Things you cook only for yourself

Hey, its Sloppy Joes for me, too! And I love cold pasta!

Jamu juice. I enjoy it like a ginger shot, super cold.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to try jamu juice. Oysters are something I’d LIKE to cook only for myself since they’re expensive and I always want to eat them all.

My husband will eat almost anything. Cumin’s one of two things he doesn’t like to run into, though, so I have to sneak it in powdered and hidden among other spices. But there is a chickpea salad with cumin that won’t work for and that I can nibble happily on for a few days. And since he’s okay with chickpeas but really doesn’t see the point of them when I could be serving him something else, I don’t feel too guilty indulging myself when the mood hits. It’s not oysters.

3 Likes

Brussels sprouts, the only vegetable to which my husband says no. One time he enjoyed them well-roasted with lots of bacon, but by that point you could no longer discern they were Brussels sprouts. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Were it not for Covid, I’d write “have Openil; will travel”.

I just remembered another of mine. This falls into the camp of I love it so much I don’t want to share, as opposed to no one but me likes it. Holdover from my childhood - little cheese pancakes. I don’t even know what to call them. You start with Russian Farmers cheese. Must be Friendship! Add some egg, flour (not too much - has to be mostly the cheese), sugar, and a little salt, form into patties and fry in oil. Perfect as they are, but even better topped with sour cream. It is Russian Jewish heaven.

4 Likes

Syrniki. I’ve made them before. Now that I have access to a good Polish supermarket I’ll making them more often.

Exactly! Been eating them since childhood. So good.

I made a Russian-style Easter lunch last year. I want to use a more “Russian” cheese next time, the Polish market has several kinds of eastern European cheese so I shall see.

Russian barley soup with pickles

Haven’t met one who says “I love Russian food”! I think I would love it. They use many ingredients I like.

2 Likes

I enjoy Russian food and your garlic bread is stunning.

3 Likes

I practically turn into a vegetarian when I cook just for myself. Lots of tofu and noodles in peanut sauce. I’m also a fan of curry lentil soups and beets (not together!)

1 Like

Love noodles in peanut sauce! Don’t really eat it (occasionally make it with almond butter) because my older son has a peanut allergy. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but we joke that when he finally goes off to college, we will be eating many more nuts, cooked tomatoes, and seafood! Oh and winter squash. Summer squash. He is quick the picky eater.

3 Likes

Oh man, lots of that reminds me of this African inspired soup/stew I made a few times. A peanut, tomato sort of chunky broth with shrimp. YUM. No idea how authentic it is but tasty!

3 Likes

:slight_smile: All the bad things in one bowl! Actually I like all of those. Maybe not together.

3 Likes

Returning to my post to share mixing jamu juice with either pineapple juice, ginger beer or sparkling water is also very tasty. Pineapple/mango is my new favorite jamu blend.

2 Likes

Ok, just ran smack into an ugly truth. Too-little-guacamole. One lone avocado rapidly aging, the remainder of a bag of chips, husband who’s going kayak fishing with a friend – tomorrow. I’m ashamed, but it’s not like I’m the one who’ll be out having fun.

2 Likes

Oeufs en meurette, poached eggs in “beef stew without the beef” sauce. Husband won’t eat it. I make a batch of sauce and freeze it in single portions FOR ME!

I ordered this in Burgundy and asked dh to try the “real thing”. He took a bite, returned the spoon and said, “I still don’t like it. It tastes just like yours.” YES!

10 Likes

With a proper Altbier, no less!

5 Likes

I had never heard of these before yesterday, when a friend of mine posted about them on Facebook. Now here they are on HO. Spooky!

1 Like

Liver is a pretty common answer and it’s true in my household as well. DH doesn’t like any type of meat or liver paste, so chicken liver paté, Braunschweiger, etc. are all mine. We don’t mind eating different meals from time to time, though, so if I am in a paté mood he just finds something else.

2 Likes