Scrambled Eggs

This thread reminded me that I should make menemen again soon. It’s one scrambled egg dish that I don’t mind the eggs being more creamy than fluffy. This version which has you cook the whites before adding in the yolks looks really good to me, since I just really hate under-cooked egg whites.

Torn on whether I should make a fluffy flatbread to go with it or a crusty bread instead. Both are good in different ways. :yum:

6 Likes

I’m torn about this method. We tried it this morning following the instructions and while the eggs stayed soft, they had a distinct cornstarch flavor and a strange mouthfeel. I would dial down the cornstarch a lot so it’s just enough to barely coat the eggs.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you mean this? I didn’t have a method that included cornstarch in that post, just a link to the technique of longyau and Kenji’s post on how to attain different results for scrambled eggs.

What I linked was a Serious Eats article where he explained to use higher heat for fluffy eggs, and low heat for creamy. He didn’t call for cornstarch in either method.

I haven’t tried this, but cornstarch taste is the result of not bringing the cornstarch up the simmering point so that the raw flavors cooks out. If you cook it hot enough any flavor will disappear, though as you said you will notice it texturally.

The cornstarch retains moisture, and you do see it in Cantonese recipes a lot of times, though plenty make it without and I’ve ultimately come to prefer dishes like egg and shrimp without the addition of cornstarch in the eggs.

2 Likes

The cornstarch was fully cooked and I could still taste it compared to unadulterated egg. Sorry about the wrong reply - I tried to correct it to respond to the comment linking Food52, and then couldn’t find my post at all. Weird.

3 Likes

Lots of butter :rofl:

1 Like

OK, I’m definitely going to try this!

2 Likes

If I have those eggs no need for me to set up my Moka Pot.

1 Like

Recently I have been using the NYT/Kenji recipe for scrambled eggs, and I like it. I dont taste anything from the corn starch, to me the difference in favor is the generous use of butter in the recipe. I got tired of the scramble and go technique that produces dried rubbery scrambled eggs…and enjoy the buttery creaminess of Kenji’s method. I have watched Jacque Pepin make scrambled eggs…and while he gets nice results…ehh…too much work!

1 Like

Where I live, Colby is the cheapest cheese. I’ve learned it’s my preferred cheese with eggs. Just perfect.

2 Likes

I tried this Kenji/Food52 recipe for eggs with cornstarch slurry again. This time I used a small amount - maybe 1/3-1/2 tsp cornstarch whisked in 1/4 c milk. Beat in 7 eggs and seasoned with salt and pepper. Those sat for about 30 min until they were just cooked through in a hot pan with about 1 Tbsp browned butter. They turned out very well - and the cornstarch flavor was undetectable this time.

3 Likes

I didn’t cook these for 30 min. They just sat whisked until I was ready to cook.

4 Likes

I don’t really have a strong opinion on how to cook scrambled eggs (I have my method and it works fine for me), but I will say that a bit of nutritional yeast added to scrambled eggs is transformative.

If you’re not doing it, you haven’t really experienced what scrambled eggs can be.

“If you’re doing it, you haven’t really experienced what scrambled eggs can be.”

Did you mean if I’m not doing it?

I’m not yet willing to give it a go.

Oops, sorry, typo. Just corrected.

I would try it.

But it’s up to you. Just something to consider when (or if) you’re ever up to to it.

1 Like

Isn’t nutritional yeast (ny) traditionally used as a cheese replacement? That’s my understanding would that be a correct assumption?

How much (ny) do you recommend for 8 eggs?

Yes, traditionally speaking.

But I really think nowadays it’s really more a of a shot of umami. I don’t like cheese at all (except on pizza, and only sparingly) but I like nutritional yeast. So for me it’s really not a cheese replacement at all.

For eight eggs? I would say maybe 10-15 grams (or about a tablespoon).

2 Likes

Thanks for this. So I’d try it when cooking for several, but the cornstarch would be fractional just for 1-2 eggs and not worth it seems to be the takeaway.

Perfect thanks ! Ill try it and report back.

Interesting !
What else would you use it for to bump up the flavour profile?

I think if one is careful not to overdo nutritional yeast you avoid the “cheese” profile but still take advantage of the umami effect that it has.

Salt? :wink:

But if you want to get really adventurous, a healthy shake of furikake seasoning always provides a nice new dimensional balance to the scrambled eggs.

2 Likes