Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

Every Greek knows the concept of pizza and the word pizza comes from the Greek pita.
Romans always copying the Classical Greeks :rofl:
(Turkish pide is also the bomb)

Letā€™s also remember pizza existed before Garibaldi created what is now Italy.

The nationalist approach to Culinaria is so shallow.

2 Likes

Visit Philadelphia sometime (maybe after the pandemic restrictions :crazy_face: High end and artisinal pizzas are booming here. Yes, they can be pricey, but they are definitely pizzas and not flatbreads. Even some top fine-dining chefs (i.e., Vetri) and restauranteurs (i.e., Starr) are in the game along with more niche producers like those at Nomad and Bedia, I suspect theyā€™ll survive the pandemic as they easily converted to take out and/or delivery.

3 Likes

I eat frozen pizza. Itā€™s cheap, hot, low effort comfort food. I usually stick to basic thin crust pepperoni.

Of course the certified VPN wood fired pizzeria up the road is way better but thatā€™s not always in the budget.

5 Likes

Interesting article but he & I part ways here: ā€œbut I want to make pizzas I love, pizza thatā€™s crispy and shareable and so hot it can burn the roof of your mouthā€

Well, any pizza straight outta the oven will burn the roof of your mouth and no, I donā€™t bite into it when itā€™s so hot it can burn the roof of your mouth. Cheese, because of the fat, is the most dangerous food to eat, burn-wise.

And what kind of pizza isnā€™t shareable?

1 Like

No. Iā€™m saying that certain foods have such an association with a nationality that it wonā€™t feel the same when they move past that origin point. Pizza to me is exactly that.

Thereā€™s a Cambodian guy in Queens who makes bagels. Theyā€™re probably great. But they have no association to the Polish Jews who brought it to the US. Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re great bagels. But they arenā€™t Polish Jewish bagels.

About music, thatā€™s a whole different discussion for a different board, but thereā€™s a huge difference between actual folk music and a classical composer borrowing folk themes.

Maybe you, but out here in America that idea is (thankfully) endangered, if not yet extinct. How else would we get Korean tacos and Mexican pizza, to name just two now all american dishes?

2 Likes

Why call them Korean tacos and Mexican pizza?

And as for saying that my ideas are ā€œthankfully endangered.ā€ I was simply standing up for a unique cultureā€™s right not to be assimilated and pointing out that when an ethnic group does assimilate, something gets lost.

I was not saying that itā€™s wrong for other people to borrow ideas, as my example of the Arabic pizza parlor showed. And Iā€™m not against assimilation. But thereā€™s two sides to assimilation.

Because those are hybrid dishes born of the intersection of cultures that make the US unique.
I appreciate tradition but look forward to new cuisines being born every day here.
Perhaps this is a West Coast bias on my part, to look forward rather than the past.

3 Likes

Soā€¦ the boy bagels have to get a little corner cut off on the eighth day, and none of them eat pork? And no they can not haz cheezburger? :slight_smile:

Some bagels ate pork at my house - they were maybe too polite to complain.

1 Like

Or because they liked eating pork.

2 Likes

It could be we just donā€™t understand the point we are trying to make with one another.

Is he trying to bake Polish Jewish bagels? Do you go somewhere else for that type of bagel? Should all bagels be made the same way? Can they adapt?

I work in the music industry 40 plus years, so my analogy is rooted in knowing that musicians come from all walks of life, sharing music styles with one another whether they were born in that country of origin or not. The recipe is learning how. As for off topic, thankfully HO leaves room for analogyā€¦which thrives on thousands of threads already.

But I am more than happy to stop contributing to this thread. I have learned a lot already.
ā€™

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had JABWAH bagels and theyā€™re no good. (Just A Bun With A Hole). Essentially yes, all bagels are made the same way, or they stop being bagels. Itā€™s not that itā€™s so difficult, itā€™s just that if you donā€™t realize youā€™ll need to learn how, then youā€™re sure to get it wrong.

I disagree.

Itā€™s similar to BBQ using boiled chicken.

Boiled chicken is good.

Seems to me youā€™re making my point for me. Itā€™s a hybrid, not the original. And yes, I realize that Italian-American is as American as it is Italian. I dunno what I wrote that offended you - Iā€™m all in favor of letting a thousand flowers bloom. Iā€™m simply saying what I think is a fact: when no more Italian-Americans want to open a local pizza parlor, weā€™ll have lost something.

JMO.

Iā€™m lost.

Musically, you can argue that all music is music, but you canā€™t argue that all music is 12-bar blues. Bagels are as specific (or more) than 12-bar blues is.

Lol, I didnā€™t say anything to that effect.

1 Like

Nothing offended me; my upbringing in the middle of the country and situation now bear no resemblance to yours, Iā€™d imagine.
Pizza to me means school lunch and one of the original Pizza Huts so my entire experience is a hybrid I suppose.

3 Likes

I know.

Bagel is a method of making a kind of bread. If you donā€™t do that method, it isnā€™t a bagel anymore. Changing the method really does suddenly mean youā€™re making a different thing.

Different topic but same idea: You think youā€™re saying it should be possible to build a bike from leftover Harley parts, but thatā€™s not what youā€™re saying. Youā€™re actually saying it should be possible to build a Yamaha from leftover Harley parts.