Salads

There’s a recipe in Ottolenghi: The Cookbook for wheatberry salad with mushrooms and celery, that’s quite simple, but more than the sum of its parts. It starts with 200g uncooked wheatberries, to give a sense of the yield. (Everything’s in metric because it’s a British edition.) Here are the imgredients other than the cooked wheatberries:

3 tbsp brown sugar
50ml sherry vinegar
2–3 small shallots, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
50ml olive oil
40g picked parsley leaves
10g picked tarragon leaves

At least an hour ahead of serving, whisk the brown sugar and vinegar until the sugar dissolves and add the shallot and celery. To assemble, mix in the wheatberries and everything else, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

3 Likes

Thank you @CaitlinM !

I found some I liked the sound of here on HO

@Ttrockwood shared this one in 2017

@truman shared this in 2022

And @ottawaoperadiva shared this one in

3 Likes

“Mostly Olive Salad With Some Farro” - well, the title is a winner to me!

4 Likes

That cauliflower and farro salad is a favourite. I make it most often during CSA season when I get cauliflowers in my basket.

I have also used farro in a goat cheese, roasted beet and farro salad.

1 Like

This isn’t a salad, but a pudding calling for wheatberries and dried fruit.

I figure if Midwest salads and various marshmallow whip salads are made of pudding, pudding made of wheatberries and dried fruit might also be a salad.

2 Likes

Here’s my “Mostly Olive Salad, With Some Farro”

Tasty, but I might like a little more dressing. When first mixed it ate a little dry. It was my first time making farro (toasted first with garlic and chili flake in olive oil), and maybe I should have cooked it longer than 20 minutes.

8 Likes

Hahahahahaha

Hey, sounds logical to me :joy::rofl:

My cousin got married in Saskatchewan the same day as Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.

This was a popular salad at the reception. I have been to at least 2 dozens Prairie weddings but I never noticed the wheatberry salad being a crowd favourite before. :joy: Wheatberries, Cool Whip, Vanilla Pudding, Cream Cheese, Canned Pineapple and lemon juice.

1 Like

Hmmm. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh my god.

1 Like

This one has a bit of arugula from the garden, cucumber , and fennel, in addition to pearled farro, toasted pecans, celery, dried apricots, and Israeli feta.

6 Likes

My mom regularly made chopped salads that looked a lot like yours, except she chopped the ingredients much finer.

Yours looks very tasty!

2 Likes

Dressing?

This looks scrumptious. I don’t believe I’ve ever made a Waldorf myself. Might hafta remedy soon…

1 Like

Mostly lemon juice and olive oil, IIRC.

1 Like

Another one of the shaved celery-date-nut- cheese salads. As with last time, I used pecans instead of hazelnuts and Bellavitano in place of the elusive ricotta salata.

So good.

5 Likes

I really oughta make this again very soon. I have a bunch of celery in the fridge, still plenty of ricotta salata, and an abundance of dates and hazelnuts.

So happy I inspired so many to make this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s another Italian chopped salad

It is from Sunset, and is included here

1 Like

This is the “butternut squash salad with farro and pepitas”, sort of

9 Likes

Three. My version of Greek Village salad

Caesar salad

And Tabbouleh (I use scissors on the parsley)

7 Likes