Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com/thread/3160/mountains-winnipeg

1 Like

I live in Houston and while not a pizza mecca there is good pizza within a 20-30 drive from my place in all directions.

The first thing most do is dump “parm” on them probably not approaching green can quality and it’s been sitting on the table for who knows how long.

Edit to ad I don’t eat the green can stuff or the other.

I especially prefer fresh mozzarella for sauceless pizza. The moisture creates a sort of sauce for you.

My secret sauce recipe . One small can of Cento crushed tomatoes. Open and place in a bowl . Take one garlic clove . Puree with your knife . Add to the tomatoes . Add salt. I go by feel. 3 /4
To 1 tbsp. Tbsp of olive oil. Let sit 1 hour on counter top . Ready for use on your pizza .

1 Like

When you use a “raw” sauce like this, do you ever feel like sometimes parts of the sauce are left uncooked. I love the time savings, but I apply raw sauce very sparingly because it sometimes tastes uncooked. I wonder if it’s just in my head.

Speaking of Cento, I also use their crushed tomatoes. Someone here or on CH recommended adding pureed anchovies. I didn’t like it at first, but when I switched from Cento anchovies to another brand, I was happy with the results.

I make it so simple. I like the freshness adding
2 tbsp to the pizza

1 Like

Tomato sauce (without meat obviously) tasting uncooked? I wouldn’t mind at all.

Yep me too - is the company still around?

1 Like

If you come across Agostino Recca anchovies grab them.

2 Likes

treetavernpizza.com appears to be working - I know nothing about them though

2 Likes

Squares? SQUARES? Bah.

Sometimes I see them sold through Acme.

1 Like

Thanks for the fun article! I enjoyed reading about “lesser known” regional pizza variations in the US, including the Greek pizza and bar pizza found in Massachusetts. (Actually those two are well-known if you live here.)

I was surprised to learn that a style called Ohio Valley pizza is actually a thing! Its main distinctive feature is cold cheese placed on top of the pie after baking. I thought this quirk was particular to just one pizza shop (Beto’s) in the Pittsburgh area. I need melted cheese, so that variation isn’t for me.

Another hyperlocal variation around here—not in the article—from Northern Massachusetts is “beach pizza.” I have heard the name comes from people buying the pies while driving out to a beach day.

Beach pizza features bready, square slices and a sweeter-than-usual tomato sauce. This sweet-style sauce is found at local joints all around the Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts and not only on beach pizza. The sweetness is an acquired taste that’s grown on me over the years. I don’t want it all the time, but as soon as the familiar sweetness hits my palate I know exactly where I am.

Wondrous that so many variations on a few basic ingredients can exist. I think it’s great, even if not all the styles are for me and none are like a classic Neopolitan pizza.

6 Likes

I need to thank you for this tip. Simple, quick, and it lets me have the exact amount of sauce I require, on demand.

1 Like

http://treetavernpizza.com/storelocations.html

The site shows these stores for purchasing Tree Tavern.

1 Like

No school pizza for you!

2 Likes

Ah, Tree Tavern… memories.

But as to the future - what’s in store for the humble pizza parlor? We don’t have large #s of Italian immigrants anymore. Those who do immigrate are usually educated professionals who are hardly likely to open up a pizzeria.

Seems to me the future of pizza is to migrate to the high end specialty sector of restaurants or to the low-end. The latter are probably not even owned by Italian-Americans, and they sure aren’t staffed by them. Every pizza parlor worker I see is Hispanic.

There was an Arab-owned pizza parlor on E. 86th Street some years back. They added sesame seeds to the rim of the crust, which I thought ws an awesome, tasty addition - but the public balked, and they stopped. :persevere:

1 Like

I would think more diverse ethnicity of ownership and staff as you noted.

As is often the case I wonder how or if I represent broad societal trends. I can’t remember the last time I went out for pizza. For me it is entirely a take-out or delivery food, punctuated by homemade.

I’m not sure about high-end specialty as a growth sector. Calling a pizza “flatbread” and doubling the price isn’t attractive to me, but perhaps I am an outlier.

Here in Annapolis there is only one pizza place that makes anything I would call pizza: Rocco’s Pizzeria on Bay Ridge Rd.

Are you suggesting that you need Italian genes flowing through your veins to throw down an authentic parlor pizza pie? That this incredible skill can’t be learned? Perfected if you are willing to put in the time? A lousy pizza will turn customers away regardless of genetic makeup. If you stray too far from what pizza is…well, we can say that about many cuisines that stray too far outside the comfort of authentic…again, no matter who is preparing it.

IMO, High end places can struggle harder to stay afloat sourcing the very best, unique ingredients counting on customers loyalty; able to consistently pay high end prices for pizza while mom pop joints/bars cobble together their recipes inherited by generation, scribbled recipes left to new owners and customer muscle memory using ingredients at a lower price. Pizza, is just one example.

This idea makes my head shake. In the music industry, this thinking would have killed it.

3 Likes