The amazing Cauliflower......................

Have a glass of wine while you doing and make it such a vintners day.

13 Likes

So many favorites already posted, but I’ll add an old CH recipe I remember - essentially a faux cauliflower ragu, with anchovies dissolved into it after steaming/boiling, over a good pasta.

1 Like

Mrs. P makes roasted cauliflower steak topped with sauteed chopped red onions during the week. She marinates it in balsamic vinegar for extra flavor.
I also have riced cauliflower mixed with quinoa, various chopped vegetables, and a ton of pepper and garlic salt during the week for lunch.
Sometimes she mixes the cauliflowered rice with shrimp.
This way I don’t feel so guilty when dining out during the weekend :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi NotJr,
I had been reading of riced cauliflower and its versatility and your enthusiasm led me to try it. Which I did. Well, maybe I didn’t do it right. It was good, but it didn’t seem to offer anything that my normal baked cauliflower doesn’t give me. It seemed to me that all the extra work was for naught. Any comments?

1 Like

I’ve had cauliflower prepared many ways, but find it loses its own nutty flavor, not to mention crunch, when cooked. I prefer it raw, with a dip, my first choice being Thai peanut sauce. But it’s good with any salad dressing. Whatever accompanies it, I use the dip/dressing very sparingly, to complement rather than cover the florets’ own flavor.

2 Likes

First thing that strikes is The popularity of cauliflower has some markets raising prices and others counting on volume offering discount prices.

Cauliflower steaks roasted in a tahini glaze
Slathered in mayo and panko baked whole until serving
braised in curry
Riced for pilaf
Stir fry veg

7 Likes

And also the variety in size/weight!

2 Likes

Now I’m curious about your tahini glaze. Cauliflower + tahini sounds like such an agreeable combo.

@tomatotomato First I stir the tahini really well then I slather a decent coating On the cali steaks after they have roasted in the oven. Topped with ground sumac.

3 Likes

@rooster, thank you! Tahini and sumac are household staples for us, which makes this a must-try.

2 Likes

From a large head of cauliflower, I aim for six steak thickness. If I cut steaks to thin they get mushy before really roasting. 400 oven. Check at the 20 min mark. It’s also key to clean the stalk well but leave in tact so the slices hold together.

4 Likes

My favourite Lebanese restaurant serves florets of roasted cauli, drizzled with yoghurt.

4 Likes

Dinner last night = penne with cauliflower, anchovy, Meyer lemon and garlicky crumbs.

5 Likes

Boot soles would be delicious prepared this way…
But, seriously, will do this. Thanks.

1 Like

Anyone have a cauliflower bite buffalo style thats super delicious?

I roast cauliflower florets with olive oil and Madras curry powder. They go really well as a side to grilled steaks.

3 Likes

I enjoy that combo as well.

1 Like

Thanks, have never seen this method of roasting cauli rice & will try it soon!

I made these for a big potluck and everyone went wild over them. They do not taste vegan and gluten free (but some of the attendees were very grateful).

3 Likes

Thanks. I have all the ingredients on hand.