Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

No. Just your contention that boiled chicken is good.
Boiled chicken is NEVER good.
That’s all. :wink:

2 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen,
bbqboy hates chicken soup.
I rest my case.

:wink:

What hydration level do people use for their pizza dough? A number of recipes I looked up say 65%, but the dough I made this week didn’t keep its form when stretched out. I use 75% for sandwich bread and get a good rise from it.

1 Like

Frozen Red Baron pizza is the best of the worst . Where I was getting my pizza dough
The pandemic killed the bakery. Now I have to re tool. Crap .

4 Likes

Your in-house evidence that 65% didn’t work well is a good enough reason to try 70 or 75.

I typically do 67-68% hydration for pizza dough. I use all purpose flour but add a bit of extra gluten (so overall gluten content is closer to what you would expect from bread flour). When you say your dough didn’t keep its shape, do you mean it snapped back, or did it relax and spread out too much on its own? At 65% with good gluten development I would expect some snap back, but if you let it rest for a few minutes after the initial stretch and shape it again, that is usually enough to let the gluten relax.

1 Like

The issue here is that it has little to do with recipes followed and techniques employed and all to do with a perspective that only people from that nationality or ethnic group are able to follow those recipes or employ those techniques correctly.

The first is a concern to be discussed (what in recipes and techniques make something a food and where are the limits of deviation-- I mean, with bagels there are NYC bagels, Montreal bagels, and then the beigels that appear in various parts of Europe and aren’t always what one would expect). The latter is some ethno-essentialist nonsense. (Or so I’d call it).

Although if for thinking about what happens as continued immigration from the ‘old country’ challenges another nation’s idea of what that food is? That’s an interesting topic. And a varied one in light of AOC and UN intangible cultural heritage, etc.

3 Likes

I meant that it snaps back. I’ll try with a little more hydration next time.

2 Likes

The West Coast started putting pineapple and Canadian bacon on pizza. Perfectly innocent pizza. That just isn’t right. grin

It’s chicken stock.

I’m an American with English, German, and Ukrainian (White Russian) heritage. I’m not going to stop making Tibetan yogurt and momos or Thai food or Mexican food. I’m certainly not going to stop making Italian food. My wife’s completely Italian family loves my lasagna.

1 Like

I learned the difference between boiling and simmering when I was a kid.
My belief extends to all meat deserving a better fate than boiling.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Point taken. One I’ve made myself in the past.

1 Like

The non bbq regions of the country that boil ribs and then stick them in the oven, put sauce on them and call them bbq’ed ribs are a special example. :wink:

2 Likes

@Hunterwali and then there are simit. Which is right up there with Montreal bagels.

2 Likes

I think I agree with you. On matters barbecue I will defer to you and my brother in law. I don’t have the infrastructure to participate.

1 Like

“and all to do with a perspective that only people from that nationality or ethnic group are able to follow those recipes”

No, it has nothing to do with that, and I’m sorry I brought up the issue. This is not a fit subject for the internet. I won’t be commenting further on the issue.

1 Like

That aspect - which some people do emphasize - is nonsense of course. There can be a minor element of truth involved in it, to the extent that (with the bagel example) an old baker whose roots are Jewish and European has a better chance of knowing from experience the correct basic procedure for making bagels than does an old baker whose roots have nothing to do with Europe or Judaism.

If you show a finished bagel to an experienced baker who’s never heard of bagels, and tell them “These are very popular, if you copy it we can make a lot of money selling them”, chances are they won’t guess correctly how it was done.

In the obvious sense of “If you want to make a certain recipe, you may need someone knowledgeable to show you how it’s done”, it does make sense to look for experts in a place where you have a better chance of finding experts. BUT - for example, if a Chinese baker does find a bagel expert to teach her how to make bagels, and she learns how and becomes good at it, she is now a bagel expert too and can teach others how to make them.

If anyone has bagels or tortillas or any other food “in their blood”, then they need to see a doctor. :slight_smile:

If you want to make a recipe, learn from someone who actually knows how. But it’s not because of where their parents came from or their religion - it’s because they learned how it’s done.

And along with the offensive implication that a person needs a certain heritage or origin to make a certain food, there’s an equally offensive implication from the other direction, that actually knowing how to make something before you claim to be making it is an unnecessary frill. Both of those mistakes happen far too often.

1 Like

I disagree. Any skill needs to be learned and has nothing to do with ethnicity.

As an example I give you the runs on frozen dinners, junk food, and prepared foods during the early days of the pandemic. Clearly, given what sold out and what did not, the average American can’t make the link between ground beef and a hamburger.

I don’t know if Americans are worse than those in other countries. Can the average person in the UK make chicken tikka masala from the base ingredients? What proportion of residents of Italy can make carbonara? Russians and borscht? Germans and sauerbraten?

A good cook can often look things up but still need to learn.

Bagels are easy but counterintuitive. I know how because I learned. Being born in New York with partial Jewish heritage has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

So timely…including a sold out Everything Bagel ice cream.!

2 Likes

I’ve had something called Tomato Pie a couple times in Philly. Would you consider that pizza?

3 Likes
2 Likes