Tighter regulations or a ban on gas stoves coming?

No, electric stoves do not emit NO2. The only emissions are whatever evaporates from the food you are cooking.

You are correct. There was a time when many gas appliances, including space heaters, were simply vented indoors. The danger from carbon monoxide is obvious. Less so is that from soot, oxides of nitrogen, and especially with fracked natural gas, radon. I have gas heat, gas hot water, and a gas dryer but all are vented outside. The furnace and water heater both draw combustion air from outside as well reducing heat loss. But at the end of the day, we as a society need to move away from burning fossil fuels. Ending the installation of new appliances that use them is a good start.

1 Like

This whole flap is reminiscent of the furor over eliminating lead in automotive fuels. Unleaded gasoline has been the norm for years now and the world did not end as the right was certain it would.

This is all over the map. On one hand, everyone who talk about banning gas are conspiracy theorists and they are prejudices…or whatever names you have called them. Then, you often state that we should start banning gas as soon as possible. It is better for the world and it is how the future should be.
You are using “eliminating lead” as an example which actually happened. You are using an example of something banned in your argument and then also tell other people that they are overreacing and being conspiracy theorists about gas stoves may get banned. Do we have two people using your account? Are these two persons arguing with each other? :sweat_smile:
Do you mind creating a separate account for each person, so it is less confusing?

1 Like

Yes, but this thread got legs in a much broader sense. I think it’s illustrative of people who want to ban all gas appliances to save the planet seizing upon things like this “study” to push agendas to impose on others.

I mean, if the push was to educate people to make healthy respiratory choices for themselves, great. But that’s not the agenda.

1 Like

It’s really not so obvious. Indoor-vented gas (and kerosene) appliances have been around in USA since 1821, and instances where consumers have been sickened or killed by CO emanating from them are hardly common. If you can find even ONE instance of a properly-functioning gas range CO-poisoning its operator to death in cooking, I’d appreciate a link.

Yes, CO poisoning happens, all too frequently. But the vast, vast majority of cases involve outdoor heating appliances and cars being operated indoors with zero or near-zero fresh air exchange. Cracking a window (or switching on a hood) while actually cooking–now THAT should be obvious.

I really do not appreciate your personal attack on me. I have been consistent in my comments on this topic and, I think clear. One, there is no current plan by the federal government to ban gas stoves. Period. Two, some states and localities are considering bans on new gas hook ups for a variety of reasons. If that bothers you, don’t move there. Third, eventually we must stop burning fossil fuels or the Earth will become uninhabitable. Fourth, because of massive leaks during production and transport, natural gas is one of the worst sources of greenhouse gas. If you wish to deny some or all of these facts, that is your right. I have no interest in discussing this further with you.

Time to Lock this thread

4 Likes

No. Time to do something else, that won’t stifle discussion.

1 Like

Woah, that’s rich…

By the way - still waiting on you to comment on this whopper you put out where you claimed:

And in which response you decided to insult me by saying that I “should learn a bit about how republican representative democracy works”.

In my response, I explained that in the PL enacting the CPSC, Congress protected commissioners from presidents and that, despite your nonsense claims to the contrary, our elected leaders (and not even the president) cannot simply remove/replace members of the CPSC.

They do not serve at the president’s pleasure, once installed.

5 Likes
1 Like

Fake news. No one is coming for gas stoves, or your gas water heater, or your gas furnaces.

You heard it here.

Fake news.

1 Like

This is The People’s Republic of Oregon, not Texas.
New developments won’t have gas hookups so stoves, hot water heaters, and furnaces won’t be illegal, just useless white elephants.

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s hard I guess on social media for you to see that my tongue is firmly in cheek and being bited (bitened?) when I type such stuff.

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I am not recommending this article persay, but it is totally possible to cook with gas even without natural gas lines to a home. Natural gas lines are an economic convenience for those with natural gas stoves, for sure–but there are a lot of options out there.

I prefer induction almost all the time, but I know others who prefer electric or various gas options.

1 Like

It is fake news. If it is not fake news, then great. It is over-due. These are the only two options. Either you think this is real, so you must be a ring-wing BS paranoia nut. Or this is truly real, then we must give thanks to the politicians who have the courage to pull this off and saved us. If you disagree with either option, then you are doing personal attacks on me.

2 Likes

Well, you were pitch perfect then!
I’ve read too many real diatribes I guess.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

New developments will be built with electric appliances. There have been many all-electric communities in the U.S. for years. I lived in one in Maryland that was built in 1937. There will be no useless white elephants.

Good for them!

1 Like

I suspect the people who are for banning gas stoves are the same crowd who’ve had five COVID boosters.

2 Likes