September–December 2022 Baking Cookbook of the Month: SNACKABLE BAKES

Of course, anytime- seems like a real solid book so far.

Blondies from Jessie Sheehan’s Snackable Bakes. I brought these to our block party so omitted pecans and doubled the dark, milk, and white chocolate chips. Maldon sea salt on top. Huge hit!

10 Likes

BETTER THN APPLE PIE BARS (p. 32)

These are so good! We had a bunch of apples from our farm box, and I’ve really missed baking, so I went for it. So glad I did. Made the crust/crumble in the FP, very easy. Take some out and put in pan and bake for 15 minutes. Toss your slices apples with cinnamon, sugar, flour, and lemon juice. Put on top of crust, and the rest of crust as crumble on top of the apples and bake about 60 minutes, rotating halfway through. I’m not a huge apple pie person, but gosh I love these.

15 Likes

awesome! I think i’ll make them for Rosh Hashanah. There’s really nothing like baking - it’s soul-soothing.

5 Likes

OMG! @LulusMom1 , RIGHT after I responded to your post, a friend stopped by with a bag of apples from a local orchard! It’s meant to be.

5 Likes

How does the recipe on her website compare to the one in the book? The last thing I need is another baking book, but this recipe speaks to me…

1 Like

It’s pretty different. I can send you a copy of the recipe.

2 Likes

Kismet!

2 Likes

It’s different enough that I can’t vouch for it. If you don’t get it from Sally let me know and I’ll paraphrase.

1 Like

Buttermilk cinnamon-sugar donut holes - these were AMAZING. My husband ate some (this isn’t typical) and said that they were better than an orchard’s cider donut. My batch made 24 (not 30), I baked for 10 minutes, and used just a smidge less of the melted butter/cinnamon-sugar rolling mixture.

6 Likes

Sally sent to me earlier today and I finally had a chance to compare - just looking at the crust, they differ quite a bit in the proportions of flour, butter, and sugar. I’ll report back on whatever I end up trying…

3 Likes

Upside down plum cake. This was fantastic. I used Italian prune plums and wished for a heavier plum layer.

14 Likes

It looks luscious!

3 Likes

Pear Sour Cream Snacking Cake Page 49
This cakes has oil and sour cream. Result is a very moist cake. No mixer used. We loved it and i think you can use a lot of different fruit. My pears were Bartlett.

9 Likes

STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE p.55

I’ve been buying half flats of end of season strawberries to make jam. Scooped out some to try this cake.

The amount of sugar was more than I like to put in a cake— but I was hesitant to reduce it because sometimes that really changes the texture of cakes. In the end, I reduced it by half a cup and omitted the turbinado. It was plenty sweet, and the texture was lovely.

We had 5 tasters, 2 adults and 3 teens. Everyone liked it. One of the teens added plain yogurt on top to counteract the sweetness.

I was very impressed by how easy it was to assemble this cake. Basically I threw it together in 15 minutes before my last meeting on Friday, and it baked while I was working. My only quibble is that the strawberries sunk to the bottom, so the cake wasn’t as lovely as the photo. I have coated blueberries in flour before to prevent this problem but don’t know if I’d want to try that with strawberries. Any suggestions?

Strawberry cake
StrawberryCake2

8 Likes

Hi everyone! Voting is in process for Cookbook of the Month, Cuisine of the Quarter, and Dish of the Quarter — come join in and cook along!

NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S BLUEBERRY STREUSEL MUFFINS (p. 20)

I just discovered Hungry Onion searching for reviews of recipes for Snackable Bakes and I decided to stay and join the discussion. This is the first recipe in the book and my first Jessie Sheehan recipe to ever bake. I’m not sure these muffins were any more “easy-peasy” than any other muffin recipe I’ve ever baked but the results were good. I used fresh blueberries and I followed the recipe - working hard to gently fold in the flour and blueberries and not overmix.

Baking time was spot on and muffins were delicious. Great start!

Next up: Banana Snacking Cake with Chocolate Malted Cream Cheese Frosting. My very ripe bananas are waiting on the counter and the malted milk powder arrived in the mail yesterday (an ingredient I have never used). What else can I do with this ingredient? Thoughts welcome.

15 Likes

These are so good. I used mutzu apples ans reduced sugar by 10%. Will be made often

11 Likes

If you like hot chocolate in the winter try adding a spoonful of malted milk powder. I love it!

1 Like

welcome Kellie!

3 Likes