Scrambled Eggs

With regard to the video that was posted above, think about it. She almost charred green onion tops in oil on high heat. Then wiped it out and added more oil (did you see how much?), and then swirled the ingredients in a puddle of oil constantly until done. Under these circumstances, what would stick?

@Olunia

I wanted to respond via DM but your profile is blocked.

Soā€¦ I get (and admire) your desire to respond to folks with what is right, and maybe not so right based on the constraints of their sitch. I think I might do the same if their sitch was not easily/cheaply addressable. In this case, it is buying a $20-30 pan for superior results. Really tough for me to recommend anything different in this case. (c;

3 Likes

I will be unblocking it soon, I felt the need to do that for a short period of time.
Thank you for your response very kind and genuine. Thank you.

3 Likes

Late to the party, but here goes: Jacques Pepin points out that in whisking eggs, you should rapidly move the whisk from left to right, right to left, never lifting the whisk off the bottom of the bowl. If you lift it, you are making a partially aerial whirlpool, doing very little actual mixing.

2 Likes

I personally use round bottom carbon steel wok for creamy scrambled egg. Use lowest heat , then beat the egg in the wok directly.

I used to use stainless steel but carbon steel is much easier to wash.

2 Likes

In a heavy duty stainless steel pan, preheat over medium heat, add drop of oil and wipe out with a piece of paper towel. Shut off burner, then mix eggs how ever it suits you. Turn on heat to medium-ish, run a stick of butter across bottom and up sides slightly, leaving only a light film of butter. When butter starts to look hot, add egg, mix with flexible spatula. Cooks very quickly and leaves very little residual egg in pan. As for carbon steel, I only use it to make fried eggs. Itā€™s well seasoned and I get no sticking at all.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll do very low heat for the most creamy scrambled eggs. But it takes a lot longer

That video was posted by @Claus back in CH and inspired me to try out the shaking technique of making the eggs and it was nice.

For myself I have discovered, that there is no seasoning needed and making omelettes works even with a freshly BKFd stainless pan. All that is needed IMO is a clean pan, I mean no food residue on the pan, a preheat and a well spread oil/butter for the omelettes or scramble not to stick.

For pan preheat, I have also found that there is a lot of leeway in the pan temp, but a good idea to try make the pan evenly heated. Hotter pan just cooks faster. Honestly I think omelettes especially is extremely easy on stainless and the shaking scramble way is cool and fun :).

While doable, then the problems can come with fried eggs and I prefer to use a carbon or cast iron pan for those with butter.

When I first heard about that method I tried to convince myself that I liked that custardy version better than what I usually make. I donā€™t. And it takes forever :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I usually donā€™t prep eggs this way these days. Although I liked the custard texture. Been doing a 3 egg omelette with shredded cheese on weekends for the 2 of us. Using Jacques Pepinā€™s method. Goes very fast

3 Likes

I prefer mine less wet. I also often add shrooms or peppers, onions & cheese to my scramblees.

Thanks Pettri,

I remembered viewing that video on CH however, could not remember who posted it. I did refer it in a separate post.

I like SS pan for fried eggs because they donā€™t stick.
What is your secret to not to have them stick in a cast iron?

Saw this and thought that it might be fun to do a taste test.

2 Likes

That was such a great show! Thanks for posting the video!

1 Like

Sheā€™s handling that circular saw like itā€™s not her first rodeo! That me rescue my copy of ā€œJuliaā€™s Kitchen Wisdomā€ from the "to be donated " box where Iā€™ve been testing life without it for about 6 months. ā€œEgg Cookeryā€ starts on page 64.

2 Likes

This Frankenthread predates my return to HO, so apologiesā€¦

I actually like my scrambled eggs a little variegatedā€“the curds just look a little more interesting to me.

In omelets, not so much. With them, a lot of beating, in a copper bowl with a pinch of salt, a spoon of water, and a bit of Dijon mustard gets everything smooth and emulsified. You can continue far past just the emulsion stage by beating long enough to entrain air for puffy-style omelets.

1 Like

Good to know. Ty

Same here. You nailed it.

4 Likes

That is another reason for me to eat eggs at home.
Sunnyside up soft yolk with a cooked egg white hard to find eating out.

4 Likes