Mac and Cheese

What’s the deal with this stuff? I see it in a lot of baking recipes (including sweetened), but it is canned, and contains stuff like carrageenan and dipotassium phosphate (and maybe other stuff), and just kinda turns me off.

Do you use it just to save time instead of cooking down fresh ingredients?

I am not a fan and have tried it only once or twice ages ago. I recall it being slightly thicker and sweeter than fresh milk, although nowhere nearly as thick as sweetened condensed milk. I hope someone with more of an Alton Brown approach will explain it.

I use canned milk year-round. It’s a prairie staple.

I use canned 2 % evaporated milk in anything I’d use regular 1 or 2 % milk, including Mac & Cheese.

With regard to macaroni and cheese, it’s just the way my family has always made it. I do also keep a can of evaporated milk in the fridge for my coffee, because it lasts so much longer than half and half. I’d probably use half and half if I have some, but not because of carrageenan.

My husband, who is from Jamaica, grew up with “condensed milk”, which is what we call the stuff with sugar; he dilutes it for cold breakfast cereal, and mother in law uses it for “porridge”; essentially hominy and condensed milk. I love her to death, but I don’t eat that.

I think Cooks Illustrated says evap doesn’t curdle

1 Like

Condensed milk and condensed coconut milk is good in Vietnamese coffee. I use it in those coffees, and in some squares.

I know someone from Guyana who poured condensed milk over cornflakes- she called it a DIY Frosted Flakes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Evaporated and Condensed are the same thing, it is evaporated and then condensed (otherwise you’d have nothing). Of course there is sweetened and unsweetened offerings, but they all seem to include other ingredients that are not all that healthy.

I don’t think of them as the same, and they aren’t labeled that way. Where I’ve shopped ( NYC, DC, L.A., San Francisco Bay area), condensed milk has added sugar. A lot! It’s practically frosting! Perhaps what I call condensed milk is usually labeled “sweetened condensed milk”. I guess I just know what I’m shopping for.

Here is what ATK says about why they don’t curdle.

Why Don’t Evaporated Milk and Condensed Milk Curdle?

"We use evaporated milk in one of our macaroni and cheese recipes and sweetened condensed milk in Key lime bars because it guarantees a silky smooth texture and is impervious to curdling. The secret is the process by which the milks are made. The gentle heating of the milk (called fore-warming) helps to condition the proteins to make them more resistant to curdling. The main proteins in question here are large molecules called casein. When exposed to heat, casein molecules tend to clump together. During fore-warming, the big casein molecules are surrounded by smaller molecules of whey protein, and the whey proteins get in the way of the clumping of the casein molecules.

Also interfering with the clumping of the casein molecules are additives in the evaporated milk. Salts, in the form of disodium phosphate and/or sodium citrate, are added to improve the ability of the proteins in the mix to retain water (the release of water is another symptom of curdling). A gum called carrageenan may also be added to prevent fat separation in storage"

End Quote

I don’t claim they are “healthy”, and outside of a few tsp a month of evaporated, rarely have either anymore. Can’t say the same about bacon, and I’ll eat good pastrami as often as I can!

3 Likes

They aren’t the same thing in Canada, and I’m going to say the same rules probably apply in Montana, ND, Wisconsin, Michigan and most Midwestern States, since they cook the same kinds of recipes.

Condensed Milk in a recipe (common in church and community cookbooks) refers to Eagle Brand type sweetened milk.

Evaporated Milk in recipes refers to unsweetened canned milk. Used in community cookbook recipes for chowder.

Very different uses.

1 Like

They “are” the same as far as the milk is concerned. The liquid is evaporated, and then condensed back into a liquid. This results in most of the water being removed from the end result. Regardless of whether it is called “evaporated” or “sweetened condensed” the process (and the additives) are the same, and the “difference” is just marketing (and of course whether or not sugar is added).

1 Like

Well I sure wouldn’t recommend substituting one for the other! I think the sugar added makes a huge difference! I’m not sure I’d call that marketing, but okay. Historically, what I think they have in common is that in addition to being milk, they are shelf stable, which for folks without electricity or refrigerators, was a big deal.

Here’s another reference.

ETA One more, then I’m letting it go. This one says "evap* (as we call it in my house) is used as a liquid, and condensed milk ( husband says CON- densed) is used as a sweetener.

4 Likes

I am not sure about where/when the different terminology began, but evaporated and condensed is the exact same process. But whatever that history was, folks associate “evaporated” with unsweetened, and “condensed” with sweetened. This is why these two terms (although the same process of milk) are “marketed” differently.

1 Like

Sweetened condensed milk in ca phe sua da is loaded with psychological nutrients. It has to be healthy!

1 Like

In Canada, this dish you describe is called Tuna Casserole.

3 Likes

It is in most of the USA too.

3 Likes

The quickest Tuna Casserole I know is 1 box of Kraft Mac & Cheese, prepared as directed, with a can of drained tuna stirred in. Frozen green peas optional.

4 Likes

I grew up on Kraft Mac & Cheese, I don’t remember trying any other brand. I’ve made my own for many, many years. I do the milk version, heat milk, add Velveta (yes, Velveta for the creaminess, usually Mexican or jalapeno) and extra sharp Tillamook cheese. A little smoked paprika to up the orange color and flavor. I do not bake. I have also added canned tomatoes, which is delicious.

4 Likes

Peas aren’t optional in my house…

2 Likes

Yup… but I don’t do it as a casserole. I plate single servings in these things (dunno what they’re called):

…and bake/broil them individually. IMHO they come out better this way.

1 Like

I think individual gratin dishes.

3 Likes

I had Beecher’s frozen mac & cheese. “World’s Best”? I don’t know about that, but it was the best frozen mac & cheese I’ve ever had. It was obvious that high quality cheese was used, and Beecher’s didn’t skimp on the quantity. If someone wanted to take the time to arrange the pasta on a plate, I think it could be made to look similar to the photo on the box.

That said, even though I’m glad to have tried it, I’m not likely to buy it again due to the cost.

1 Like