Salt Cod

A few years ago I was buying dandelion greens on the regular for my guinea pigs. Pretty sure they are the same ones we call weeds when they are in your lawn.

1 Like

Warning: OT

I checked out the local market in a small town in Greece where I stayed for a few days. It’s normal there to sell fruits and produce from one’s own garden. Nothing looks supermarket-style “pretty” and clean, and uniform. Anyway, I was wondering if this was dandelion greens or rucula.

Then at a stall a few steps away. This time I was pretty sure it’s dandelion greens. The price difference is also dramatic.

A day later I took a train to a village and saw this in a shop:

Finally ate the greens last year in Sicily. I have very high tolerance for bitter food but this takes the biscuit! I liked and would eat again.

Briefly wilted with some olive oil and garlic

3 Likes

Trini cod fish cakes . Or maybe Bajan.

1 Like

Found this looking for a recipe for salt cod and kale.

1 Like

Thanks, shrinkrap. Salt cod deserves a much longer exploration here.
Taking a short diversion for those who don’t have easy access to prime salt cod, consider a quick salt at home. This is a prevalent treatment in Europe. Just settle your white fish fillet(s) on a platter with sea salt, cover with more, and let sit for a period. Half an hour is you just want to firm up your fish, longer if you want a noticeably salted product. Wash off the salt, dry and proceed with your recipe. We often make brandade with quick salted fish. Light and delicate. A good way to first experience salt fish.

5 Likes

I found this salt fish and kale recipe, but I’m not feeling it.

I think I was more inspired by this one, but potatoes. Note to self 1 pound cod, 2 baking potatoes, 8 servings.

For pork, I have pancetta or lap cheong ( 腊肠…one day!)

I don’t think I have seen this one before.

Nor this one. Note to self; Five cups of bread, 2 pounds cod, 4 servings.

Here’s mine.

I used a bit of all the recipes.

Tasted great, some potatoes, but not too heavy.

3 Likes

One of the nice food-related books I brought back from Portugal: this one specifically covers Portuguese and regional salt(ed) cod dishes. Full page photos for all recipes. Very nice. (Damn this “pandie”. I want to eat some Portuguese food in Portugal!)

Covers
Recipe index
Publisher’s contact info

1 Like

I really like salt cod but usually end up eating in ver limited ways. This thread is a big help. Thanks @shrinkrap for starting it and all the contributors.

@pilgrim - I love the idea of reverse salting. We always have lots of white fish in the freezer as Mr Bean is an avid fisher who believes in catch and eat. It’s not cod of course but I definitely plan on trying your method.

4 Likes

Bammy and salt fish.

5 Likes

Also japanese! The shioyaki treatment works well.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that recipe. I have some bluefish in the freezer - which most people around here toss back - which would probably work well as it is an oily fish like mackerel

1 Like

Great thread . I have 2 pounds of salt cod I ordered from a new york deli last month. Another fun buy . Making eggplant parmigiana for Christmas. Going to incorporate the cod as another dish .

2 Likes

Hope it goes well, though never done that with bluefish! But even some (relatively) leaner ones like salmon or Arctic char can be great

1 Like

Most of our local grocers have salt cod year round, though there is much more now. Let me know if you ever need more, I’d be happy to send you some!

Do you do the 7 fishes for Xmas?

We mostly have sea bass, striped bass, and fluke in stock which are abundant in the water off the coast of NJ. They are all very lean but I think will take to the sake/salt treatment and light grilling well.

Salt fish fritters

7 Likes

I grew up on New England “cod fish cakes”. I think my father may even have bought them canned. Like maybe 3 or 4 to a can. I loved them.

Fast forward, we make brandade which, as described upthread, is infinitely adaptable. Main course, spread, pan fried. May actually be time for a batch!

3 Likes

Very nice!

Salt cod “balls” (though more oval in shape) are a snack I like to eat when in Portugal. So far I haven’t gone out of my way looking for them here on Madeira. Not sure if they are as popular here.

2 Likes
2 Likes