Thanksgiving 2021

I think that, if you had enough other flavors in the dish, it could be used as an alternative to chicken gravy.
Or, if you really don’t want to save it, it could meet with, as we say, an unfortunate accident… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I would add a lot of sweet Hungarian paprika, some marjoram, bay leaves, a little tomato paste, some sauteed minced bell pepper, and sour cream and serve it over egg noodles, with or without leftover turkey. Kinda paprikas-esque.

I’d also just make a bunch more mashed potatoes - and maybe white rice - to serve the gravy over.

4 Likes

There is no such thing as too much or excess gravy.

3 Likes

To expand on the meatball/meatloaf idea, you could add some of the gravy to your meat mixture when making meatloaf - it would function much like panade. I don’t love turkey gravy but I’m guessing the other flavors in most meatloaf recipes would cover it up.

3 Likes

Tell me again when you’ve made about 8 cups of it in one go.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I made (usually make). Also made a double recipe of dressing by son’s request. Split both dressing and gravy with him. Everyone happy when there’s enough gravy for all.

1 Like

Yes, but when @Sasha made her turkey, she said " I have a 20lb turkey for 5 people, 2 of whom don’t really like turkey but will suffer through a bit of it."

So if only 3 people are liking turkey, only 3 people would really want leftovers, yes? (at least one of them being Sasha herself). Or maybe they chose not to take any leftovers - leaving it all at Sasha’s house. That’s a LOT of leftover gravy! LOL

I have to say - in thinking about this again, I’d probably keep some of it but toss the rest. Maybe keep half for reuse. Gravy isn’t something that you bought - so tossing it feels less wasteful, to me. But that’s just me.

I get it. We (4) didn’t have turkey, but rather ham. But dressing and gravy were expected. I made gravy with beef broth and veal fond. We’re down to about a cup and rationing it out. Dressing is a twice a year and very anticipated thing in our house. Nuked or pan-fried for instant lunch , both topped with reheated gravy.

4 Likes

If there was a laugh emoji, I would be laughing. @LindaWhit you hit the nail on the head. My older son ate turkey 2x and brought a little to-go of turkey and stuffing to school that will likely sit in his fridge until it spoils. My younger son also ate turkey about 2x - once for the holiday and 1 turkey sandwich, and is now not touching it. My FIL stayed until Sat morning and went home. He took a bit with him. But not the gravy. My H and I are powering through. I actually had a delectable turkey sandwich yesterday when I decided to not be lazy and make a turkey salad out of it with mayo and shallots.

4 Likes

We usually eat exactly 1 leftover meal as is - usually an open turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving night, after everyone else has gone home, everything is cleared up, and my aunt and I are alone and collapsed in front of the TV :joy:.

Occasionally I’ll make a takeout container (with all but the bread) for the train ride home - but only if I’m going the next day.

Aside from that, ALL turkey left is converted to other forms - favorites are turkey soup and turkey curry, which are delicious the rest of the weekend.

Re gravy - I agree with @retrospek - freeze in small portions, I’m sure it’s a flavor bomb. You can use a little at a time in all kinds of things - all the ideas upthread, plus things like pot roast, stew, chilli, meatloaf, and so on that would benefit from a strong savory base.

3 Likes

Pretty much every year I save the carcass to make a turkey broth and then turn that into a turkey and rice soup with carrots, celery and onions. It’s quite good. This year I think I just got overwhelmed with the amounts of it all. I’m going out with a bang you could say, since I promise myself not to ever do a massive (or even whole) turkey again!

1 Like

I made four meals out of one turkey tenderloin. The original dinner, (I only made one serving of mashed potatoes and 2 cups of gravy), an open face sandwich with the dressing, turkey and gravy, turkey and dressing hash with an over easy egg for breakfast and a turkey salad sandwich for lunch.

3 Likes

One year I bought turkey carcasses from WF when I got home (because my aunt called and told me they were 49c and I should go get some). Thought I’d make some nice soup, and have a bit of meat for other things.

Well, those “carcasses” were LOADED with meat. So I ended up with a giant mixing bowl of turkey meat after all was said and done. Into the freezer in small portions, and I was eating turkey instead of chicken in all kinds of stuff (Thai curry, Indian curry, Chinese stir-fry, quesadillas, “chicken” salad, you name it) for what felt like a year :rofl:

By the last 2 bags (probably a pound of meat) I was completely fed up, but then a friend had a potluck and I made kababs out of them (big hit).

PHEW. Never again.

6 Likes

Funny! We just don’t like turkey that much. I can’t see doing that. The whole “sale” thing got the better of me one time. The week after Tday, my local coop where I buy my heritage birds was doing a 50% off sale of the ones they hadn’t sold. So I got a 2nd turkey to roast sometime in the winter or spring, I can’t remember. Husband was not thrilled with me. But who can resist a good sale right?

1 Like

Also, use it in pot pie.

1 Like

Whereas I toss the turkey carcass (breast bones, in this year’s case). For some reason, turkey stock doesn’t cut it for me. I LOVE homemade chicken stock I make. But turkey stock has a off-taste/scent to me that taints anything I use it in.

2 Likes

Just realized I forgot to post my belated Thanksgiving Day dinner here. I put it on the WFD thread, so link is here:

2 Likes

I think it’s that gamey thing. Chicken’s wilder cousin. I totally get it, which is why turkey isn’t typically my thing. But the soup is tasty.

3 Likes

What a story!!

1 Like

Yeah - I’m not digging it myself. Husband froze what we cooked overnight. I’m on a pain med and couldn’t supervise so who knows what we’re going to do with it.

1 Like