The amazing Cauliflower......................

We enjoyed something like this at Citronelle in Georgetown well before it closed:

2 Likes

Very interesting treat.

I make Buffalo roasted cauliflower frequently. I toss raw florets, cut large-ish (they shrink), in melted butter (be generous - 3-4 tablespoons for a head) and roast at 450 until getting brown on the edges, maybe 5 mins from being burnt. Then I toss the florets with a mixture of a little more melted butter, Frank’s Red Hot, a splash of Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of garlic powder (this is my standard wing sauce at 2 parts Red Hot to one part butter. For this application I go closer to 3:1 since there is already butter on the cauliflower). Use enough to coat thoroughly but not enough to make the cauliflower wet. Put back in the oven for a few minutes, until the sauce caramelizes. Serve. This is DH’s favorite cauliflower recipe and he will eat an entire head himself if I don’t get some first!

4 Likes

Made pan roasted cauliflower and red onions with garam masala, cilantro and scallions tonight - was delicious!

5 Likes

Thanks!! This is quick and easy.

1 Like

FWIW, Whole Foods sells very good 24oz plastic containers of brown butter cauliflower bisque in its prepared foods section. It uses vegetable broth, cream, and the usual suspect alliums, so should be easy to reverse engineer. (I bought it because I needed to cross the $35 mark to get free home delivery via Amazon.)

1 Like

Looking for some cauliflower inspiration.

5 Likes

The satsivi recipe is confusing, telling you to put the pureed sauce and the already-cooked cauliflower into a PLATE, then continue to cook it (oven? how hot?). Makes little sense to me.

1 Like

I had this a few weeks ago at this place called Miznon in New York.

It was called THE ORIGINAL WHOLE ROASTED BABY CAULIFLOWER. I’d love to recreate it at home.

They also had Lavan with Roasted cauliflower with tahini, tomato salsa, scallion

Last year I tried to recreate a dish I had at Brix in Napa. Fire roasted cauliflower with date, pine nut, chimichurri crumble, lemon brown butter vinaigrette, but with dried cherries from earlier this summer, and cashews because the freezer dive pine nuts tasted off.

3 Likes

At a dinner party this weekend, the hostess served Patricia Wells’ (from Vegetable Harvest) cauliflower puree. Simply cauliflower, milk, cream, s and b, TINY amount of butter, chives. Although the menu included a fabulous paté en croute, grilled quail, perfect green beans, the best Epoisses I’ve ever had, what husband crooned about all the drive home was the cauliflower!

3 Likes

Miznon is one of the places started by the Israeli “star” chef, Eyal Shani. Shani made this cauliflower famous, but the recipe was created by the mother of a business partner of his.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients

1 whole medium-size, fresh, white cauliflower, florets tightly packed
  and covered in bright green leaves
3 tbsp. olive oil
mineral water
sea salt

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Place the cauliflower in a metal pot and fill until 3/4 full with mineral water. Add about 10 grams of salt per liter of water. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, lower to a moderate boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the cauliflower. Drain.

Brush the cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place in a baking dish, place the dish in the center of the oven, and bake until the top turns golden brown.

Serve to the table in the baking dish. The outside of the cauliflower should be crisp and the inside as soft as butter. Separate the florets with a spoon and serve.

If you are interested in the whole article, it’s here:
https://www.haaretz.com/food/EXT.premium.EXT-RECIPE-how-an-israeli-chef-s-cauliflower-recipe-took-over-the-world-1.9925915

4 Likes

Thank you! I was wondering if/ how they cooked it before roasting!

1 Like

I actually find the miznon whole cauliflower very under-seasoned…

But I do make a version at home ( so boo to the whole “original” :joy: ) - some pics here and here.

Method here. Blanche or microwave to start, then season and roast.

But it’s a lot faster - and much better seasoned - if you cut the cauliflower into quarters (for a small one) or large florets (for the giant ones). Otherwise the inside is terribly under-seasoned - even if you blanch in salted water first.

ETA: the visual impact of a whole cauliflower is why people leave it whole, IMO. So for a party or restaurant, I get it. But for home consumption, it both takes longer and tastes less amazing, because you’re vastly reducing caramelized surfaces .

5 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

1 Like

Similarly, romanesco is gorgeous whole, but very sad once it is cut apart, regardless of how it is prepared. I just eat it raw…

3 Likes

At what temp are you roasting the cauliflower? I steamed about 5 minutes and am roasting at 440 F.

1 Like

I cut cauliflower into florets, mix with olive oil and lots of Madras curry powder and roast it until it’s tender and toasted. I like it in place of a starch with grilled beef.

3 Likes

I don’t steam unless I’m keeping the head intact. Roast anywhere from 375 to 450 (depending on whose oven).

2 Likes

This is the blinged up TO variant of his dish

2 Likes

I enjoyed a cauliflower steak au poivre at The Loyal in NYC. Couldn’t find a recipe for their version, which was made with cream. https://eating.nyc/cauliflower-dishes-were-really-digging/

Found this recipe online, from a restaurant in Chicago.

1 Like