Sf Bay Area 23-24 Dungeness crab season! Time for the delay!

I see some in Solano County!

I have never been to an all you can eat crab feed other than in my kitchen.

My routine is to get a few more live ones from the tank at the local Asian market than I have the patience for, I steam them and chill them one by one, then start picking one by one at the sink, as my husband hovers around trying to snag a piece if I should be casual enough to start a pile.

From time to time I might resentfully give him a morsel, and he might resentfully try to crack and pick a few claws.

After the first two we are both more relaxed, and try to make a plan, which is pretty much always the second crab cake recipe from the Boulevard cookbook .

Not this year…yet!

7 Likes

My parents would have rather died than fill up their plates with carbs at a buffet. My mother was famous for never serving bread at dinner, and encouraging us to take as little from the restaurant bread baskets as possible.

2 Likes

I’ve been to a few AYCE crab feeds but never really dug in for a few reasons like volunteering or not enough time. Usually do a family/friends crab feed every year, if possible. Last year, had a few friends over. Last big feed was right before the pandemic hit in January 2020, about dozen people…and I ate so much I got sick…it was great up until then. Use to be able to eat a 2 lb crab by myself, no problem. Not any longer.

re: carbs, dad’s order was to skip rice at Chinese banquets, and anything you could get at home. For something as rich as crab, I’m thinking a little carbs might not be a bad idea after the eating too much incident…just not a lot but something.

1 Like

Still 2.99/lb at Safeway through January 9

4 Likes

Have you tried them? I’m always leery of the ones in my grocery store.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve eaten three of them:

They seemed pretty good to me, although I admit that I am not the most discerning crab eater.

2 Likes

Looks good!

Maybe tomorrow?

I’m wondering where the ones from Safeway are from - the sign says cooked from fresh (rather than frozen).

I’m surprised they don’t mention something about where they are from, but up thread it says Washington or Oregon or both were already commercially available.

1 Like

Incredible, haven’t seen price that low in decades. We thought we scored when we picked some up recently @ $4.97/#. Might just have to swing by and pick some up.

Then again, our season should be opening any day now. Love gorging on the first batch, when you know they are straight out of the water and into our pot.

2 Likes

My local Safeway clerk said the crab were fresh from Oregon, purchased for New Years. The stores have a lot of crab plus the age, thus the price

I purchased 1, it was fine.

2 Likes

Thanks!

At Shun Fat Supermarket in Stockton, “live” crab were $8.99/lb today. The quotes are necessary, IMO, because they certainly did not seem very lively, and a few of them looked pretty damned dead.

2 Likes

Commercial season opened north of Sonoma/Mendocino today…but stormy ocean and coming rain and the crabbers stayed docked. Thought there might be a chance at local crabs this weekend.

2 Likes

Me too, but yesterday my Safeway was unloading the last dozen or so crab for $1.99/lb & I couldnt resist! I grabbed 2 & hubs & I had them for dinner. I do still crack & clean myself. They were very good! :yum:

4 Likes

Finally the crab fishermen might get to go out and hopefully make a living and keep their boats.

1 Like

The commercial fishing season further south {of Sonoma and Mendocine] will remain delayed due to the concentration of whales observed along the coast, including a group of 58 whales feeding near the surface in fishing zones around San Francisco Bay.

Calif. crab fishing zones. Courtesy of CDFW

According to the Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP), the multiple delays in the Dungeness season opening were attributed to humpback whale entanglements and the high number of whale sightings. 16 separate humpback and gray whale entanglements have been reported in California, with four entanglements associated with commercial crabbing nets.

The California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group developed RAMP in 2020, which included commercial and recreational fishermen, environment organization representatives, whale entanglement response network members, and state and federal agencies. They are committed to developing solutions that support thriving whale populations along the West Coast and promote a thriving, profitable Dungeness crab fishery.

RAMP monthly assesses marine life entanglement risk for humpbacks, blue whales, and leatherback sea turtles. When entanglement risk is heightened, the department includes a working group and thoroughly reviews information before taking further action. The actions can include fleet advisories, fishing depth restrictions, and fishery closures.

NMFS has also proposed upgrading California commercial Dungeness crab fishery from a Category 2 to a Category 1, a designation reserved for fisheries that have had frequent likelihood of seriously injuring or killing marine mammals. NMFS must classify each commercial fishery on the List of Fisheries into one of the three categories under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

The next DFWD Assessment is scheduled for Jan. 11.

Have you listened to this article via the audio player above?

If so, send us your feedback around what we can do to improve this feature or further develop it. If not, check it out and let us know what you think via email or on social media.

[

Carli Stewart

](https://www.nationalfisherman.com/author/carli-stewart)

Related

Read Next

January 3, 2024

Uncertain future facing N.C. fishermen

January 3, 2024

NTSB faults fishing vessel lookout in containership collision

2 Likes

Commercial crab season opens Jan 18 -

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) will open the commercial Dungeness crab fishery from the Sonoma/Mendocino county line to the U.S./Mexico border (Central Management Area: Fishing Zones 3-6) under a 50 percent trap reduction beginning Jan. 18, 2024, at 12:01 a.m. with a 64-hour pre-soak to begin on Jan. 15, 2024, at 8 a.m.

3 Likes

I liked this headline;

I wish Dungeness crabs were more readily available at a decent price by me. Last year was my first year ever of not having any blue crabs. Maybe inflation will give them a break and slow down demand enough to allow them to replenish (if the climate doesn’t get to them first).

2 Likes