What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

The duck looks amazing - hope you enjoyed it all!

I think how these fish are labeled depends where in the world you are. I’ve always understood “butterfish” to be escolar and I avoid it at all costs. Escolar does terrible things to my innards.

3 Likes

thanks for the tip
We did ( including my Pomeranians who were given some treats that I found again, Kangaroo burgers, kangaroo tracheas but stil no Kangaroo tendons which is apparently not available currently they’re in hog heaven!

yes he does but we are at fault bec we spoiled him, being the only child.

1 Like

I’m going to try it with striped bass the next time DH gets a keeper. I think I would cook the veggies by themselves for a while and add the striper a bit later. Will have to experiment, but we both really liked this recipe.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was a recreation of the previous night’s dinner at a friend’s - I enjoyed it that much!

Indian, mostly Bengali meal - mustard salmon, dal cooked with mixed vegetables, and rice. Non-Bengali part was the vegetable, which was my favorite Gujarati prep - cauliflower and peas, very lightly spiced.

I ate the meal Bengali-style - in courses - because the fish took longer to cook than I anticipated :smiley: So rice with dal and vegetable first, and a bit more rice with fish later.

The salmon was fabulous - I don’t know if it was because i bought into the marketing label of Faroe island salmon or just because I usually buy wild salmon, which is leaner, and this was more unctuous which made the difference.

Might have to have a redo of this exact meal again - this mustard and salmon combination is making my tastebuds sing, and I have dal and veg left over.

Baked a quick orange olive oil cake the previous day to take over for dessert, as the reason for the dinner was friend’s kid leaving for college, and he loves this cake (he was the guinea pig for my olive oil cake experiments when I decided to try way too many recipes a few years ago).

I covered the bundt with a simple orange glaze after.

17 Likes

Ooohh, getting hungry just thinking about that. I hope you post about the result if you do get to try out that version.

2 Likes

That all looks great.

ETA: is this Jaffrey recipe comparable, @Saregama?

1 Like

In these parts, escolar is called white tuna.

2 Likes

As others have mentioned, there are no hard and fast rules regarding what people call fish. In New York, what people refer to as butterfish is nothing like Dover sole - I posted a picture, upthread - and it’s caught locally.

2 Likes

HMM. that link is for chicken curry! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

same here.

well, i paid about $12, as it wasn’t a full pound of fish, but yes, i think probably sable.

That’s so weird! I have no idea where that even comes from. Here’s the right one: https://ourbalancedbowl.com/easy-homemade-banana-pudding/

1 Like

The Sable which is a North Pacific Cod Fish, is the fish Maria Carmen had and she stated she paid approx 12 Usd $ for almost a pound. The cod family fish are very thick … And her fish was a slab … I pay for wild captured fresh 19 €uros a Kilo.

For sure it was not butterfish which is Icelandic and very delicate similar to Dover Sole on interior and often filet-ed here at top restaurants.

Once again - butterfish is different things to different people. Here in New York, it is not Icelandic. It is not similar to Dover sole. And it’s almost never found in top restaurants, since it’s a cheap, $3/lb fish.

Your experience is just that - your experience. What is “true” for you, is not necessarily true for everyone.

2 Likes

orange bundt are looks lovely and delicious.
Hardly cook salmon anymore
Favorite is Duck Trap’s Pastrami style salmon which I can get as a side at the wholesaler but they only open 2:00Am-9<00 and and discourage walk in customers, except I tend to buy a lot when I go there. I would order at least 6 - slabs plus other smoked sea food such as smoked mussels, smoked and fresh trout, dry scallops and clams . They are reasonable compared to buying a side on line from Mckenzie who charge around 70 dollars + for a sides based on weight. .I can get it for for $30+ for a side at Reliiant Food. When I do go there, the minimum I will buy is 6 sides. They can be left in freezer, no change in texture and taste. That would be breakfast with croissant and cream cheese with my poms . Son prefers to use that with his Fritatta.
D0F52843-BD8F-4DD3-953F-717FC53E02E8_4_5005_c

4 Likes

The name is the same but the fish are totally different in E.U. than in North America.

I shall see if I have a photo.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I’VE BEEN SAYING ACROSS 3 OR 4 POSTS.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Joy of Cooking - Squirrels etc.