Lent 2021

Who else is making Lenten meals this year?

I’m leaning towards pescatarianism the whole 40 days of Catholic Lent this year. I happen to be half Greek, so I’ll continue past Western Easter with some Lenten meals until Orthodox Easter

Tonights arroz con calamares, made with Rotel tomatoes and arborio rice.

6 Likes

Mmm! Looks great @prima! I can do Greek Lent, for sure…

1 Like

Not us - no religious faith in this house.

2 Likes

It is typical whether you practice Roman Catholicism or not, one of our lunches includes:

Potaje de Bacalao ( wild cod fish, garbanzos (chickpeas) and spinach stew … Much more delicious than it sounds !

Torrijas (the Spanish medieval dessert of French toast): Key difference between the French and Spanish versions are:

We use Evoo (extra virgin olive oil, as we produce it) instead of butter like the French and we use Moscatel instead of Milk …

Amazingly fabulous !! The rest of the ingredients are the same as French Toast except the BREAD. The bread is a special bread ordered from one´s local bakery … It is NOT a white sandwich bread.

It is more like an egg - yellow thick braided bread, sliced. " Torrija Bread " …

3 Likes

Sounds delicious - so must be fantastic then.

Does that use fresh cod or the salted version?

1 Like

I prefer wild Cod or Skrei verses farm raised or salted cod …

Another very delicious dish is Clams with Artichokes and White Navy or Northern Beans, which is very common in Asturias.

1 Like

Mussels were on sale this week so we had mussels marinara last night but it was because of the sale not Lent.

2 Likes
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold