Who Uses Dishers, and for What?

Nope.

I just use a Chinese soup spoon.

Interesting that Matfer doesn’t even have a name. In fact, the only similar thing I could find in their catalog was called “ice cream scoop”.

1 Like

if you’re making - for example - a batch of cookies qty dozen+… - having a uniform dough qty per cookie is a serious advantage.

for salmon balls - deep fried - serious advantage
for salmon hand formed patties, not really. . .
for Ikea Swedish meat balls, an essential tool

bottom line - very useful depending on what you’re doing -
and bottom line (2) - one size does not fit all - multiple/various volume scoops needed

3 Likes

Large and small, mainly used for cookie dough. For rice, I lightly oil a small bowl to get that cute hemispherical mound.

But I don’t think I’ve heard the term “dishers”, although I suppose it makes sense. Similar to what small_h says, we just call them scoops or cookie scoops. (We have a different thingie for ice cream)

1 Like

Nope. I did thought about getting one for the cookie dough (that was when I was very much into making cookies)

That reminds me; I also use one for codfish cakes/fritters.

I’m all about portion control with them especially for cookies. Haven’t tried the Hamilton Beach color coded ones yet but they sound handy.

I use dishers for both shaping and portion control. They’re versatile tools in the kitchen. I love the Hamilton Beach color-coded ones too, as they make it easy to grab the right size quickly. Last night, I used a large one for serving rice in a neat mound for a Thai red curry. And sometimes, I use a small disher as a melon baller. It’s less about specific portions for me and more about the art of plating. I’m considering getting a couple more sizes to enhance my options.

I think what makes a disher a disher is the internal “windshield wiper”. Mine don’t work too well on very hard ice cream.

1 Like

Yep. We have that thingie (unofficially I just decided to rename it the Descoopinator™) in the two cookie scoops.

The ice cream scoop is absent the descoopinator and is really a rounded-out rectangular spoon rather than being half a sphere like the others.

Literally had to google the term so I guess the answer is no. I do use a spoon for cookies and an ice cream scoop for matzoh balls. Sometimes. Big fan of eyeballing things here.

1 Like

That’s good portion control, given how small eyeballs are ;-D

2 Likes

Sigh…

I have (from largest to smallest):

#14 <— two of these, I’ll sometimes dirty both in one day

I like them for ease of production, consistancy of quantity, and predictability of cooking time. If my recipe is for 8 scones, I want 8 identical scones every single time, all of which bake to temperature at (or about) the anticipated time. Same goes for meatballs. Same goes for cookies.

I never use them for ice cream. I have a special scoop for that. :rofl:

7 Likes

Man, we had holsters for the Salad and Jerky Shooters, but you need a bandoleer for 10 dishers!

1 Like

Wow. Yesterday spouse made chocolate chip cookies and weighed each one to ensure uniform size. He would love your approach and equipment :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Stocking stuffer ideas for a lifetime!

2 Likes

Surprisingly, the Hamilton Beach models don’t come cheap.

Webstaurantstore.com seems to have a good selection of the HB brand at a reasonable price. I prefer the scoops with the squeeze handle. My latest acquistions have been from Amazon, without issue. The largest sizes are not inexpensive, but they do make my life easier, so for me it is money well spent.

I too learned a new term.
I most often use my scoops for muffin batter or cookie dough.

2 Likes

You’re in good company. I indirectly asked David Lebovitz what the French word was for disher, and the answer came back: “ice cream scoop”. The mutual friend who asked him hadn’t heard of dishers, either.

However… In 1897, the inventor called this a disher. See, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_L._Cralle And that’s what most resto supply houses call them. See, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoop_(utensil) :

“In the technical terms used by the food service industry and in the retail and wholesale food utensil industries, there is a clear distinction between three types of scoop: the disher , which is used to measure a portion e.g. cookie dough, to make melon balls, and often to serve ice cream (although manufacturers frequently advise against using dishers for ice cream and other frozen foods);[citation needed] ice cream scoops, and the scoop which is used to measure or to transfer an unspecified amount of a bulk dry foodstuff such as rice, flour, or sugar.”

2 Likes