What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

As a nod to @gcaggiano, and what we had on hand, eggplant parmigiana, with my home canned heirloom tomato sauce; sourdough garlic bread. Very good!

11 Likes

Y.U.M.

This is on my list for this week, now that eggs and potatoes are available. I could eat tortilla every day… and I just might!

3 Likes

My yocal local food. Same as it’s always been . Cheers .

17 Likes

Game on .

1 Like

You know I never have a recipe Maria . Its always with love for the food. Hint no tomato paste .

2 Likes

Today was a simplification because everyone is just fed up of thinking about what to eat next. Ok, no, the other cook and I are, lol.

Lunch was a simple IP lentil soup with a side of leftover veg from last night plus some more veg pan-saute-steamed to make up enough for all.

Dinner was blackened (unintentionally :joy:) sea bass on the grill, a whole roasted cauliflower (my contribution, to mix up the daily rotation of roasted veg), and artichokes for the vegetarian. Kids had quick quesadillas plus lots of veg.

Everyone but me loved the cauliflower, but then I do this dish a lot and it was new to them.

Everyone satisfied and another day done. Another walk for me (and all the littles) - but after dinner tonight so the dusk version.

16 Likes

Hmm. Depends on how you like your pasta sauce, I think.

Rao’s is the bottled version of my best home pasta sauce (which is Hazan-ish and very simple).

But if your version of sauce is just a different profile, I could see that Rao’s mightn’t fit the bill.

As an aside, Rao’s works so well for me that I will substitute it for a quick base for indian cooking too, when I can’t be bothered to saute and simmer the onion-garlic-tomato to the level I like.

6 Likes

Went with Ina Garden’s instagram suggestion, lemon broccoli pasta. No pine nuts or peas so I added toasted walnuts and left out the peas.

15 Likes

Mines so close. We always finish first or second.

1 Like

It does,work very well . I t’s so similar to my sauce . Yes I will use it again. Like it .

1 Like

Smoked haddock, cod, heavy cream, lumpfish roe (from Iceland) and potato

Spaghetti with smoked duck breast and cherry tomato sauce

Roasted pork belly with whole grain Dijon mustard and dark beer, green salad with onion salt, l’Acetaia Pagani balsamique 1974 and lemon infused olive oil.

12 Likes

Nice - what’s the recipe/technique for the whole roast cauliflower?

That pork belly looks delicious

2 Likes

Managed to bag a Savoy cabbage this week. Was thinking stuffed cabbage but it seemed a bit of a faff for a Friday. So kept it quite simple. Cabbage and diced broccoli stalk; blanched and then fried with pancetta, potato rosti ( not homemade) and a fried egg.

12 Likes

That looks and sounds excellent!

1 Like

Yum!

1 Like

Love this phraseology.

Finishing off the lentil soup. Even richer tasting now.

Stay healthy all.

16 Likes

Purists, avert your eyes.

OK. :grin:

Last night I made fusion bowls with cilantro-lemongrass grilled minute steaks sliced and served over leftover sushi rice and fillings (cucumber, cilantro, and scallion), lettuce, pickled radishes and jalapeños, blanched asparagus, chopped beets, sriracha mayo, and topped with nuoc cham and gochujang-sweet soy sauce. Pumpkin pie for dessert. #pandemicmeal

19 Likes

Looks delicious. Yum pie.

2 Likes