SOUP - Fall 2021 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

I made a very simple leek and potato soup yesterday: sweated sliced leeks in a bit of butter with the lid on the pan, then added sliced, peeled Yukon gold potatoes and low sodium chicken broth, simmered till potatoes were done, added a couple of slurps of cream and ground fermented white pepper on top. Excellent tastiness to effort ratio! Lunch yesterday and today. Not very photogenic!

11 Likes

Nomination thread for next quarter is up! Winter 2022 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine and Dish of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

2 Likes

Did you puree your potato/leek soup? It looks wonderful!

1 Like

No, I left it chunky. Less to clean. :laughing:

ETA: Sorry, this was a response to @retrospek.

5 Likes

I make this quite often, I add the odd cheese rinds that or the remaining of cured ham skin for silky texture. Throw away the remaining after the cooking. Hand mix the soup as mister prefers it this way.

3 Likes

Last night, a stodgy and/but cossetting winter soup: Calabrian sausage, lentil, barley and ziti soup.

12 Likes

Christmas lunch of chowder made from leeks, small local potatoes, leftover smoked steelhead trout and some Alaskan kelp sprinkle I got for Christmas. Delicious!

11 Likes

So my kinda soup! :hearts:

1 Like

Mushroom Orzo Soup

Sautéed Mushroom Medley, Dried Porcinis, Shallots, Garlic, Chicken Stock, Orzo, Cream, S&P, topped w/Lemon Zest, Robusto Cheese, Croutons, drizzle of Buttery Olive Oil.

Harvest Soup aka I Cleaned Out The Vegetable Bin

Sautéed & puréed Carrots, Leeks, Celery, Turnips, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Watercress, Apples, Chicken Stock, S&P, swirl of Cream, topped w/Corn & chopped Carrot Leaves

Toasty Buttery Bread

Leftover Harvest Soup

Sweet Curry Powder, Garam Masala, Tumeric, Drizzle of Vegenaise Cream Mixture, Pumpkin Oil & Cracked Black Pepper

Toasty Pita w/Ghee

Bean Soup

Borlotto di Veneto Beans (Italian Cranberry Beans), Chicken Stock, Aromatics, Bacon, Olive Oil, S&P, Hot Sauce

…Even creamier the next day and on top of rice! :hearts:

9 Likes

New England Clam Chowder

It’s cold & rainy in Southern California! And it’s about time!

Mother Nature & @GretchenS remind me that it’s the perfect weather for a hot, creamy, bowl of chowder. :hearts:

11 Likes

Curried Lentil & Apricot Soup

It’s going in the soup rotation @Phoenikia! :hearts:

Masoor Dal (split red lentils)

Yep there’s definitely a difference between lentils @Saregama

Sautéed Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Tomato & Mild Sweet Curry, then added Apricots

Added Lentils & Water and cooked for 30 minutes until they were creamy & the apricots soft, then puréed and added coconut milk

I substituted creme fraiche for the yogurt and drizzled a little lemon-garlic ghee

I wasn’t sure I’d like apricots in lentils, but after they soften & everything is puréed it all comes together deliciously. Generous salt also balances the tart sweetness. So good! :hearts:

We didn’t have the right bread for this dish, but enjoyed it w/toasty Pita drizzled w/Lemon-Garlic Ghee

9 Likes

My quickest simplified weeknight version of this is : canned lentils, curry powder, coconut milk and chopped dried apricots. I can put that on the table in 5 minutes.

An even simpler derivation from the original recipe is lentils, curry powder and chopped dried apricots, which I sometimes make a a side dish, rather than as a soup. I make legumes of some sort almost every night .

4 Likes

It’s a great recipe and relatively simple. I’ll definitely do the jiffy versions too. And I love legumes too. Thanks!

Thanks for these suggestions. I would add the ginger as I think it was so important to the overall balance - and I just LOVE ginger.

1 Like

Thanks for posting about your take on curried lentil and apricot soup. Because @Phoenikia and you both like the recipe that sure got my attention.

I had most of the ingredients except for the apricots, which I picked up at the grocery store this morning. Planning to give this soup a try soon.

3 Likes

Oh nice. Don’t be shy with the salt. Report back! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A few of my favorite soups:

Ottolenghi’s Curried Lentil Soup (aka quick dal with coconut milk):

Chrissy Teigen’s Carrot Coconut Soup:

Vietnamese Coconut Curry Chicken Soup - Toma Kha Gai:

or

Still visiting my parents - they have a light soup every evening before dinner, so there have been a lot of soups of late. Haven’t taken many pics, though. Usually it’s a fresh vegetable or a mix of a few, plus aromatics, pureed, seasoned, and then simmered to meld.

Yesterday I made a lightly spiced butternut squash soup and finished it with a bit of milk.

A few days ago I used bottle gourd (dudhi) as the main vegetable.

We had fresh leeks a few weeks ago so they featured prominently in several soups.

There’s a bunch of spinach going a-begging so there will likely be spinach soup (perhaps with a bit of moong dal) in the next day or two.

9 Likes

I made a Tom Kha Turkey soup with Thanksgiving Turkey leftovers (since Gai / Kai means chicken, I call it Tom Kha Turkey), and I will definitely do that again.

3 Likes

I am so glad that you pointed me to that soup. It’s been a keeper!

1 Like

Awesome. I have a work colleague who is “stuck” at home in Nepal (she’s normally Boston-based) and she’s getting $#!t done. She’s only 10 hours ahead, so meetings are tolerable. Plus, she’s eating well and has built-in babysitters for her little one.

2 Likes