Looking for Blue Cheese Suggestions

Do you have a blue cheese that you can recommend?

1 Like

Just to give you an idea of my tastes…
I’ve already tried Stilton, Gorgonzola and Rogue River Blue and enjoyed them all equally.

How can you miss out Roquefort!! Personally I like it a lot, but maybe it’s not everybody’s cup of tea as it has a tingly pungent taste, this sheep cheese probably is the strongest blue cheese.

How about Fourme d’Ambert, Bleu d’Auvergne?
Fourme d’Ambert is semi-hard cheese, with a earthy aroma, mild taste, one of the mild blue cow cheese.
Bleu d’Auvergne is a blue vien cow cheese, a mix of wild mushroom, woodland flowers flavour. It looks like Roquefort visually, but it is more creamy and subtle in taste.

Of course, I live in France, and they are all French cheese.

4 Likes

I like Point Reyes original Blue. There’s another but I don’t recall the name.

7 Likes

Blacksticks Blue is my favourite. Although, when it’s available, I do like Bournes Blue Cheshire. Mr & Mrs Bourne sell their farmhouse cheese at my local farmers market. They don’t reliably have the Blue for sale but it’s great when they do.

I’m also quite a fan of Stichelton. It’s made in similar fashion to a Stilton and is made in the permitted geographical area. However, it cannot be called Stilton as it uses unpasteurised milk - and only pasteurised milk is permitted for Stilton.

3 Likes

Stilton and Shropshire Blue, Cambozola (especially Black Label), Great Hill Blue, Gorgonzola Dolce…I’ve never met a Blue cheese I don’t like, except the wimpy kind…

1 Like

If you are in the states Pt Reyes.

1 Like

Wow… I should have read the thread first. You have excellent taste. :smirk:

4 Likes

I love all blue cheese, but St. Agur is one of my faves. Relatively easy to find - most Whole Foods or other higher-end grocery stores with a decent cheese selection (Wegmans, Stew Leonard’s, etc.) near me carry it. It’s creamy and soft, spreadable at room temp. Not too strong, although it gets a bit more assertive as it ripens.

3 Likes

Blue cheese isn’t one of my favorite types of cheese, so I haven’t had very many of them. Of those I’ve tried, I’d say I like Roquefort best, but all of them are fairly close as to how I’d rate them. Something about the way the richness of sheep’s milk combined with the blue flavor made Roquefort edge out the others for me.

Here’s what I’ve had:

Roquefort
Gorgonzola Mountain
Gorgonzola Dolce
Smokehaus Blue
Murray’s Bleu d’Auvergne
Point Reyes Original Blue
Grubb Family Cashel Blue
Champignon Cambozola Black Label
Stilton

5 Likes

@retrospek and

That’s the other one of my favorites!

2 Likes

Another vote for Point Reyes. Also Maytag.

8 Likes

And another vote for Point Reyes original Blue. We used to buy wheels of Maytag, it freezes beautifully. Bleu d’Auvergne is wonderful.

4 Likes

Shropshire is an adjacent county and I have tried this and it is tasty. It has an interesting total lack of regional provenance. It’s made in Leicestershire, not Shropshire., By probably the best known Stilton producer. Almost as a Stilton, but with the addition of colouring.

4 Likes

Bleu d’Auvergne is one of our favorites.

We we first had it as part of a cheese course at one of the highest ranked restaurants in NJ. Mr Bean asked about it and where we could get it and was told we’d never be able to find it. Well, don’t tell Mr Bean he can’t find something. He did eventually find it in a small local cheese shop and now it’s available in the large supermarket we shop in all the time.

4 Likes

Love how Mr Bean is so insistent! Good news that you can find it now!

4 Likes

I read somewhere that Roquefort is forbidden in US. Is it still the case?

It’s a blessing and a curse.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. I bought Roquefort at the Murray’s counter in a Kroger affiliate. Murray’s website shows it, too. https://www.murrayscheese.com/roquefort

I think raw milk cheeses have to be aged for a certain amount of time before they can be sold in the U.S.

Looks like there are some very stringent testing requirements that some cheeses have to pass to be allowed to be sold, too.

3 Likes

You can get Roquefort in the US. I have some in the fridge as I type this!

3 Likes