Nice / Niçoise / Nizzarda inspiration - the salad, the knock -offs, plus any other recipes connected to Nice

I make the salad occasionally, with canned tuna, or with canned salmon, or with fresh salmon.

I like the flavour combination so much that I also make pasta Niçoise, using the ingredients from the salad.

There’s also another Pasta Niçoise that looks unrelated to the salad. Niçoise pasta with basil, no tuna

Search results for Niçoise on HO

1 Like

Small world - one is on my make-this- week list since I have a bag of salad greens and some small red potatoes to use up. Modified from the “Terrific Tuna Salad” in Dinner a Day cookbook.

Terrific Tuna Dressing Salad

This maindish cold salad, from the cookbook A Dinner A Day takes 40 minutes - 1 hour to prepare, due to all the chopping/assembly. Less if you already have hard boiled eggs. Makes 6 large servings, so cut the recipe in half if only cooking for 2-4. Worth the effort!

Serve with sliced French bread (or English muffins), toped with a mixture of 2 T. melted butter, 1 T. fresh parsley, 1/2 t. dried rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon onion power. & warmed.

Terrific Tuna Dressing Salad or Salad Nicoise

2 eggs (I make one per person)
12 oz. canned solid white tuna (1 large can, or 2 small)
(optional) 1 can (2 oz) flat anchovy fillets
1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (when chopped)
2 Tablespoons capers
1/3 Cup olive oil (regular or light)
1/4 Cup white wine vinegar
seasoning to taste
9 oz. frozen green beans
1 medium head lettuce (or 1 bag of Caesar-salad lettuce mix)
(optional) 1 small red onion – I omit
1 medium red bell pepper
1 small bunch radishes
1/2 pound fresh tomatoes (or 1 can, drained, diced “choice cut” tomatoes)
2 – 3 small (“B” size) potatoes, peeled and cooked in microwave (I added these)

Cover the eggs with water in a small saucepan & bring to a boil. Hard-cook the eggs - 10-12 minutes. When cooked, drain and place in freezer for 10 minutes to cool.
While eggs are cooking, microwave the green beans 7 minutes, then put in refrigerator to chill. (or cook in small amount of water on stovetop according to package directions & then chill)
Drain & flake the tuna. Chopped the anchovies. Peel & mince the garlic. Chop the parsley.
In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, anchovies, garlic, parsley, capers, olive oil & vinegar. Season to taste, and let stand 15 minutes.
(eggs & green beans should be done about now – drain & place in freezer & fridge to cool)
Wash, dry & shred the lettuce. Peel & thinly slice the red onion. Seed & slice the red bell pepper. Trim & slice the radishes. Wash & chop the tomatoes. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. - I lay them out on each dinner plate.
Remove shells from cooled hard-cooked eggs, and slice the eggs.
Toss the cooled green beans and one sliced egg with the salad. (I lay them on each dinner plate) Top with the tuna mixture and toss lightly. (We each “toss” our own plate) Garnish the salad with the second sliced egg.

2 Likes
1 Like