Leftover 2% Milk

I buy commodity 2% milk in gallons, usually from Costco or Trader Joe’s. I regularly find myself with a quart or more leftover as it nears the point I’d drink it but not yet sour. What can I do with it? I’ve tried ricotta but haven’t been happy with the results. I’m diabetic so sugar sweetened desserts are not an option but maybe some sort of custard sweetened with artificial sweetener? Thanks!

This is a “Glen & Friends Cooking” recipe from youtube. Could you substitute splenda or xylitol for the sugar?? It really is a GREAT cake!!
Hot Milk Cake

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

1¼ cup milk

6 Tbsp butter

2 cups all-purpose flour

1¼ tsp coarse salt

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla extract

Method: Preheat the oven to 165ºC (325°F). Grease a 9x13" cake pan. Beat the eggs and sugar together until they’re light and fluffy. In a pan on medium heat, bring the milk and butter almost to a boil. Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture; beating just enough to fully combine. Remove the pan with the milk and butter from the heat, add the vanilla and stir, slightly. Slowly mix the hot milk mixture into the cake batter, until smooth and well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool.

Use for bechamel

Convert to buttermilk and use in baked goods or other things

Quiche

Chicken or pork cooked in milk

2 Likes

You could use it as a marinade for beef, chicken and pork.

buying in quantity, only to throw some of it away, is false economy.
the cost of what you throw away is typically much more than the incremental unit cost of a smaller package/quantity.

old geezers cooking for two small appetites have this problem with pretty much everything in a supermarket.

4 Likes

In the cooler months I’ll make a clam or salmon chowder to utilize it. Potato soup, chicken and corn chowder, etc. Also, it’s good in English Muffin bread or a Sally Lunn type bread too.

3 Likes

yogurt?

1 Like

I thought this sounded familiar

3 Likes

You can make yogurt with any fat percentage of milk you wish.

Sounds like me! I usually have frozen milk in the freezer nowadays.

1 Like

If it’s only a day or two past the best by date it’s probably fine. Take a sniff.

I like Clover brand milk/half & half/cream.

One of the reasons I like the brand is that the packaging is waxed cardboard not plastic.

In addition to not being biodegradable, plastic causes milk to go bad more quickly than waxed cardboard. When I first noticed this I suspected that I was indulging confirmation bias due to my dislike of plastic. As it turns out, I was objectively correct. Plastic lets light in which hastens milk spoilage.

2 Likes

I’d probably stop buying gallons, but if you insist, freeze half while still fresh.

1 Like

Cream of [whatever] soup.

I’m not much on measuring and quantities for most cooking, but here’s my basic method: The [whatever] can be broccoli, asparagus, celery, cauliflower, many different kinds of squashes…almost anything that you might have sitting in your produce drawer. You’ll need about a pound of [whatever], more or less. Cut it up into chunks, and dice an onion. Throw the onion and a knob of butter into your soup pot until the onions are softened and translucent. Throw in the chunks of [whatever] and 2-3 cups of chicken broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook the [whatever] over low heat until it’s soft. In a separate saucepan, make a blonde roux with about a third to half a cup of flour and the appropriate amount of butter. To the roux, add about a quart of your leftover milk, and heat to thicken, stirring frequently. When the [whatever] is done, buzz it with a stick blender (or carefully in a jar blender, in batches) until smooth. Combine everything in the soup pot, stir, adjust whatever seasonings you might like, and serve. Garnish? I’m not a garnishy kinda guy, but paprika or chives or bacon lardons or a handful of parm or parsley…if you find it pretty and tasty, go for it. Mrs. ricepad likes some super sour sourdough to go with it.

2 Likes

Freeze
Feed to the cat or dog (mine love it)
Lot of options have been mentioned already. I use milk at times to make sort of creamed spinach. That was with full fat milk, but it should work with the lower fat percentage as well. You basically boil/stir fry spinach in milk till it has mostly evaporated.
Chocolat milk?
Anijsmelk (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anijsmelk)?
Nescaffee made with milk instead of water? Or coffee
Gotta be lots more :wink:

1 Like

Masala chai. Steep the tea in milk that has been brought to a simmer.

Mac & Cheese
Scalloped potatoes
Tuna casserole
Strata / savoury bread pudding

1 Like

I regularly do the sniff (and if need be taste) test to verify that milk or milk-like products have gone bad. You are probably safe. Now if you get the unexpected chunks, that’s a whole different story. That happens with my light cream for coffee sometimes. 98% of the time I use it all up. Every once in a while I get a quart that mysteriously starts to curdle even before the sell by date. It doesn’t smell funky, but all of a sudden I get the little chunk in my coffee. :face_with_spiral_eyes: That’s when it’s time to go.

1 Like

Have you considered simply buying smaller quantities, especially if this is a regular issue you run into?

1 Like

Excellent. I’m guessing that there are more than a cup or so to use up. There are a myriad milk based soups from just about every pureed vegetable, fish and shellfish.
Mac and cheese.
Lasagna.
Moussaka.
Creamed chicken or turkey or tuna or…

2 Likes

Yes, so many different ways! Good point on a Béchamel sauce using a lot. Add some cheese for a sauce Mornay of course.

1 Like

For something different, Chinese fried-milk (non dessert version):

1 Like