Mac and Cheese

Apparently the processes are slightly different, and sweetened condensed milk caught on before (unsweetened) evaporated milk did. Who knew?

3 Likes

Called an au gratin. A great dish. I have yet to encounter a vegetable I cannot make delicious for the pickiest eater with one of these.

4 Likes

What doesn’t taste good in a white sauce and baked in cheese…

3 Likes

My absolutely non-vegetarian son ate a gratin of chard and beets.

5 Likes

This has been my favourite recipe for tuna casserole except I switch out the bread crumbs for Corn Flakes Cereal.

3 Likes

Who would willingly put frozen green beans in a tuna casserole?
That’s just silly and probably a crime too.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love it because it is unusual and unique just like me so it fits my personality.
:blush:

3 Likes

I think it becomes green bean casserole as soon as you add the frozen green beans.

4 Likes

seems to be a ‘usual’ approach - interesting seasoning, etc.
I’d go with some lima beans . . . why not?
oh, and tuna in oil; don’t do tuna in water - lacks the taste kick from my childhood.

4 Likes

@ shrinkrap

I used to make that kind on occasion, but more often with eggs and evaporated milk.

Cook’s Illustrated old recipe for stovetop mac and cheese is just that: eggs and evaporated milk, and no roux or baking time. I love this recipe for a quick version similar to out-of-the-box mac and cheese.

Recipe is paraphrased here (although personally I skip the bit about adding bread crumbs).

4 Likes

I remember that one! I might even still have that old magazine! Apparently based on John Thorne’s.

1 Like

Here’s my tuna casserole featuring Annie’s Shells & Aged Cheddar. Added parm regg
on top.

7 Likes

The few times I make Mac N Cheese, I prefer to use non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of butter/roux/milk/half and half/cream etc.

2 Likes

I’ll try it some time. Tonight I used 1% (more milk than the package called for) and made a bit of a roux.

I sure can! The boxes were bigger, too.

We have visited the Beecher Homemade Cheese restaurant down by NYU many times–a big favorite!

2 Likes

I need to try this place!

Our fave recipe these days is this serious eats recipe that has just three ingredients and makes a relatively small portion without having to boil the pasta in a separate pot. My daughter is wild for it. It evokes the boxed stuff but is much simpler and i can use good quality cheese. The evaporated milk works great every time.

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to test this recipe - thanks for the reco.

1 Like

I just tried this recipe/method a couple of weeks ago. My own observations - ymmv - is use less cheese than he says, and don’t use one that is too strongly flavored. We used some coastal cheddar and it was overpowering, even though it is our favorite for grilled cheese…

4 Likes