Lunch 2021

Hilarious!

Coinkydink! I’ve been wanting to make them and have almost all the ingredients. I need the bean sprouts and since I’m making my buddy’s recipe (Ravenous Couple) I need taro root… but it’s at the Asian grocery store and I’m trying to steer clear of grocery stores so I might skip it. Tbc…

1 Like

Oh my, the crust!
Did it come like that or did you crisp it up a little in the oven? Gorgeous crust either way.

Love the crust/char on those dumplings, too!

I don’t know about you but when I start eating dumplings it’s so hard to stop.

My lunch comes from the North Sea

Labskaus is a north German classic. Basically it has Matjes, potato-beetroot mash and fried egg. Costs about 15 to 18 euros for this plate of Labskaus at some posh restaurant in Hamburg and I don’t remember seeing salmon roe on their menu.

Some people take fish oil capsules, I prefer to eat the fish. Pumpernickel, more cooked beetroot and lots of gherkins alongside.

I have been spying on the garden birds. This time I noticed the resident blackbird sometimes stood on one leg like this whilst eating. For some reason I had an image of Jack Sparrow in my mind when I saw this.

This robin lives in my garden in the winter and autumn.
Boss of the garden looks at me as if to say “refill the peanut dish!”

He likes to watch me from here, thinking I may burst through the window any moment now and snatch him. It has been cold (-9C/15F or -12C/12F). It was only the other day when my hydrangea flower “balls” were balls of snow.

11 Likes

No that was a fresh baguette. Actually the very ends were a tad burnt, they left it in a minute too long probably, but the middle was perfect.

1 Like

I’ve been to a pizza by the slice place that had warning signs “Watch out - the gulls will steal your pizza right out of your hand”.

The animated movie that showed gulls all saying “Mine! Mine! Mine!” was spot on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember that seagull scene from Finding Nemo. :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Taking my gal for a surprise tonight but lunch was a sort of Mexicali lasagna, salsa verde style. Tasty.

12 Likes

It’s seaweed soup, but unfortunately it looks like a black mass here.

I saw a recipe for tofu with prawn roe in a Chinese cookery book but didn’t want to fry the tofu like Schnitzel so I made this version. I cooked the tofu puffs in chicken broth and topped it with prawn roe. In the recipe they use softer tofu but I had these puffs on hand.

Home-made dumplings (pork-shrimp)

Never thought I’d miss these signs so much. Photos taken on my previous trip to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

8 Likes

Perhaps not exciting. Tortellini soup with spinach and chicken sausage.

3 Likes

Stir fry leftovers. Perfect quickie :wink:

6 Likes

Today was an avocado-centric day.

6 Likes

Yakisoba with pork belly.

8 Likes

Nice pleats!

1 Like

Breakfast torta with bacon, egg, cheddar, beans, and chipotle, with refried black beans and :cucumber:.

8 Likes

Spinach, gouda and avocado omelette, buttered rosemary toast, pear sauce.

8 Likes

Thanks. The only pleat I know how to do, besides just pressing the sides together to seal.

1 Like

I always buy tinned sardines at Turkish shops and smoked sprats at Polish shops, but will grab some at a regular supermarket until I can go to the big city near me. Well, now they don’t have any. Huh? Maybe one brand if any. There used to be more. Now the shelves are full of mackerel filets and tuna, some herring but that’s about it.

Looks like the Turks and Poles get my money now. I prefer sardines from Morocco, Spain and Portugal and only the Turks sell them. Chinese shops have Thai and Filipino (1 tin of each).

When someone tells me they don’t like tinned fish

Pretty sure William does not know someone in Morocco runs a business under his name. As second in line he’s not allowed to do business, be involved in politics.

Tin without tomato sauce is Spanish sardines.

From this, last week…

To this… I can see the ground now. The shoots survived.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Shrimp po’ boy and fried pickles.

Beer

8 Likes