Lunch 2020

I like dan dan mien. Did you use Dunlop’s recipe? I just use what I have in the cupboard.

In Chengdu I noticed every cook had their own recipes. I prefer Korean or mung bean noodles but that’s only because the dried wheat or rice noodles we have here are rubbish. These fresh noodles are good in China/Asia.

Yeah I used her recipe more or less: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/mar/23/20-best-noodle-recipes-dandan-mian, with some dry Chinese noodles from the supermarket. Also added some diced shiitake mushrooms.

2 Likes

I do love dan dan noodles. I use this recipe but finish it with sesame oil.

I don’t make it that often as the missus is very sensitive to Sichuan peppercorns. So I usually cook it just for myself. Sometimes I use Quorn mince rather than real meat as the flavours are so strong it makes the stuff quite tasty. I do think you need the fat from pork mince though.

1 Like

CARBONARA DAY: Monday 6th April

Lunch … Spaghetti Carbonara …

9 Likes

I always cook more lobster than we can eat for this reason

6 Likes

We’ve been reimagining leftovers or staying simple for lunches.

Today I actually “made” lunch in the form of fattoush. 3 versions - regular (using pita chips), no cucumber subbing fennel, and gluten free adding quinoa for protein and some gf pretzels for crunch.

Yesterday I repurposed chicken kababs from the freezer into kathi rolls using tortillas. This has been a repeat hit.

10 Likes

Tried to make an egg sandwich with the cool egg in pan then bread on top of the egg technique but I forgot to flip it before adding fillings and ended up with an omelette stuffed with bread, bacon, pickles, and cheese. Also a salad.

7 Likes

Please point me toward more information about this.

2 Likes

!!! That is awesome, thanks.

1 Like

I’ve had that brand and they are indeed pretty good. A little higher end (and more expensive) than the typical instant noodles you find. I remember the laksa had a nice coconut-y flavor to the sauce/broth (probably the coconut powder add-in).

Interesting, I’ve never seen that.

Yeah the powdered coconut milk gave it a nice richness as well. There’s a powdered flavoring pack and a paste packet along with the noodles.

Tenzaru soba with tempura shrimp from Trader Joe’s from the freezer, miso soup, and a salad.

5 Likes

When time doesn’t fly one makes “ricotta”.

Wanted to have a go at making pickled aubergine like I had in Sicily. I used a vegetable peeler to make strips. Next time I will cut it thickly so no more peeler.

I’ve been experimenting with different types of milk. So far goat’s milk gives the best result. Buttermilk ricotta is firmer, better in savoury applications whereas softer ricotta can be used in both sweet(ish) and savoury. Btw, I don’t have a cheese/candy thermometer so this is done sous vide.

I chopped the Iberico meat finely then added some oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to it. Easier to spread. (Made with this meat brought back from Spain)

The glorious spring weather ends today but I’ve got this!

Photos from biking, again.

Where I get my bread, also close to where I get my asparagus. The bakery mills the grains themselves, bakes only sourdough.

A country road cutting through the farms.

Farm on left of previous photo

Narrow bike path with farms on both sides

Asparagus farm

6 Likes

Happy days are here again! My first 4 kilos.

No photo was made when we ate the first asparagus meal. Just cooked it and ate it without anything. That’s how we usually eat the very first asparagus of the season. Just want that first pure asparagus taste.

After that we eat it with everything we fancy.

The red slices are beef tartare in the shape of “sausage”. It is pasteurised, however. We don’t eat asparagus with creamy sauces, but when we do it’s SV confit egg yolks (in jar).

Biking photos continued:

First time seeing this tree with such bark…

An open barn

Completely open. The “curtains” can be lowered and shut.

Golden hour biking through the woods

Iron gate

5 Likes

Yeast dough filled with tomato paste, smoked sausage (cold cut), and pecorino.

I ate the rosemary ricotta with chickpeas and spinach

Last of biking photos:

This farm has 1 lone tree in the middle of it. They let it be.

Normally I wouldn’t be able to stop here for photos but this time the airport has shut down. This very spot was always full of parked cars and people plane-spotting, now it’s eerily empty. All the lights are turned off. These are ALS (approaching lighting system).

Directly behind the fence is the landing strip and runway. Strange not to see those intense flashing lights now.

We biked 5 hours straight! Stopping briefly only for photos.

5 Likes

Roasted sweet potato and chorizo frittata. Glad I added some water to make the mix lighter. Pretty happy with the rise. Served with roasted broccoli. It was frozen broccoli and I blasted it at 250°c but still not totally crunchy.

7 Likes

Amazing, as always.

1 Like

Rice, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and a baked tandoori style chicken leg.

8 Likes