Looking for Blue Cheese Suggestions

Rogue does a smoked blue that is one of my favorites. I am also partial to Jasper Hill Farms Bayley Hazen Blue.

6 Likes

I love trying Blues.
In the States, I like Maytag.

In Canada, most recently, Iā€™ve bought dolce latte Gorgonzola, and a small wedge of something more unusual and Iā€™m forgetting the name right now.

I buy Roquefort occasionally.

I used to buy Cambazola (more when I shopped at Costco), Bresse Blue, St Agur.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also Gorgonzola Cremificatoā€¦it takes Gorgonzola to ā€œ11ā€. Creamy, you serve it with a spoon.

4 Likes

Inspired by this thread, I grabbed a wedge of Cashel blue at Murrayā€™s when I was in Grand Central the other day. Itā€™s Irish - a Kerrygold product I believe. Very delicious! The outer edge has a cultured butter flavor while the interior is tangy and salty with mild funk. Would be a good gateway cheese for those unsure about blue.

7 Likes

I believe the other one is Bay Blue. Very different and very good. Btw, Trader Joeā€™s Carrieā€™s the original blue for a very good price, I think around $6 a piece.

3 Likes

I think you may be right! Welcome and thanks!

I like Cashel Blue, a lot!

It may be marketed where you by Kerrygold but it is very much a small production farmhouse cheese. Itā€™s one of the cheeses sold in the UK by Neals Yard Dairy (which has a shop in London but also sells across the UK by its online facility). This is from the shopā€™s website:

"When Tipperary farmers Louis and Jane Grubb created Cashel Blue in the 1980s, there were very few soft blue cheeses being made on the British Isles and no blue cheese at all being made in Ireland. So, in their embrace of blue mould, the Grubbs metaphorically broke the mould. Theirs remains very much a family operation: Cashel Blue is made in a purpose-built dairy designed by Louisā€™s brother Brian, and the coupleā€™s daughter Sarah and son-in-law Sergio now oversee the business. All of the milk used to make this richly creamy cheese (which is named after a nearby landmark, the Rock of Cashel) comes from within a 25km radius of the farm, including the Grubbsā€™ own herd of pedigree Friesians. "

5 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

I work in a cheese & wine shop. Yesterday a cheese rep came by and we tried an Italian buffalo milk blue. Not quite as creamy as the St. Agur, but close and lots of layers of flavor. Weā€™re in the middle of revamping our blue cheese selection, so Iā€™m looking forward this new one and hopefully bringing back the Cashel Blue. Roquefort has special associations for me since my Mom makes an amazing dressing for our holiday meal with it.

6 Likes

I second St. Augur. Hands down my favorite blue cheese!

4 Likes

Would you care to share the blue cheese recipe?
There is a salad dressing thread. It would be nice for you to share there so others that are not on this thread might enjoy.
Also here because it has to do with blue cheese?

Hereā€™s the link to the favorite salad dressing thread if you wish to share:

1 Like

@charliemyboy,
Aside from blue cheese we have something else in common - Afghan cuisine.

point reyes original blue is an excellent blue. Quite a bit different but also very good is gorgonzola dolce. Canā€™t go wrong with either.

3 Likes

The Carr Valley Wisconsin stuff is great

6 Likes

Please do share your Momā€™s recipe for the amazing dressing with the Roquefort. I lost my favorite recipe and am trying to find one to replace it.

1 Like

@Wtg2Retire:

Iā€™m not @BigWoodenSpoon, but hereā€™s an old one from Tyler Florence which is terrific:

1/2 c. mayo
1/2 c. + 1-2 T. good blue cheese (Maytag, for instance)
1/4 + 1-2 T. whole buttermilk
1/8 t. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/8 t. celery seed
10 cranks (+/-) freshly ground black pepper

Pulse everything in a food processor to desired texture. If you like, whisk in a few more chunks of blue cheese after processing for a chunkier texture.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried many different blues over the years, including Pt. Reyes, Stilton, St. Agur, various Spanish and Italian blues, etc., and enjoy many of them. When I was in Montreal a few years ago, I found there was a large variety of blues just from that immediate area. Still, none beat Roquefort to my taste. Of course it all comes down to personal preference. Very important to try them all at room temperature if possible ā€“ of course that goes for just about all cheese.

4 Likes

@MunchkinRedux, thank you so much.