likes