Tips when you're old and hungry

Exactly. A bowl of cereal or even a handful of cheddar Goldfish has been dinner in the past for me.

8 Likes

for when i have absolutely NO energy, canned tuna is my emergency go to.

plain greek yogurt and scallions, if available, if not, sundried tomatoes in oil and pine nuts. I try to be sure there always at least six cans in the cupboard.

6 Likes

soft boiled eggs with toast is always welcome on days like this.
Also like Trader Joe’s Thai dumplings from the freezer.
Hope you are feeling yourself soon. :plate_with_cutlery:

7 Likes

Yes! Extra points (from me) for low carb ideas.

2 Likes

I remember that!

I’ve got the Fasta Pasta. I love it. Quick meals!

2 Likes

And its first cousin, cup o noodles. I like Maruchan Instant Lunch -roast chicken flavor. If I have green onions, I’ll slice some in at the end. I’ve been known to add dehydrated onion flakes at the beginning. But it’s fine as is if you’re hungry.

I’d also suggest those Bumble Bee snack on the go packs with tuna and crackers Pro tip: keep a box in the refrigerator. The tuna “mix” is much more palatable cold. And if you have raw onion, even better.

I keeps packs of nuts, always and Ritz peanut butter crackers - which was dinner many times when I had classes at night and no time to stop after work.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Vienna sausages - the go-to snack when bayou fishing. With saltines and a nice cold coke that;s been kept in the ice chest - with the fish.

I’ll see myself out …

4 Likes

Annie’s Mac & Cheese, sometimes I add a can of tuna.

Toast

Fried egg sandwich

1 Like

Protein - yellowfin in oil, tinned mackerel, Brisling sardines/smoked sprats, smoked trout. I keep frozen cooked shrimp in the freezer, defrost a handful in your hand under running water or in a small bowl of water - no further prep necessary for me.

Hydration - cool water, mug of heated water sipped slowly, broth (+ non fussy add-ins), juice - my fav is tomato juice. I keep a case of tomato sauce on hand, one can refrigerated, mixed about 1-1 with chilled water (thicker than store bought tomato juice), start guzzling. Fills you up, refreshes, tasty, lots of good phytochemicals, 140 cals per quart.

Toast and butter

Amen to many of the suggestions above.

4 Likes

Love dumplings. I sprinkle them with a shake of vinegar, a dash of soy sauce, a shake or sugar, a few drops of sesame oil and a grind of chili pepper. Makes it feel like a lunch out.

I’ll also add boiled perogies, with butter and sour cream. With fried onions, bacon and/or mushrooms when I feel inspired.

3 Likes

Nuked cheese on carbs is my go-to. I use bread, Triscuits, Tortilla chips, rice, leftover potato, leftover pasta, leftover polenta.

Easy comfort:
Lentil soup
Sourdough toast with butter
Quesadilla
Nuked then airfried baked potato with canned chili

Extreme case:
Tater tots browned in a CI skillet with a chopped up green chile or two

1 Like

I feel you. I’d bring you some takeout if I lived closer!

Others already have shared the nuts, cheese, cracker thing which is a holy trinity of instant sustenance for me. Because of my history with migraines, I got into a habit of keeping other staples around the house in case I’m alone during the recovery phase and need energy.

Additional go-tos for me are:

Graham crackers with peanut butter, sprinkled with pumpkin seeds (Bob’s Red Mill is my choice)

Greek yogurt or labne topped with various combinations of nuts/fruit/granola

Dried fruit, especially medjool dates or mission figs because I can combine with other items or enjoy as a snack. Also candied ginger with sugar coating when my stomach needs soothing.

Any fresh vegetables or fruit that are low prep. I look for ways to make them into a meal. Avocado smashed on English muffin, for instance. This time of year, I’m all about tomato sandwiches made with Dukes mayo and Cabot pepperjack cheese. I’m adding thinly sliced cucumber to my tomato sandwiches right now. Come to think of it, cream cheese and cucumber is a retro combo that’s due for a comeback.

Also I have zero shame in eating a couple handfuls of tortilla chips when I’m running on empty. Helps me to reenergize myself enough to assemble a more sustaining food choice. (Our dog likes this one because a chip might accidentally land in her bowl. Possibly no living creature enjoys a tortilla chip more.)

8 Likes

@retrospek , if you have the energy to open a can of cream of mushroom soup, add some sour cream and shredded cheddar, schwarties’ potatoes aka funeral potatoes are a comfort food for me. Can be made with leftover potato, frozen hash browns or tater tots. I don’t add the butter. When I make it for us, I eyeball the measurements based on what’s in the fridge and how much I want to make, and size down the recipe. https://www.bestofbridge.com/hash-brown-potatoes-schwarties/

1 Like

meant to mention: italian yellowfin in olive oil.

3 Likes

Last night DH made us fried egg sandwiches. Hoping to dig around and find something in the freezer to thaw and heat for today. No energy to mix or assemble much of anything. Unusual for both of us to feel lousy at the same time.

7 Likes

AAA OLDER AND CRANKIER

23 Likes

I couldn’t even get it together to order in (also, I didn’t want to pay for it). But I’m in better shape now, thanks!

2 Likes

Me too, @retrospek, me too

1 Like

Yeah, birthdays add up and we’re officially old - crossed the bridge to that demographic. Live remotely, no kids, no DoorDash or Uber or delivery. We had a bunker mentality during the pandemic and stocked up on essentials - still using the last of the case of Kuner’s spicy black beans. So now we have to think ahead when neither one of us can get out of the house. I was a Girl Scout. “Be prepared” - remember that motto? I just never imagined I’d be this old and hungry.

7 Likes