Lunch 2021

Gosh, looked like the seagull was on the verge of snatching the herring away!

3 Likes

They actually do it! They have absolutely no qualms.

!WingedRat01

Such brazen winged rats. I’ve witnessed this behaviour several times myself. Tourists put bags full of food down on the sand and roll over falling asleep on the towels. Even though the bags are secure the rats know how to open them and steal all the food!

wingedRat02

4 Likes

Hah! I’ve done this. Not in the Netherlands (I had my herring on a bun), but at Russ & Daughters, near my home in Manhattan, which has a Nieuwe Haring festival every summer. I’m not the person in pictured in this article, but I could be:

2 Likes

Must be a NY thing? I’ve never seen matjes with chopped gherkins (in Netherlands or Germany) like in the article photo.

In Netherlands, eating maatjes on a bun with onions and washing it down with some horrible alcohol is meant to mask the herring taste. I like mine plain, with sour pickles to cleanse the palate. I bring my own pickles for hygiene and taste reasons. Or take the herring home asap and eat them my ways, as seen in my photos.

New herring should look like this: everything intact and to be cleaned whilst you wait. The flesh should be pink. There’s a reason why new herring are prized and expensive. The quality deteriorates so fast once gutted so I would rather not pay full price for gutted ones if I can’t eat them straight away.

I used to have a new herring cleaning video clip but deleted it last year.

3 Likes

The ones we get at Russ & Daughters are not that beautiful, but they are very good. And I’ve got a Dutch friend who needs his annual fix, so we always make it a point to have at least one “herring hour.”

1 Like

Chicken pot pie and papaya. Say that 3x’s fast!

9 Likes

Berbere chicken. (My sister made and dropped off). Surprised to discover my local fancy market sells quite good injera to go with.

8 Likes

Lucky you! Now I’m craving Ethiopian food…

3 Likes

Bucatini with tomato sauce.

9 Likes

Over the weekend - wagyu burger (misshapen, and I only took half for my bun, but so delicious).

Today - my take on Jean Georges’ shrimp and butter lettuce salad. Truffled vinaigrette, avocados, tomatoes, red butter lettuce, and topped with leftover (sous vide) shrimp. Really quite delicious for not a lot of effort other than 5 mins on the dressing.

9 Likes

Are you saying these photos are “real”? The folks in the pictures didn’t know this might happen? Wow!

One of the photos is a screenshot of this clip:

2 Likes

Tried making some cha gio (Vietnamese imperial rolls) using this recipe:

Rolled them up yesterday and fried some up today for lunch. With lettuce, mint, cilantro, rice vermicelli, and nuoc cham. As you can see I need to work on my rolling technique. Also these guys really like to stick to each other in the oil.

6 Likes

Good try.

Too much work for me. :sweat_smile: Besides, I’m rubbish at rolling anything.

1 Like

Ambitious lunch! But how did they taste?

1 Like

Well they won’t give Tu Lan any competition but I thought they were pretty good.

3 Likes

@Mr_Happy I need to be your neighbor. All my favorites. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beer batter atlantic cod with spiced fries and fresh mango. Lots of lemon and lime. Mr Pickle.

8 Likes

Turkey, Swiss, arugula, mustard, red pepper sauce, salt, pepper, oil, vinegar on Tartine baguette.

9 Likes

I’ve been checking the website of a dumpling home catering service all week waiting for them to restock before their weekly ordering cut off this weekend.

Very hungry-making and craving-inducing!

So, of course, I cooked up the last of the generic frozen potstickers for a temporary fix.

Leftover spicy wonton sauce drizzled over.

9 Likes