What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

NFJ continued with leftover shrimp & broc for lunch that tasted so much better after a night in the fridge. I wonder if the peppers had some time to do their magic. Still weird for a stir-fry, but I’ll take it :woman_shrugging:

Finished a song I’ve been working on since the spring :partying_face: (which incidentally is somewhat about food), and started tackling that yuge pile of NYer issues that’s been staring at me accusingly since early September. A busy day at casa lingua :joy:

WFD was a big-ass salad with (say it with me) Aldi’s gem lettuce, cuke, flavor bombs, radishes, and pepitas in a creamy dressing with shallots, garlic & fresh dill – bc fresh herbs make everything better :smiling_face:

Continuing our Fargo binge for dessert.

19 Likes

More rabbit, this time with potatoes. As typical with stews, even though it was excellent last night it was even better tonight.

10 Likes

Sad dinner prepared and consumed in 15 minutes between end of work Teams meeting and choral group Zoom song selection meeting. Liverwurst and Dijon on toast. And some peanuts

17 Likes

Surimi Enchiladas Suizas, 7 layer dip, sour cream, beans

7 Likes

I’m going to like it . :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I bought some cooked Dungeness crab that was on sale locally for $3/lb, and ate one with some hot rice mixed with the crab fat from the head, butter, white wine, garlic, and scallions. Also some dipping sauces - Kewpie mayo mixed with Old Bay, DIY cocktail sauce, and Chingkiang vinegar.

33 Likes

Halibut stew with homemade soup crackers. Salad greens in vinaigrette.

24 Likes

New York steak carved from a t-bone (Selfie gets the bone), seared in the ci, basted in butter, garlic, thyme. Salad, mixed greens, tomato, mushroom, green onion, avocado, blue cheese, ranch.
Dry January, nah. I feel like this is the year I’ll need copious amounts of liquor. I couldn’t decide between a BR or a Manhattans so I had one of each. Ice water in the photo.

24 Likes

This looks and sounds sooo perfect!

2 Likes

That’s me again :woman_facepalming:t2:

J/k… it’s a good exercise for DH and me.

3 Likes

Balcony mustard greens & arugula (I don’t even remember planting this, but it’s growing) with scallions, ventresca tuna, olives and creamy dill dressing. Sweet pepper, basil and tomato soup. I would like to move to “in with the new” but I’m still working on “out with the old”!

24 Likes

Meatless Monday (on a Tuesday b/c of the holidays)

20 Likes

It tasted perfect too.

2 Likes

Braised Chicken and Potatoes in Curry Sauce - Bone-in chicken thighs and potatoes are braised in a sauce made from slightly crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, curry powder, onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeño and cilantro

22 Likes

Looks homey and delicious! Did you use a recipe or wing it?

Haha yeah we’re not vegetarian, we just like the Quorn joint and would have loved goose fat potatoes even more. My partner prefers the Quorn to pretty much any other centerpiece meat so that’s what I’m happy to do.

The devilled eggs are topped with toasted breadcrumbs, the filling is really simple, just the yolks, mayo, lots of onion powder, bit of garlic powder and dried herbs. The breadcrumbs give a nice textural difference though they do soften when left overnight, at least in my case they did.

6 Likes

That looks like a proper treat. Love the variety of sauces too, can never have too much in my opinion

2 Likes

Jealous of all the crab folks have been posting! Must rectify soon (which should be easier access at the moment).

1 Like

Apparently Damp January is also a thing according to WaPo :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

We love Quorn items in our house—even my 9-year old—but I’ve never seen the roast in our local shops (Greater Boston). I’ll be on the lookout for it.

2 Likes