Sf Bay Area 23-24 Dungeness crab season! Time for the delay!

The north coast checks in

It is my understanding that the Oregon coast season from Cape Foulweather to the California border is scheduled to open Dec. 16th.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Yes, I will repost on the correct one.

1 Like

Still waiting for the season but this is good.

Anyone ever been an AYCE crab feed, and actually ate AYCE?

2 Likes

FYI whole Dungeness crabs are on sale through today 1/2/24 at Safeway (at least at the one I went to in Diamond Heights SF), cooked for $2.99 a lb.

4 Likes

Yes, I have. We used to go to a couple of crab feeds every year, and nearly every one of them I had my fill. I approached crab feeds tactically, not eating any of the bread or pasta on offer until after the crab was served (and only then just a little of each), and only a few bites of salad. In crab feed parlance, Iā€™m whatā€™s known as a ā€˜mounderā€™: I pick and pick and pick until my plate canā€™t hold any more crab and I have a mound of meat nearly falling off the sides. I would then go wash my hands, and dig in. I would usually bring my own sauce (mix of mayo and soy sauce, with a splash of sesame oil).

Mrs. ricepad would pick a bit of crab, then mix it into the salad and pasta. Our approaches were very different! And I would make sure to wear pants with an elastic waist. Another pro-tip: slip the table runners serving your table a few bucks ahead of time and ask them to keep the crab coming.

4 Likes

I see some in Solano County!

I have never been to an all you can eat crab feed other than in my kitchen.

My routine is to get a few more live ones from the tank at the local Asian market than I have the patience for, I steam them and chill them one by one, then start picking one by one at the sink, as my husband hovers around trying to snag a piece if I should be casual enough to start a pile.

From time to time I might resentfully give him a morsel, and he might resentfully try to crack and pick a few claws.

After the first two we are both more relaxed, and try to make a plan, which is pretty much always the second crab cake recipe from the Boulevard cookbook .

Not this yearā€¦yet!

7 Likes

My parents would have rather died than fill up their plates with carbs at a buffet. My mother was famous for never serving bread at dinner, and encouraging us to take as little from the restaurant bread baskets as possible.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been to a few AYCE crab feeds but never really dug in for a few reasons like volunteering or not enough time. Usually do a family/friends crab feed every year, if possible. Last year, had a few friends over. Last big feed was right before the pandemic hit in January 2020, about dozen peopleā€¦and I ate so much I got sickā€¦it was great up until then. Use to be able to eat a 2 lb crab by myself, no problem. Not any longer.

re: carbs, dadā€™s order was to skip rice at Chinese banquets, and anything you could get at home. For something as rich as crab, Iā€™m thinking a little carbs might not be a bad idea after the eating too much incidentā€¦just not a lot but something.

1 Like

Still 2.99/lb at Safeway through January 9

4 Likes

Have you tried them? Iā€™m always leery of the ones in my grocery store.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve eaten three of them:

They seemed pretty good to me, although I admit that I am not the most discerning crab eater.

2 Likes

Looks good!

Maybe tomorrow?

Iā€™m wondering where the ones from Safeway are from - the sign says cooked from fresh (rather than frozen).

Iā€™m surprised they donā€™t mention something about where they are from, but up thread it says Washington or Oregon or both were already commercially available.

1 Like

Incredible, havenā€™t seen price that low in decades. We thought we scored when we picked some up recently @ $4.97/#. Might just have to swing by and pick some up.

Then again, our season should be opening any day now. Love gorging on the first batch, when you know they are straight out of the water and into our pot.

2 Likes

My local Safeway clerk said the crab were fresh from Oregon, purchased for New Years. The stores have a lot of crab plus the age, thus the price

I purchased 1, it was fine.

2 Likes

Thanks!