Salt Cod

Working on this one, but found these as well.

Baccala Rachenate or Baccala Racanto (Baked salt cod, using breadcrumbs, cauliflower, raisins and parsley)

3 Likes

I used coconut milk with heavy cream. Needed a bit more sweet to balance so I added more raisins.

5 Likes

I am making salt cod for the first time this week!

4 Likes

I love fried rice with salted fish, and thought of using salt cod as a sub, but it’s a different type of salted fish in that. Salt cod just doesn’t have that awesome funk :joy:.

I love salt cod since I grew up with it, typically with scrambled eggs which my mother favors over the more common way with tomato sauce that is done here. Bacalaitos are also good, though I tend to prefer other fritters from different cuisines. Mediterranean preparations of salt cod are all great.

1 Like

Weird- this is it uses fresh cod and then he salts it. Wondering if I can use soaked salt cod for the same thing.

I’ve made some very nice bacalao from fresh cod filets, yes, with added salt. Which reminds me, I have some frozen now. I think I’ll pick up some potatoes today and make some more.

1 Like

Interesting. That recipe doesn’t call for potatoes at all, nor a coating of bread crumbs on top to toast up in the oven. Thinking…

I don’t use potatoes in my dishes, and am always on the lookout for recipes without them. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like
2 Likes

This thread reminded me of a dish I first had for the first time right before the pandemic and loved instantly: it’s “ackee and saltfish,” which I had for brunch with a Caribbean friend at a Jamaican/pan-Caribbean joint in Brooklyn called Negril. He ordered it, I was curious, ordered it also, and was instantly hooked.

I had already enjoyed salted cod in other cuisines (French and Spanish) but this might be my favorite way to have it. I considered going back to the same spot when I was in the city last weekend, but the dish now costs $31 and that’s steep even for me.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to try other places in NYC, I think you should be able to find it for closer to $20 at a more basic Caribbean restaurant. I checked at one of the long running midrange Jamaican restaurants in Toronto (The Real Jerk, which I’ve been visiting since 1991) , and it’s currently $18 Cdn. To put that into perspective, I’ve been paying $24.99 Cdn/lb for fresh salmon at the grocery store, cauliflower is selling for $5.99 Cdn each, and a Grande Cappuccino at Starbucks costs $5.60 Cdn. LOL

1 Like

good idea, and i live on the cusp of a huge caribbean neighborhood so i’m sure i could find other options.

1 Like

I took a quick look.

There’s an Eater list of Caribbean restaurants but I stopped following Eater after it let me down in Detroit.
It costs $26 at Jasmine’s in the West 40s . No idea how good it might be.

I dined at Negril in the 90s, but I’m not sure if Negril Village on W 3rd near Washington Square is connected to the Negril I went to, which I seem to remember being close to 14th St. Negril Village is charging $36 :rofl: . Better be amazing at that price!

Appreciate your doing the due diligence for me :slight_smile: Not sure I would face toward Manhattan if I wanted a budget version of this great dish. It’s all about finding the regular-joe places where the regular joes actually live (and that ain’t in the west 40s!) That means Flatbush.

1 Like

Oh, I know. :slight_smile: mind you, you never know. Stella’s in Brooklyn (looks hipper than Jasmine’s) is charging $27.

We have a lot of Jamaican & Caribbean restaurants in TO. I live around 2 miles from one of the neighbourhoods that has a couple dozen Caribbean restaurants (Eglinton West has a Little Jamaica). I tend to go to the restaurants that are midrange to upscale (unfortunately, most upscale Caribbean restaurants in Toronto haven’t been able to stay in business for more than a decade or so), rather than the cheapest restaurants and take-out restaurants, because the cheapest ones, where the regular Joes & lunch traffic goes, are really salty. I’ve only learned this after trying dozens of bang for the buck hole-in-the-walls.

Holiday breakfast with the inlaws! Salt fish with and without akee. It really resembles scrambled eggs, but scrambled eggs seems preferred by some.

Have you tried it sauteed with bammy? My favorite.

4 Likes

Queens!

1 Like

My first salt cod preparation. I scooped out most of it, then made eggs in baccala purgatory with the rest. The eggs were tasty but ugly, so no photo of that.

This recipe , olives omitted https://www.seriouseats.com/baccala-alla-napoletana-neapolitan-style-braised-salt-cod-5212995

Might prepare this next https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/salt-cod-potato-gratin.amp.html

5 Likes

brooklyn.

1 Like

I did make a brandade yesterday, with the frozen cod fillets and Yukon Gold potatoes. The texture of the fish wasn’t quite right, too tough after a 120F/45 minute sous vide. I usually cook whitefish to 116, so maybe that was the problem. Fines herbes and white pepper for seasoning.

1 Like