What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Likely in this thread, but probably the December edition. It’s shaved celery, chopped dates, toasted hazelnuts, and shaved ricotta salata - a salad we had in Philly at a fancy place, and we loved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I made that after you posted it, except with pecans and Bellavitano cheese because I couldn’t find ricotta salata. Delish.

2 Likes

Isn’t it? I love celery (raw in particular), but I would’ve never dreamed of combining these random ingredients… it’s so much more than the sum of its parts. I may have to make it again tonight, especially now that @Sasha shared her genius mandolin hack :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for posting the recipe and I’ve bookmarked it. It looks like a wonderful sweet-tart-garlic bomb. Do you use the gochujang paste (vs. sauce) as stressed in the recipe?

I haven’t seen the paste in my local groceries and I’m wondering if (allowing for their reasons why paste vs. sauce), I could get away with using a bit of an excess of the sauce, but then back off a bit on the honey and vinegar.

OR, I could always put on my Big Boy Pants and make a trek down to where the Korean grocery is. I’m sure they’ve got several other items that I “need”. The kids and I would play a game where we each got to grab one thing we knew nothing about, then figure out what it was and how to use it when we got back home. My wife would ask why we got them and we’d say in concert, “We needed them!”.

5 Likes

One of my favorite recipes from Six Seasons is his celery, date, and almond salad with shaved Parm. Joshua McFadden loves celery, so there’s a lot of recipes with it heavily featured, and they’re all great.

2 Likes

I have Six Seasons (and celery, dates, parm, and a variety of nuts, myself included)!

I remember going through a celery salad phase, and may have tried that recipe! Thanks for the reminder.

Here’s the one from @linguafood , in a saladas thread I am also happy to see.

More deets in the same thread from the last time I asked them.

Here’s one with celery, dates, and parm from Food and Wine I previously linked, but there’s a paywall.

4 Likes

Yorvarlakia, Greek lamb and rice meatballs simmered in chicken stock with avgolemono. A favorite comfort food.

20 Likes

Yeah, this is the one from Six Seasons. Also great is the cucumber and celery salad with herbs from it. I like it best with dried cranberries or cherries, but apricots are good, too.
And the chicken salad with braised celery and radicchio is delicious.

1 Like

Looks great

Yeah I used gochujang paste, it comes in a red plastic tub.

1 Like

It was always a treat when Mom made it. I shied away from making it myself for a long time, because it seemed to take Mom forever to make the avgolemono. I guess it did take time, for the big family-sized batch, but for me it takes about a minute to squeeze the lemon and whip it up with the immersion blender. I make it nearly every week.

6 Likes

Sausage grillers
Roasted parsnips
Microwaved frozen peas

What is the DEAL with frozen peas - I cannot microwave them enough to cook them through, EVER. They kind of stay too hard. I refuse to cook them in the plastic “steamer” bags they come in (objection, your honor) but I’ve tried everything to cook them through to no avail: lots of water, no water, lots of salt in the water, no salt, a LONG TIME cooking in the microwave, covering them, not covering them… what gives?!

4 Likes

Hmm. Usually when I know I’ll have peas for dinner I’ll pour however much I want (usually not the entire bag) into a bowl and let them thaw. Then I sauté finely diced shallot in butter, add a splash of white wine, add the peas, s&p and maybe fresh parsley or a touch of mint. Often more butter. I have no such issues.

4 Likes

We’re making American Chop Suey (aka Johnny Marzetti or Goulash) with elbow macaroni. Also had viable ingredients for a tossed green salad and an unopened jar of refrigerated ranch dressing. Going old school…

8 Likes

Still very cold and windy here in Tokushima (though no snow flurries like the day before) and it was hard to warm up with just the heater on. So I made a mishmosh of an egg drop soup made with a chicken and vegetable consommé, vegetables (mostly daikon, carrots and blanched sugar snap peas) and store bought “shuǐ jiǎozi”, a version of potsticker/gyoza which are boiled, rather than fried. I’d never had them in the states, but often buy them when I can find them here in Japan. The skins seem thicker than regular gyoza and MUCH thicker than wonton.

After eating two bowlfuls. I finally felt warm inside AND outside my body.

21 Likes

Chicken, broccoli, small ziti in a garlic white sauce. Fam Favorite! Not much left over for lunch :unamused:
Not pics either, we were too busy hoovering!

11 Likes

Pan fried salmon with sauteed broccoli and pickled veg for dinner.

17 Likes

Me neither, I also thaw. If I want just peas as a side dish I drop into boiling salted water to heat through. I don’t want mushy peas.

8 Likes

Chuck eye roast. No clue.

I had a small one due to an Instacart snafu. Never tried one. Information online was supremely unhelpful. I’ve always assumed that chuck became stew or pot roast. So I had a 1.5 lb piece, figured I’d roast it to medium rare, cut it open to see what was going on/sample it, and then just use the experiment for stew.

No artful plating here, just cut in half at medium-rare. The other sorta one half is on my plate. :joy: Yeah, that’s the probe. :

So I sampled. Delish ! Flavorful! (unexpected!) Tender! (extremely unexpected!). Does it present well? Obviously not … too many segments. Was it good-enough-for me roast beef? Oh yes, yes it was …

22 Likes

Some peas are just starchy and bad. Some brands are much better for peas than others.

5 Likes