Tighter regulations or a ban on gas stoves coming?

I’m having sauteed yellow fin tuna off the Santa Barbara coast . A light coating of wasabi mayonnaise. Then slightly dredged in panko . Sauteed rare with dill and green onion as dressing. Wasabi mayonnaise on the side . Rice and broccoli for sides . Cheers. All electric. Though it doesn’t even come close to my 50’s wedgewood gas stove.

3 Likes

In my county, there is… You have to check the “clean air” web-site to make sure you are allowed to burn wood in your fireplace (that day). If you start your wood burning fireplace on a “no burn day” it is a $250 fine.
So yes… in some places there is a ban on burning wood.

1 Like

Yes, when I trim my trees I save the wood and burn it (when I’m allowed.) I also built a heat exchanger for my fireplace out of scrap black iron pipe and an old leaf blower. It actually does a pretty good job at heating the front part of the house, although it does not get that cold (here). I also use an electric mattress pad on my bed. It uses very little electricity and keeps me toasty warm at night.

2 Likes

For what its worth, I’m really liking my induction hob/burner. Its not as good as gas, but I like the speed and control I have with it. It is much better than the radiant style electric elements on my stove.
I purchased a one burner induction hob (as an experiment) to see if I would like it, I wish I purchased a 2 burner hob.

4 Likes

I like the idea . I’m very slow to change.

Sometime it can be just memory. It is entirely possible with your increased cooking skill, your recent yellow fin tuna is even better.

1 Like

And I have that. :sweat_smile: In some ways, ceramic radiant may be the worse stoves I have had. Very slow in response, and do not transfer heat well. However, what I do like the ceramic radiant stove is the extra space. I can put them on the stove area when I am not using some of them.

1 Like

Don’t cut yourself short on it, you are the one using wasabi mayonnaise and then sauteed with dill and green onion. I bet it is a new style of cooking you picked up no more than 10 years ago?

1 Like

I’m hoping to slowly save up some money and replace my (radiant) stove with an induction stove – some day. I know it will take some time, but I’ll dream about it and use my little one burner induction hob until that day arrives.

(post deleted by author)

Your “point” that Trumka’s comment was a deliberate trial balloon is based on nothing but your apparent prejudices. And it adds nothing to the conversation. And, yes, it suggests paranoia about government.

Certain types of woodburning heaters are banned in NY because of the pollution they create.

Perhaps you should learn a bit about how republican representative democracy works. In fact, we can, through our representatives and elected leaders remove and replace the members of the CPSC. They are all political appointees. Two of the three commissioners are Trump appointees. The chair of the commission is currently a Biden appointee.

The state plans I’ve seen would ban all uses of gas (stove, furnace, water heaters) in new construction as of 2025. As of 2030, if I read it right, they will also ban refits of the same. Although I think they will find banning refits can be problematic in the sense that you might have to seriously rewire a home to have 220-240 available and redo the main panel to accept 50 (or 60?) amp circuit breakers. Might run the homeowner $5-7K. But they can cross that bridge, then. Maybe they’ll offer tax incentives to help the homeowners with additional costs.

As for the power grid, there’s an argument to be made that it’s better to have a power plant burning natural gas than a bunch of homes burning natural gas. The power plants have filters/scrubbers cleaning their emissions while homes don’t, so if we’re going to burn it anywhere, let’s have it done in power plants.

There you go again, Mr. Snottypants McAdHominem.

:roll_eyes:

Our “representatives” (assuming you mean that in the normal sense, those in the lower house of the congress) and other “elected leaders” have no power over CPSC members, who are appointed by the president with senatorial A&C.

We can of course vote out a given president after a 4 year term, hoping the next will appoint more likable commissioners, as the staggered terms of their predecessors expire.

But you’re dead wrong in your claim that “in fact” we can just “remove and replace” commissioners we don’t like. Not even the president can do so [1].

Congress shielded the CPSC commissioners from presidential wrath. The most a sitting president can do is demote the current chair, but she or he would still remain a commissioner for the full remaining term.

So when I wrote:

it was because I do already know quite a bit about how our “republican representative democracy works”. And I also know how the PL that created CPSC works, and I know that it doesn’t matter if we can vote in new “representatives and elected leaders” because they can’t change the commissioners.

You, on the other hand, return to your habit of spouting insults even when it’s crystal clear you don’t know what you’re talking about.

[1] With a finding of malfeasance, a president could remove a commissioner. But so far as I know, in the 30+ year history of the CPSC, that has never been alleged against any commissioner.

P.S. you got this wrong, too:

Feldman is the only Trump-appointed commissioner.

2 Likes

OK, now you’ve narrowed this to distinguishing direct-vent appliances from ranges. That narrowing effectively takes the “greenhouse gas” argument off the table, i.e., they ALL involve burning gas. All that leaves is the alleged “secondhand smoke” argument.

People often say, well, better to burn the gas at one location (the power plant) because it’s–again allegedly–more efficient. I respond that this ignores the electrical transmission losses–the utility still has to deliver, e.g., 1kW at every farflung point in its network, but it takes burning substantially more gas at the plant to generate the 1.XkW of electricity to get it there.

A simple Like is insuffient. Bravo.

2 Likes

I thought the original study was about asthma and breathing disorders affecting children (when one cooks with gas in the home).
I was also pointing out a major difference in cooking with gas and having a hood vent vs. a sealed combustion chamber with a direct vent (hot water heater, dryer and furnace). I’ve installed gas hot water heaters, gas dryers, gas furnaces, home heating oil furnaces and their respective vents.
If the hot water heater, dryer and furnace are direct vented; the exposure to burned gas is zero or near zero (provided the vent is properly maintained and not damaged/leaking).

1 Like

:rofl: With all due respect, can you please quote me which exact statement I have made that is “apparent prejudices” and also “paranoia”. You are the one who said Richard Trumka’s statement is an offhand comment. Like I said, he made no correction or retraction to his statement. Have you spoken to him, has he told you that it is an offhand comment? All evidences point to that it is not an offhand comment.
You do really like to call people names instead of directly addressing issues.

1 Like

Well, in all honest, I still want to bring up the topic of “using a hood vent” vs “not using a hood vent”. I just cooked yesterday and forgot to turn on the vent. While I use an electric stove, I am not sure if people know that electric stoves also give off NO2 just less.

1 Like