Salmon Inspiration!

Olive oil poached salmon. You’ll need a lot of olive oil, but the silky texture of the cooked fish worth the trouble.

7 Likes

If you have a sous vide circulator, you can recreate this effect with much less oil, too. I agree that the texture is totally worth the effort!

5 Likes

I like to use almost the same recipe I use for seared chilean sea bass
It was posted on the 12/2018 what’s for dinner #40.
Bobby Flay’s recipe is almost similar. but I do not think he is using real (Aji Mirin) which makes a big difference as Aji mirin though sweet has no artificial sweetener His recipe calls for a1/4 cup of mirin. I like to use 4 years old aged mirin, the ones manufactured by ogasawara, When aji mirin is used, I use 1-2 tablespoon, just enough to offset the saltiness of the miso and give the fish a nice glaze. This aji mirin is not available in the US( as it contains 14% alcohol unless you can find it in a liquor store or buy sake and make your own aji mirin ) but can be purchased from The Japan Store, Well worth the effort. it is smooth so I was told and can be used as a liquor over rocks. It cost just about $10.00 plus fed Ex from Japan .I buy two bottles at a time, cost around $50 total with S/H . Japan Store has fantastic CS and keeps track , even sending an email when it arrives.

Basically, I sear the fish with EVOO, set aside, using the same frying pan ( obviously with chilean sea bass, no oil is used as it release a lot of oil during searing just like a duck breast), I add to the pan that has EVOO, ginger, garlic, miso, shoaxing wine , a tablespoon or two of mirin to offset the salty miso and some broth till it is reduced., add some spring onions, and sesame oil ,t hen I pour the sauce over the salmon to serve with rice. The sauce reduces very fast because of the miso. ideally, it should be thick enough to glaze the salmon. I like to add my rice to the pot to make use of every bit of that yummy sauce

Mirin is similar to sake , but has more sugar and a lower alcohol content ,14% to be precise .

3 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with the chef, Nigel Palmer, and this site is a little too commercial-y, but I’ve used this recipe for firm white-flesh fish and salmon. It’s really good and easy. https://www.homechef.com/meals/korean-sesame-and-chile-roasted-mahi-mahi

4 Likes

I’ve never done this but looks so wildly easy! Can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

Don’t know if you saw my mustard salmon “series” lol - here is the method and here are a couple of different versions of it - baked, cooked stovetop, and en papillote.

I love Nobu’s saikyo miso cod, which takes at least a day of prep, but ATK came out with a quicker version (texture is not as luscious as the longer marinade, but it’s still good).

And Vietnamese caramel fish is a lovely application too.

Adding one more - Parsi patra-ni-macchi ie fish wrapped in a banana leaf (OG en papillote) - fish is coated in green chutney with optional coconut, wrapped up, and steamed. You can also bake it with the chutney as a sauce, but the packet version is a bit different.

6 Likes

I do the Pacific Northwest Salmon from New Basics every. Single. Week.

10 Likes

I missed your mustard series entirely! Thanks for posting! Love the idea of that miso salmon too.

1 Like

Baste with Kewpie brand creamy roasted sesame dressing before baking at 375-400F. That dressing should be a controlled substance!

4 Likes

With or without MSG? :rage:

2 Likes

Open wide… https://www.kewpieshop.com/products/kewpie-deep-roasted-sesame-dressing-8oz

2 Likes

Timely post.

Recent purchase. Portioned and vac bagged the majority and tucked in the freezer for later use. The tail ends and bellies went directly on the smoker

3 Likes

Anyone have a new salmon recipe to share?

1 Like

Here is one of my favs with honey, garlic, and lemon.

2 Likes

These ginger spiked salmon and potato cakes are a delicious way to use scraps that aren’t pristine enough for tartare and too small to use else.

Endless variations, too. The other night I stretched a small amount of salmon with a small can of tiny shrimp, blitzed everything before adding the usual onion, dill, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link! They sound delicious.

Have you tried the Bengali(-ish) mustard salmon I suggested upthread yet? Delicious, and different.

Nigella had a fish bharta (also Bengali/Bangladeshi) adaptation that uses fish sticks but it would be very tasty with salmon - you don’t need to mash too much if it’s a nice piece of fish, just use the spice mixture as a topping.

3 Likes

I like to cook fresh salmon fast and hot.

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stove. My skillet holds about a 1-lb., skin-on filet.

Cover the flesh side with a thin layer of rub: flaky salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Heat 2 T. of olive oil in the hot pan. Sear the salmon flesh-side down in the hot pan for 2 minutes. Turn over and sear the skin-side for 1 minute. Insert into oven until just shy of flaky and slightly raw in the middle, about a total of 10 minutes per inch, including the time on the stove. If pulled off correctly, salmon will be blackened on the top, and perfectly cooked inside. Frequently I don’t get the fish quite blackened, but it is still delicious. In that case, I’ll buy another one and try again. :yum:

This will make a mess of everything - pan, oven and stove - but to me it is worth it.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

One of my favourite fish preps is an Indian cilantro-covered fish at a local restaurant, describe as “Tandoori Mahi Tikka
Large pieces of fish marinated in mint & cilantro with its special spices then baked in tandoor”

I also like this specific spice blend, from Jaswant’s, for fish. https://www.jaswantskitchen.com/collections/products/products/masala-fish-seasoning

1 Like

BA has a paywall now, but you can likely get a free look–this salmon teriyaki is simple and delicious.

2 Likes