Salads

My second fav is a Cobb salad, and third is an Italian chopped salad with romaine, iceberg, parsley, cappicola, salami, mortadella, and provolone with a red wine vinaigrette with sliced pepperoncini and olives.

3 Likes

Making a Waldorf tonight, with grapes, apples, dried cherries and candied pecans

6 Likes

My go to salad is beets (root), shallots, and butterhead lettuce (usually) with a dijon/red wine vinegar vinaigrette topped with fresh goat cheese. Now that we are heading into spring the beets will be swapped out for asparagus. Once the asparagus is gone Iā€™ll start tomato and tomato cucumber salads and panzanellas, then back to beetsā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m a terrible salad maker. I love salads, but I donā€™t feel like putting in work for salads at home. When Iā€™ve followed a recipe because Iā€™m craving something, they turn out fine but I feel like a lot of the cooking and chopping should yield more than just a salad when Iā€™m done.

I stick to simple salads at home and most common I will mix spring mix lettuces, sliced pear, some gorgonzola and cranberries. The dressing is a vinaigrette I have on hand or can make. If I have made a batch of the carrot ginger dressing that you often find in Japanese restaurants (donā€™t judge me), Iā€™m happy with just greens and tomatoes.

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with this. Same here.

1 Like

Was looking at Green Goddess Potato Salads tonight, making something based on this one

https://new.milk.org/Discover-Dairy/Recipes/Green-goddess-potato-salad-with-smoked-mackerel

Does a salad have to have vegetables?

If not, my favorite salad is a mix of Chinese black ear fungus, lily bulbs, roasted shiitake mushrooms (sliced) and Goji berries, with some toasted pine nuts.

All tossed and marinated a dressing of soy sauce, white wine vinegar, diced garlic, minced ginger, white pepper and a healthy squeeze of lime. And a bit of dissolved rock sugar to taste. Then garnish with chopped Thousand Year Old Eggs.

Best refrigerated overnight, or if you must, eat immediately. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I make these frequently:
ā€¢ A Waldorf variation with Honeycrisp, toasted walnuts, chopped celery, seedless red grape halves and a little mayo or plain yogurt
ā€¢ A shredded yellow beet, apple, coconut and toasted pecan salad with a touch of sesame oil
ā€¢ Canlisā€™ Caesar salad from Canlisā€™ restraurant c. 1968 or one with Caprialā€™s recipe for dressing
ā€¢ A Jicama and bell pepper slaw,
ā€¢ My Godmotherā€™s macaroni salad: salad macaroni mixed with butter and shredded yellow onion after cooking and draining while hot, then chopped red pepper, sliced black olives, chopped celery and mayo mixed in after cooling
ā€¢ A simple coleslaw with mixed color cabbages, grated carrots, diced red onion, red wine vinegar and a bit of mayo and poppy seed for extra crunch
ā€¢ Momā€™s potato salad (she marinated the cooked new potatoes in Del Monteā€™s dill pickle brine then sliced them, then added a ā€˜tartar sauceā€™ concoction of mayo, diced dill pickle, diced white onion and lots of chopped fresh parsley. Iā€™ve added thinly sliced carrot and whole grain mustard to the mix.
ā€¢ ā€˜Eveā€™s Saladā€™: crispy chow mein noodles atop a bed of greens, topped with freshly shelled green peas and a drizzle of ranch style dressing. From a unique little restaurant of yore in Greenville, Ca.
ā€¢ the usual green salad: ice berg, romaine, spinach, tomatoes, celery, carrots, sometimes artichoke hearts, sunflower seeds with my lemon viniagrette
ā€¢ My take on a Thai Peanut Shrimp (or chicken) salad: cabbages, greens, tomato, carrot, shrimp marinated in the Thai peanut dressing then grilled, sliced almonds and some other stuff thrown in there.

We do consume a lot of salads in this house.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been making a lot of waldorfs lately. Sometimes I add toasted pecans , dried cherries, toasted almonds , occasionally curry powder.

Iā€™ve made this variation a couple times.

I like this salad. I make it without the chicken. Sometimes use peaches or nectarines during the summer, instead of mangos. Sometimes I substitute arugula for the spinach. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spinach-salad-with-grilled-chicken-mango-and-raspberries-szwarc-12641

1 Like

I love a Caesarā€¦ can you share details on Canlisā€™ version?

A ā€œchopped saladā€.

I thought there was a Serious Eats link but I couldnā€™t find it.

But hereā€™s one

When will this rain stop? Itā€™s sort of like it was here in California 20 or 30 years ago but itā€™s skeeving me out!

3 Likes

They called this their ā€˜Special Saladā€™ with ā€œno apologies to Caesarā€.

In a large wooden bowl pour 2 T. of good imported olive oil, sprinkle with salt and rub generously with a large clove of garlic. Remove garlic and place in the bottom of the bowl 2 peeled tomatoes cut into eighths and add 2 heads of Romaine lettuce cut into strips. You may add other vegetables, just be sure the heaviest are at the bottom of the bowl.
To make the dressing, mix 3 oz. olive oil, the juice of 2 lemons, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh mint, 1/4 tsp. oregano, then add 1 coddled egg and whip vigorously.
When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad. Toss generously.
Add condiments last, they can be: 1/4 c. chopped green onions, 1/2 c. freshly grated Romano cheese, 1 # freshly rendered finely chopped bacon, 1 cup croutons.

We had this in Honolulu in 1968. I remember it very well. They made a real show with the presentation. I was a wide-eyed pre-teen having experienced quite a number of delicious foods in my youth.
Enjoy!

5 Likes

Moved to proper threadā€¦

I was replying to you. What was the ā€˜proper threadā€™?

I accidentally posted WFD to your reply on salad, thinking it was a follow up to my WFD salad posted last night. Thus I moved my post to the proper thread.

My badā€¦

:slight_smile:

Today I made a chopped salad from a NYT recipe called ā€œChopped Salad With Chickpeas, Feta and Avocado
By Lidey Heuckā€

Iā€™m using ā€œNanciā€™sā€ chickpeas, and keeping the chickpeas in the fridge with some of the dressing, some halved cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, crumbled feta, green onion, bits of leftover Costco Stravecchio parmesan and some of the herbs, and will add the Romaine, more herbs, and perhaps the croutons later, if ever. We love it already.

9 Likes
1 Like

I canā€™t believe I havenā€™t posted my newest salad obsession here yet. It was one of the best plates at a recent meal out in Philly: shaved celery, toasted hazelnut, chopped dates, and ricotta salata.

It was so much more than the sum of all of its parts, and I already have the celery, dates, and ricotta salata - finding good quality hazelnuts is proving to be more difficult, but I might just replace them with chopped toasted pistachios.

8 Likes

This looks like something I could eat in unlimited quantity. Thanks for the pointer.

2 Likes

Update: Iā€™m eating this tonight! I have dates and celery and a brand new mandoline to shave it on. I just put some pecans to toast, and Iā€™ll find some acceptable cheese.

2 Likes