The amazing Cauliflower......................

I haven’t made it, was just looking for Georgian-inspired cauliflower.
I don’t follow recipes to a T, so I had focused only on the ingredients .

Thanks for pointing out that the method is not clear.

The recipe is translated from French. It’s a recipe posted on the website of a spice blend company based in Montreal. I’ve bought their spices and curry blends.

The recipe involves pouring the walnut sauce, which contains some liquid the cauliflower was cooked in, over the cooked cauliflower, then the whole dish is cooked (I’d bake it) for 30 minutes.

Similar to how cooked cauliflower might be topped with a cheese -enhanced white sauce , then cooked /baked for 30 minutes.

Chicken satsivi is chicken in a walnut sauce which would also be made with a similar method, I would think.

Here is an another cauliflower satsivi recipe

2 Likes

I am looking forward to making this recipe tonight for dinner. Has anyone else tried it? Any tips or does it work just to stick to the recipe as written? I am planning to sub the vegan milk and butter for non-vegan regular dairy.

I think I’m seeing this on Somebody Feed Phil, but I can no longer access the article.

Sorry if any of these points came up in previous posts- I read through the thread but didn’t click on every link. Starting from the most to least traditional preparations:

We really like making Ford’s Filling Station (Los Angeles) cauliflower in our house. You don’t really have to roast it whole unless you want the dramatic effect- we like it just fine with regular roasted cauliflower and that very decent, relatively simple sauce to go with.

As far as riced cauliflower goes, I’m not a super fan but when I was still trying it out breaking down the cauliflower could be prohibitively difficult and this method was by far and away the easiest I found. I doubt that’s the original source and I wish I knew who is because they deserve a medal.

Thirdly, I find that simply cooking and mashing or otherwise homogenizing cauliflower is good but not particularly reminiscent of mashed potatoes. I’ve heard of a couple techniques to get around this including using thickeners and stabilizers, etc. but the best results we had were to remove a minimum of 45% of the water by weight. The resulting texture really, really mimics mashed potatoes very well. That said, there are significant drawbacks (the effort of removing the water, a very short storage life, lower quality upon freezing and thawing, etc.). It’s great stuff for someone that houses fibrous vegetables by the handful but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort unless maybe you have a spare cider press.

Finally, this is purely an Los Angeles local tip but if you’re eating cauliflower as a replacement for rice or mashed potatoes (especially if you remove about half if it by weight) you’ll probably go through a lot of cauliflower and it’s actually pretty expensive. The most convenient location and price we found for cauliflower (for us) was at the LAX-C in Chinatown. It’s an interesting and useful place in any case and a life saver when it comes to certain bulk and specialty ingredients.

3 Likes

Nice list of recipes & links https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.epicurious.com/ingredients/our-favorite-cauliflower-recipes-gallery/amp

Thank you! I’ve looked at many but have to bookmark this one. I’ve made something like this one, maybe this one!

1 Like

Yes, thanks a tasty way to do cauliflower, as well as spinach, chard, collards and/ or broccoli!! Can also add a little pasta!!!

Hi @naf ,

This is what I get for speed reading: I was just catching up on this Cauliflower thread, and sped-read your post & picture and thought:

“That’s amazing! @naf carved a Cauliflower to look just like Squid!” :open_mouth: And then I read more carefully. :sweat_smile: It still sounds delicious, will have to try it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Roasted, drizzled with the leftover caper brine. I’m out of capers.

12 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

My fav Cauliflower dish was had many years ago at a veg restaurant in Venice, CA (think it was called “Maya”).

It was a whole (small) Cauliflower, with some of the middle hollowed out and stuffed with a sage heavy stuffing/dressing, wrapped in filo dough and then baked.

While I have yet to nail it quite as good as they did, I have come pretty close by blanching the Cauliflower in a large sauce pan, drying it on paper towels, removing some of the middle, stuffing it with cooked/crisped dressing, and wrapping with filo, baking in my oven with the convection fan on at 425-450° for about 10-20 minutes.

1 Like

I want to try this one.

1 Like

Made the baked Ziti recipe last year and it is really good.
I really liked the roasted cauliflower and did not miss the pasta. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Thanks to whoever bumped this thread up because I was wondering each time I saw a notification about a cauliflower thread I think: “ why the f’ am I following a thread about cauliflower?

Answer: Because I’m the idiot who started it!!

Anywho I will add that Buffalo cauliflower has become another favorite of mine as well as what I call the Indian version. Name of which I have no idea. It’s a chopped, fried cauliflower served in a hot tomato based, not Buffalo sauce. Both give cauliflower a nice bite that I enjoy.

5 Likes

You are too much ! I laughed so hard that my son came in wondering what the heck was going on.

What amuses you annoys the Crapola out of me! Happy to share! Best wishes!

@NotJrvedivici has that effect on people. He’s a keeper!

1 Like

So, I shared with my husband your post laughing along equally as funny as the first time around.
DH didn’t see the humour in it and indicated that sentiment exactly.
I appreciated your honesty, please never change.

Eta: @NotJrvedivici, you are quite the story teller, time to take a bow.

I agree completely and wholeheartedly.

1 Like