Lunch 2020

Thanks, Shrinkie!

I had lots of egg whites after making sous vide confit yolks so I added some vegs (Brussels) and homemade rosemary ricotta to them and this was the result.

First marjoram from the garden.

One year I spent the entire month of April in southern Chile. On Easter day we were in the thermal baths and there was this bunny giving out chocolates to children. I hope next Easter everything is back to normal 'cause it’s getting quite ridiculous now!

6 Likes

I’d like to hear more about that!

Also, are you saying what looks like a frittata was made with egg whites, or egg whites added to whole eggs?

Yes, I just chuck some leftover greens, cheese and egg whites into the pan and cooked until almost set. Then put under the grill/broiler to finish the top.

To sous vide confit yolks you warm the bath to 64C. Carefully glide the yolks, one by one, into a ziplock bag (filled with enough oil to cover to yolks). Carefully lower the bag into the water bath and make sure all the air is expelled. Let simmer for 45 minutes.

You can also confit yolks in the oven, of course. Just make sure the temperature remains constant.

2 Likes

Never thought about this…I’m fascinated but also curious. Why confit just egg yolks – is this a different texture than a soft boiled or semi-runny egg yolk? Is this specifically to remove the egg white for aesthetics?

The consistency is totally different. One obvious thing is the white is not easily contained. You can SV the whole egg, yes. The result is a soft or hard boiled egg depending on the time and temperature.

SV yolks are a custard in texture and mouthfeel. I use them as a sauce for asparagus and (beef) tartare.

1 Like

Pizza for lunch! Mushrooms, red onion, and cherry tomatoes.

8 Likes

Leftover cured salmon from another meal.

Left my camera at home so I used the partner’s phone. Horrible image quality. The same phone previously was much better even though the settings are all the same.

It’s getting greener every day

Returned to our bikes after an hour walking. Hardly anyone around. I hope the measures will remain after the virus is over. I win, Olympics level, at not needing human contact for the longest time.

7 Likes

Kimchi fried rice made with Spam and mushrooms and some really old kimchi.

6 Likes

Some recent lunches:

Beef brisket pho from the freezer:

A “club” sandwich with rye, cold chicken, bacon, provolone, salad greens, and cherry tomatoes.

7 Likes

Haemul pajeon - Korean seafood pancakes using some frozen seafood.

6 Likes

Did you use any rice flour? Normal wheat flour alone makes the pancakes heavy.

Nice looking Pho also!

Also soup. Pseudo “Khao Soi” soup. Smoked tofu replaces pork mince here. What’s in the “mince”: my own chipotle paste, tamari, worcestershire sauce, palm sugar… that’s all I can remember. Oh, and enough raw garlic to make a vampire back the fck off… . Vampires back TFO when they see the Maori do the haka, with me it’s raw garlic!

Open cupboard and see what spices or seasoning I can chuck in the food is my style. But I do everything else with precision and perfection, ruthlessly.

Chicken broth with fish sauce and ginger. Pickled yellow chillies alongside. This is the original smoked tofu from another meal which I used the leftovers in this soup.

Sourdough soldiers for SV yolks and beetroot cream.

Something from my garden for a change:
First chive flowers. They all opened completely the next day.

Super macro of an unrolling fern frond

8 Likes

Speechless. You lucky duck!

1 Like

No rice flour - this used half wheat flour and half potato starch.

1 Like

Hey Presunto just wanted to thank you for your awesome photos and experiences in Baja. You brought back a lot of memories to me that I had set aside from my earlier trips going up and down the peninsula. Normally at this time we would be sitting at our favorite breakfast spot in Los barriles. Really enjoyed your enthusiasm for the Baja taco! Oh and say hi to the Partner. Stay safe stay creative and keep the fire going for the adventurer inside your soul!

1 Like

Speaking of which, I should get the photos together in one video file and upload to vimeo. I was going through the photos today and could hardly contain emotions. I told the partner, when the time comes take my ashes to Bahia Magdalena and Lauguna Ojo de Liebre (the 2 whale watching spots).

I’m already enthusiastic about returning to BCS next year. Let’s hope this nasty virus will be eradicated long before then. Normally around this time I would probably be hiking somewhere but right now I have no travel plans for the entire year.

You be safe and be healthy, too!

We will travel again.

3 Likes

Gardein meatless balls and Rao’s marinara over some rice cooker polenta.

And a simple salad of romaine lettuce and cherry tomatoes.

6 Likes

A Lebanese Malfouf salad: shredded cabbage, some of my friend’s homemade toum, olive oil, lemon juice, carrots (not authentic), and parsley (instead of mint). Very refreshing on a warm spring day.

9 Likes

Hot dogs, cooked in bacon grease with onions, spicy dill pickle, mustard, Swiss cheese and kimchi sauerkraut.

5 Likes

Club sandwich with potato chips.

8 Likes

Asparagus and potato soup. I forgot to make photo of the soup bowl this time.

I make chia pudding all the time using Jersey cow’s milk. It’s so rich, like cream. A few drops of concentrated vanilla make it even better.

Photos from last week:

Moss

One of the paths we walked

Almost invisible bench with black-lit woods. I brightened it a lot to be able to see the bench.

Reclaimed by nature.

This is the whole pile, covered in moss.

5 Likes