Lunch 2020

Ah, grilling sausage in a rain storm! Gotta love it. The squirrels and I enjoyed a pepper and sausage sandwich along with Roseann Cash potato salad, leftover grilled asparagus and carrots, the last of the pear sauce and a glass of homemade, frozen raspberry-lemonade.
Some in the photo some too shy :wink:.

5 Likes

Looks terrific, @Rooster

Plate balance is just so…

Nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice) with chicken.

9 Likes

Fried egg on top, super!

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

Wednesday Lunch at home …

9 Likes

I always eat this at weekend but lately I’ve been adding dried figs steeped in scotch to the paste. This batch has a smoky, spicy kick to it. I used the same bowl for the macadamia right after processing chipotle in it.

Once I start I can’t stop. I can eat slice after slice of bread with the same thing. Chocolate paste, cheese, pâté it doesn’t matter.

This batch has figs steeped in Aberlour Casg Annamh.

5 Likes

H’s lunch for today; there are a lot of roasted beets in there, but he put them on the bottom.

4 Likes

Scrambled eggs, rice, and instant Japanese curry (S&B medium hot). I think next time I will add some potatoes and/or carrots to the curry.

5 Likes

Fantastic idea! I have enjoyed dried cherries steeped in port, usually as part of a green salad that includes goat cheese and hazelnuts or walnuts. The husband is a fan of scotch, so it will be fun to add this one to the repertoire.

1 Like

This makes both the figs and scotch taste good.

I always have cherries or dried figs steeped in various alcohol (scotch/red wine/port). I also use them to deglaze the pan and make a sauce for meat.

1 Like

Khao kha mu.

5 Likes

I like garlicky pâté. Store-bought pâté is not garlicky enough (save for Vietnamese) and I don’t trust all the fillers they put in it so I always make my own, with lamb/pig/calf’s liver. Chicken livers have only a fraction of the nutrients in comparison so I don’t waste my time and calories with them.

SV yolks as a sauce and dip.

4 Likes

Spaghetti alla carbonara.

4 Likes

Everything bagel, cream cheese, scallions from garden.

6 Likes

Instant Japanese curry with potatoes and carrots, rice, and scrambled eggs.

6 Likes

Char kuey teow following a recipe in Cradle of Flavor by James Oseland. Involved toasting some shrimp paste (belacan) in a foil packet over direct heat.

Also found the recipe online here: https://foodonthebrain.net/2008/08/17/char-kuey-teow/

Malaysian shrimp paste looks a bit different from the Thai kind.

6 Likes

I use Indonesian dried shrimp paste in nasi goreng and other things. I think it’s same or similar to Malaysian.

2 Likes

Do you have a good method of breaking those shrimp paste bricks up?

I just used a butter knife, wasn’t too hard to cut. I refrigerated the leftover stored in the original packaging inside a plastic zip bag.