SOUP - Fall 2021 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

Pier 1 wasn’t in Acton when we lived there - neither was Trader Joes. We moved to Harvard in 1986. Our trip down memory lane last month for our wedding anniversary took us back to the old colonial house we lived in on Great Road near the Concord rotary from 1979 to 1986. I was shocked and also sad to see what had happened. I’ll try to post a photo…

Great Road 2

2 Likes

I’m making a vegetarian Shchi tonight- Russian / Ukrainian cabbage soup.

2 Likes

This year’s Thanksgiving turkey made a rich stock that I’ll be using for awhile.

Here’s ginger turmeric turkey and carrot soup, with kale, onion, and coconut milk. Not enough kick for me at first. Adding yellow curry powder and a couple of birdseye chiles fixed that.

Sliced scallion and a squeeze of lime were the garnishes. Fresh cilantro would have been excellent if only we had some.

8 Likes

Love when you talk garnishes. :grin:

1 Like

Chicken Ramen

Chicken Stock, Water, Chicken Crystals, Whiskey Barrel-aged Shoyu, Sun Noodles, Topped w/Sliced Chicken, Seasoned Egg, Corn, Wood Ear Shrooms, Chili Onion Crunch, TJs Crispy Onions, Scallions, Togarashi, Black Sesame, Nori

I was pretty proud of my first seasoned eggs. :smiley:

3 Likes

I want your soup!

And this too! :yum:

My best chicken ramen I ate used Bresse chicken in the broth. True, the broth was fat but it was rich and very delicious. It was to celebrate an opening of a new ramen restaurant in Paris, the original founder of the chain Ippudo flew from Japan to cook, it was an one shot event, but that soup was memorable.

2 Likes

Anything “Russian/Ukranian” will soon just be “Russian”, sadly.

Stunning. More like a buffet than a soup!

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Fish market.
Credit: Ramesh SA, Flickr