Salads

What kind of dressing will you make ?

This was dressed in a fairly unassuming, lightly tart vinaigrette made with a celery leaf vinegar (that I don’t have, nor am I going to make it myself :joy:) and presumably olive oil.

I think I might use champagne vinegar and toasted walnut oil to amp up the nuttiness. I really gotta make this soon
 :drooling_face:

Do report back how yours came out!

I usually have champagne vin. If I don’t I’ll use white balsamic

1 Like

Sherry might work, too. A little dryer, perhaps.

1 Like

I had to use nice Parm so I shaved it a little less extravagantly than your photo. I substituted toasted pecans for the hazelnuts, and dressed it a bit sparingly with white balsamic vin and good EVOO.

Delicious. Celery and dates is a genius combination. Will repeat for sure.

4 Likes

Would anyone happen to have a “shaved celery, toasted hazelnut, chopped dates, and ricotta salata.” recipe? I know most of you can wing it, but I would at least like to have a bookmark.

1 Like

I wish! All I knows is the ingredients, and that the restaurant used celery leaf vinegar - I don’t even recall which oil they used, but think that a nut oil is def not the wrong choice.

The celery was very thinly shaved lengthwise, each piece perhaps 1" or so long, and I’m still trying to figure out how to do this on my mandolin without losing all my knuckle meat. I guess one could just say fuckit and cut it in thin half moons, as per usual. Not sure just how important it would be to the overall end product.

They used the chopped dates sparingly, which I plan to do as well - maybe even fewer. The hazelnuts were toasted and chopped into chunks, and the ricotta was very generously showered atop.

I don’t think you’ll have a hard time making this, and tweaking to your liking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s reminding me of the cauliflower date salad that was popular a while back.

2 Likes

I looked for ricotta salata at the grocery store last night during my quick pre-storm shop. No luck. I did buy more celery, so I might make it with parmesean again anyway.

1 Like

I plan on making it on Monday as a side or app for seared scallops :slight_smile:

1 Like

No ricotta salata, so I used some Parmigiana Reggiano Stravecchio, I thought that would be a better choice then feta or aged Gouda. How about Asiago?. Also, I added a bit of sliced fennel, and sliced almonds for hazelnuts.

Anyway, so far so good.

7 Likes

Are you in gonna use the dates?

I used dates;

Perhaps too sparingly

I “borrowed” them from DIL. Perhaps I should add more, but I didn’t want to use them all. I have just about every other dried fruit I could imagine.m, or at least cherries, yellow and dark grapes, apricots, and I don’t know what else.

4 Likes

I was at the natural foods store this morning and totally forgot to get more dates. I’m crushed!

I’d used parm reggiano (as you did), grana padano or romano in place of ricotta salata.

1 Like

I took to salad “late” in life, lol.

My favorite of all is a simple fennel salad: thinly shaved, a simple lemon (or other citrus) and olive oil dressing, orange segments, and shaved parmesan. Arugula optional.

A close second would be fattoush and panzanella, ie stale bread salad. Summery versions with tomatoes are wonderful, but a warm fall version with roasted butternut squash might be even better. Red wine vinegar, balsamic, or pomegranate molasses all give different twists.

A schmaltzy bread salad with roast chicken is hard to beat (and even harder to get to the serving dish intact).

A fresh lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan dressing is good on anything fresh and green — two memorable versions are a pea, snow pea, and snow pea leaf mix, and a pea, asparagus, and arugula one.

Some restaurant favorites that translate well at home:

6 Likes

I’m fond of this, too, though mine usually includes shaved red onion and toasted walnuts, and when they’re in season, I use tangerine/mandarin sections. It makes a crunchy and refreshing dish, especially in winter.

3 Likes

Cara Caras are great in this but not available for very long

Pomelo is fabulous in salads too

2 Likes

Anyone have a salad recipe with farro or wheatberries? I just made a large batch for a dish in Six Seasons which has several delicious celery and other salad recipes.

I haven’t tried these but plan to.

A variation

4 Likes