Things you cook only for yourself

Pumpkin porridge with rice and millet, cold soup, cabbage soup is what I like and cook only for myself

3 Likes

Welcome, Helen!! Hope you enjoy it here at HO!

2 Likes

Welcome, Helen.
I also like all those dishes you mention. People tend to hate offal and beetroots. More for me then.

1 Like

Easy one for me: Beef liver and onions.

Not one other person in my immediate family will go near it but my Mom made it when I was a kid and I love it. Now I only get it when my wife goes out of town or it happens to show up on a restaurant menu.

The other thing I make when she’s gone is beef ribs. She finds then too fatty. But… she’ll eat beef short ribs so I really am not sure on that one.

2 Likes

Thanks! I like it!

Agree! I also like to try something unusual and light, smth that not everyone will agree to taste :blush:

My grandparents used to give me both beef and chicken liver, although I think the chicken was almost always turned into a pate spread, whereas the beef was served as it comes. I liked it. I would probably eat it again if someone set it in front of me, because I don’t entirely know how to cook it, and I’m not crazy about having to clean it. However, I am confident no one else in my current family would have any!

1 Like

Spaghetti Caruso - Sautéed chicken livers, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, red wine and butter with Parmigiano Reggiano grated on top.

3 Likes

Jamaican goat curry, wife cant stand the smell of mutton or goat cooking.

Kippers - same reason

Chips, cheese and gravy (poutine) - i dont want to have to share it. Dont tell my wife.

7 Likes

Garlic bread is what I like too!

1 Like

Funny to see liver dishes mentioned here because that’s exactly what I was going to say. Mom won’t eat it and my BF would gag if I even cooked it in his presence. Not that I ever make it often. Its a rarity. But if I am eating alone and can’t think of anything, liver and onions it is.

I also have a friend who is a bit older that used to run a restaurant and he makes an amazing L & O cooked in bacon fat. We get together for dinner about once a month and if I am flying solo when I go over his house he makes it since the other guest coming with me would rather die! LOL

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by “cleaning” beef liver. The only pep I know of is rinsing and soaking in milk, then dusting with flour to pan fry. Have I been missing something?

Curious if it was part of your diet growing up? Sometimes there are foods alot of adults can’t really get into, as adults, but if they ate something as kids it is less of a big deal.

1 Like

Sometimes on cooking shows I’ve seen that there is connective tissue and whatnot they have to remove first before consuming. I wonder now if I’m thinking of beef liver or some other animal liver. Or some other organ.

Nope. Never had it as a child. My mom would never cook it. Her mother ate it frequently, of course.

I’ve always been into trying new things, especially offal, which is what led me to liver and onions.

1 Like

The beef liver I’ve bought here in Southern California has always been clean of anything but an occasional small area that I’d think is some kind of duct. It can be cooked and removed when eating, just like a piece of fat or gristle in any meat. My difficulty has been in finding beef liver that isn’t thinly sliced (less than 1/2”). I prefer it thicker than that.

Duck or Goose liver (Foie Gras) often has veins that should be removed.

For me, it’s vice versa. I loathed liver as a kid, but eat it no problem now.

1 Like

Fried egg sandwiches, topped with brie or cheddar and some Frank’s Red Hot.

1 Like