SOUP - Fall 2021 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

Yeah, it’s a little less idyllic here. Covid is back, my parents are elderly, the whole building has to move in the next few weeks, even without COVID it’s peak winter flu and allergy season. We’re all exhausted.

4 Likes

Peruvian Chicken Soup

Homemade Chicken Stock, Drippings, Chicken Stock Concentrate, Chicken Shack’s Aji Amarillo Sauce, Onion, Carrot, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic, Yukons, Peas, Garlic Rice, Cilantro, Lime, Leftover Roasted Chicken.

For some sopping…

12 Likes

So sorry you’re going through all that @Saregama. It seemed like you were just getting back your own groove after being at your siblings for months. I would say “have some soup” but you’re probably not ready for jokes. Hang in there!

1 Like

What a great idea. I need to see if I still have a jar of aji amarillo paste. This looks like an excellent use for it.

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie
It is what it is… we’ll get through it together. We’re just in the thick of it right now, so running on adrenaline.

1 Like

We had a light spinach and celery soup evening before last.

I had separated the tougher spinach stems from the leaves before blanching to store, I added shallot, some tomato, and the last of the celery leaves (I made most into a salad but had saved the yellow ones and skinny stems for soup.

In a change for me, I strained the soup before serving - the spinach stems were too fibrous to pass muster.

Soup was quite lovely - and my dad especially liked it because he prefera brothy soups, which the straining achieved :wink:

Last night, my sis made dinner and she must have been so exhausted that she forgot to make soup first. I heated some water in mugs for dad and me - he cracked a smile when he took a sip, but we both enjoyed the warm liquid :joy:

Reminded me of the kids storybook “Stone Soup” that my parents bought my nephew when he was little, and we read to him on repeat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

That looks amazing. I love Peruvian food. Haven’t made anything Peruvian for ages.

1 Like

Thanks @tomatotomato.

For reference the jar of aji amarillo paste is just the base. I’ve been trying to recreate the yummy yellow sauce from a Peruvian restaurant called Chicken Shack. So far I got: aji paste, mayo, a skosh of milk, minced garlic, pinch of cumin, lime or vinegar, s&p. I use it as a dipping sauce for roasted chicken then the leftovers for soup the next day. So good!

Here’s the base I use…

6 Likes

You reminded me of Chupe de Camarones and Chupe de Mariscos.

4 Likes

That looks good. I’m doing it. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s also good in ceviches.

1 Like

Both of my local fishmongers sell whitefish chowder trim for only $3.99/lb, $6.99 for salmon. I made soup from it, with bacon, homemade salmon stock, shallots, garlic, spinach and clams. Actually, I added the clam juice from the can but forgot to add the clams. I stirred them in this morning. The color is from smoked paprika, which didn’t seem to add much flavor. ETA: I also tossed in some leftover jasmine rice.

11 Likes

This talk of fishy soups reminded me of a fish stew we ate many years ago in the port city of Guayaquil, Ecuador. Thanks to the Internet now I know it was encebollado.

Now I aspire to make some when I have the ingredients.

5 Likes

The gazpacho with ginger looks good https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/12/yotam-ottolenghi-tomato-soup-recipes-cream-of-pasta-gazpacho-roast-aubergine-aioli

1 Like

@Phoenikia, I finally made this curried lentil and apricot soup you recommended. Really delicious—thank you!

Never would have imagined that red lentils and dried apricots would play so well together. I chucked in a handful of cherry tomatoes that were a little past their prime, which livened up the bowl even more.

4 Likes

So happy you liked it!

1 Like

Split pea soup with ham, poached egg, and polenta chip
from the Bruncheonette Diner in Joplin, Mo.
Not a combination I would have ever imagined but it sounds tasty :yum:

3 Likes