What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

You betcha

Picked up an 8 oz filet today and some broccoli and was very close to making a standard steak-potato-vegetable meal but did not feel like the clean-up. So a one wok meal it was. I also had an Uncle Ben’s microwavable pouch rice (Jasmine) in the pantry which is usually kept as a last resort (I make great basmati rice). Well, tonight was my 14th lecture in 29 days so, yeah, last resort.

Steak was sliced and got the velveting treatment and a quick marinade of LS soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic. Stir-fried with blanched broccoli, onion, green chili, and a stir-fry sauce.

Not a martini tonight, but a Manhattan. With Jack Daniel’s.

27 Likes

Take-out chicken and rice soup

and chicken tamal

from Pancho y Emiliano in Toronto’s Kensington Market

17 Likes

Slowly eating my purchases from Flushing Chinatown the other day. Peking duck buns, char siu ribs, rice, scalion ginger sauce.

19 Likes

Making me feel like a slacker for buying those TJs potstickers every time I even think about making dumplings from scratch :joy:

(Have you tried lacy gyoza yet? Love the crunch, and last time my pan was just as full as yours and the lace and the gyoza still worked out…)

5 Likes

Lol. If I could get decent frozen potstickers where I live, I’d buy them in a heartbeat. They would make a great reserve for when one is Old and Hungry. As it is, I can’t even find the wrappers here, which I would also buy if I could get them.

I got greedy last night and made a little extra in the batch. They just fit! To my credit, there wasn’t a scrap of either dough or filling left at the end - typically I’m left with a little of either (but not both).

I have not tried it with the lace, but I remember your photo! I was thinking about it last night, in fact. One of these days, I’ll give it a try.

7 Likes

You are pretty hard on yourself - that is a quality meal, packaged rice or not. Hardly a last resort which around here would be nuked rice with a fried egg on top, kimchi on the side if I am not on fumes. Your dinner looks great!!

7 Likes

Very nice

I found a bag of roasted eggplant cubes in the freezer yesterday so dinner was a SK recipe for Simple Eggplant Parm. I reheated the eggplant cubes in a 425 oven to dry them a bit, then layered with tomato sauce and cheese. A little bit of panko in there to emulate the breaded nature of a usual parm. Quite delicious actually. Served with green salad. I am usually not hungry for breakfast right away in the AM so am planning a mid morning reprise.

Pic of Deb’s work as my phone was charging in the office and not available at dinner time.

10 Likes

Raining kittens and puppies.

Mini-fridge cleanout and 7-11 dash.

Chile cab/merlot. Yes, there was wine. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

That sounds & looks utterly delicious!

1 Like

WOWZAH. Did I mention I’m up for adoption? :pleading_face:

3 Likes

Nippon charcuterie plate?

4 Likes

It’s one of my favorite recipes by her! Making the ground masala is a little time consuming, but once it is made (makes a bunch) it can live in the fridge or freezer. Totally worth it!

1 Like

It’s beans & greens season!

20 Likes

Tue & Wed were leftovers (grilled salmon & fennel gratin; Deetroit pizzazz) for dinner.

Yesterday my band played at our favorite bar in town, which is a bit of a home game for us (it’s my regular watering hole & the usual locash for my ladies night). They also do a spooktacular job at decorating the joint. Before we went on, my PIC and I split the pulled pork tostadas with pineapple salsa & the crab fries. The pulled pork was a-ok, I didn’t eat my tostada. The crab fries were delish, even though the fries were a bit anemic. Very generous amount of lump crab.

Pardon the shitty pics.

Going out tonight. Don’t feel like cooking.

18 Likes

The fries look good in the picture… Are they more of a poutine? It looks like there may or may not be gravy with the fries and crab.

They were called “The Inman Fries” (don’t ask :woman_shrugging:) and listed as follows: French fries, lumb crab, Parmesan cheese, roasted garlic gravy.

So your poutine assessment is on point :slight_smile:

I mostly picked off the crab as I was already stuffed from the pulled pork I had, plus the fries were underdone. Bummer, bc it would’ve been a very successful dish had the fries been crispier/darker.

That chef has some problems with potatoes, it seems (a recent dish of lox and fingerlings presented me with near raw taters - yikes!) :laughing:

3 Likes

Those fries remind me of something we ate about a year ago in Hancock MD - BuddyLou’s Famous Crab Fries. Essentially fries with lump crab meat, cheese, and garlic aioli. Really delicious. Four of us, admittedly starving after a day of riding, gobbled these down as an app and considered ordering a second platter.

1 Like

There is a Korean grocery store near my apartment building that now sells prepared meals and they now have my latest food addiction - Korean fried chicken. Most days it’s the type with sweet chili sauce (meh) but sometimes they have the ones with a breaded crust like KFC but Korean :slight_smile: When I went there last week they had the wings with the sweet chili sauce and this time they came with fries. I don’t know what they did to those poor potatoes but the fries were overcooked and soggy. Note to self: just get the chicken and go to McDonalds up the street for the fries.

3 Likes